The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

19 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

So the support band last night was a called Ol’ Times and they were not my usual cup of tea but for the couple of ‘rock’ aficionados I was with they were mighty impressed, it was a blistering non stop 45 minutes stuff like this, with all the blues breaks, guitar solos, screaming vocals, and drum solos that I would associate with this kind of stuff. So a first for me to hear it live and I thought it sounded like maybe it would be up the streets of @rjw63 and / or @Rugeley Villa

Claret and blue bass...surely not?

5 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Have a look at this festival line up and guess the year 

Hide contents

yep , 2024 …

IMG_0728.png

lol Tolhurst and Budgie kinda gave it away as their album only just came out and they’ve not played gigs yet

But how / why are General Public playing when Ranking Roger is dead

At scala in London tonight for the rescheduled View gig 

honestly the venue is ducking amazing  , hidden bars everywhere , good acoustics  , I’ve seen Big Country about 16 times and this was the most Scottish gig I’ve ever been to , but wow what a gig it was .. and I knew. Zero ,view songs 

spangled did the support , bit embarrassing that they recognised me and came over to give me a hug and have a chat ,  i still hope they make it big , alas they won’t 

I left home tonight planning on. not drinking , as I’ve left the gig I’ve just ordered another double rum .. will probably miss the last train out of Waterloo …for me that’s a measure of a great gig 

Who knew the View were not just fighters 

• Like 1

On 03/12/2023 at 10:02, chrisp65 said:

So the support band last night was a called Ol’ Times and they were not my usual cup of tea but for the couple of ‘rock’ aficionados I was with they were mighty impressed, it was a blistering non stop 45 minutes stuff like this, with all the blues breaks, guitar solos, screaming vocals, and drum solos that I would associate with this kind of stuff. So a first for me to hear it live and I thought it sounded like maybe it would be up the streets of @rjw63 and / or @Rugeley Villa

Not bad at all. 

Decent gig on Wednesday night had me missing one of the best games we've played in bloody years apparently, couldn't believe it when I came out and saw the score.

Alpha Wolf, Comeback Kid and The Amity Affliction.

Didn't think much of Comeback Kid tbh, it's crazy to me they got a longer set than Alpha Wolf, might have been a bigger band 2 years ago but not anymore. First time in a long while I've spent a set at the bar as I find them a bit dull. 

Amity are always brilliant live. Joel makes a point of fistbumping as many of the people who surf over the barrier as he can, so I tried to set a high score. 4 fistbumps out of 5, not bad :D 

My last gig of the year is While She Sleeps, Holding Abscence, Guilty Trip and Mouth Culture in a couple of weeks, that'll be 17 for the year, not including festivals, my best year for live music since before covid

On 05/12/2023 at 10:05, tonyh29 said:

Tickets booked for Idles in November 

time to hit the gym and get fighting fit for the mosh pit :D 

6 hours ago, osmark86 said:

Get a perm

How big will the venue be, because some times they play quite small places…

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

How big will the venue be, because some times they play quite small places…

Yeah it will definitely be bigger than that :)

Alexander Palace is the one I’m going to 

• Like 1

Another Suede gig…   Portsmouth tonight 

this one was a bit different / special , as I went with my son and daughter , we’ve been to camp Bestival and stuff loads of times but this was our  first kinda proper gig with a bouncing crowd etc.

we chose front left and when Brett Anderson came out into the crowd as he always does we had a great view of him as he wandered through about a foot in front of us 

they won’t forget tonight I’m sure 

• Like 3

£150 for a standing ticket to see the killers next year… going rate this year seemed to be around £90 for the big gigs

someone is really taking the piss now with these prices , don’t know if it’s the artists or the venues / promoters ?

Edited by tonyh29

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

£150 for a standing ticket to see the killers next year… going rate this year seemed to be around £90 for the big gigs

someone is really taking the piss now with these prices , don’t know if it’s the artists or the venues / promoters ?

Solution: check out your local live music scene instead. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Solution: check out your local live music scene instead. 

yeah i do   ...  saw some unsigned band on Sat night in the London Stone in Staines for  £5  .. and I've been to quite  few of the "This feeling" gigs where they promote new unsigned artists in London 

its just a general observation really that bands / promoters have got greedy  , I wouldn't pay £50 to see the Killers yet alone £150 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

All of them. It’s kinda worked out backwards. Artist decides what profit they need, then works out the costs of their side (crew equipment hire etc) Agent then adds his fees to that. Promoter then works out their costs, local crew, venue, publicity etc and obviously chucks his 20% profit on top. Shows that aren't guaranteed sellouts will have about a 10% wiggle room in the sales, if they do sell ou then it probably be an 80/20 split between artist and promoter. It gets a bit different higher up the food chain with sponsorship and other nonsense but that’s the basics.

• Thanks 1

Take something pretty special for me to shell out more than £50 on a ticket, but I rarely bother with arena shows never mind stadiums, be surprised if my average for the year worked out much more than £25

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â