The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

On 19/09/2023 at 12:29, Xann said:

https://www.haringey.gov.uk/parking-roads-and-travel/parking/controlled-parking-zones-cpzs/muswell-hill-cpz/muswell-hill-cpz-map

Alexandra Palace is a great place to hang on Summer weekday, but for events it's hit and miss. Don't think I've been to larger event there with enough bogs. It's sort of ok for the guys because the bar in the building makes for a reasonably quick piss. Gals aren't so lucky.

The acoustics in the hall are a bit whack too, it could do with diffusers, a la the Royal Albert Hall. They may have offset that with a tailor made 
PA? Been swerving the place for years.

I was really impressed tbh. The queues for the ladies was insane, but I was in and out of the gents in 2-3 minutes each time, even right after a set, really quick to get in and out of the venue, really good drinks, decent food (obviously overpriced, but you know), and the acoustics were pretty good. No idea if the band brought their own, and there were big sheets hanging from the ceiling that were presumably for some dampening, but it sounded much better than any gigs I've been to in Nottingham or Birmingham in recent years.

Hell of a show as well, I've never seen an arena size gig with so much energy in the crowd in my **** life, at one point I tapped out of a circle pit, stepped out, looked around and realised I was in the middle of 3 intense circle pits, it was just **** bedlam.

Only downside is the floor, my knees are absolutely killing me from 3 hours of jumping and running around on concrete. Definitely the floor and not just me getting too old for this shit :D 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Xann said:

Armando Iannucci is looking to bring 'Dr Strangelove' to the stage next year.

Give theatre a wide berth as default, but he's a clever bloke. It could be alright, couldn't it?   :detect:

Definitely interested in seeing this one. Don't think it'd work with anyone other than Ianucci doing it (give or take Chris Morris, maybe).

• Like 1

On 24/09/2023 at 01:38, Xann said:

Armando Iannucci is looking to bring 'Dr Strangelove' to the stage next year.

Give theatre a wide berth as default, but he's a clever bloke. It could be alright, couldn't it?   :detect:

Tickets on sale now, Steve Coogan the main cast announcement so far.  Currently in the throes of buying a couple for the last Friday in October next year (25th).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Blast from the past night in Guildford tonight with a Flock of Seagulls 

Gig was decent enough ….that  hair is looooong gone 

I think I've posted this before but as a former hairdresser, Mike used way too much hairspray :D 

He's a workaholic, must do close to 300 gigs a year. I'm shocked they came back to the UK tbh, always more popular in US and Canada and earns far more over there than here

I went for a drink with him after a Liverpol gig a few years ago because my mate was their TM. Nice enough bloke but then I left when Ian McCulloch turned up as.... well Mac is just a wee bit of an arsehole these days

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

I think I've posted this before but as a former hairdresser, Mike used way too much hairspray :D 

He's a workaholic, must do close to 300 gigs a year. I'm shocked they came back to the UK tbh, always more popular in US and Canada and earns far more over there than here

I went for a drink with him after a Liverpol gig a few years ago because my mate was their TM. Nice enough bloke but then I left when Ian McCulloch turned up as.... well Mac is just a wee bit of an arsehole these days

The boiler room in Guildford must only hold about 100 people , so it was a strange venue for them to be playing … his wife was there , she’s about as Liverpudlian as it’s possible to be 

talking of Ian Mc , he’s playing the boiler room in a few months time , haven’t decided whether to go or not yet , was never a huge fan of his stuff 

14 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

talking of Ian Mc , he’s playing the boiler room in a few months time , haven’t decided whether to go or not yet , was never a huge fan of his stuff 

Check out the recent documentary on / featuring him on Sky Arts.

Embarrassing doesn't do it justice he's that coked up 

• Thanks 1

Saw New Order on Friday night 

I’ve sorta avoided them in favour of Peter Hook gigs ( seen him 4 times) but I was quite impressed even if Gillian Gilbert looked like someone’s mum had won a competition to play keyboards for the night :)

The whole package with the sound system the light show was really well done even managed to make the 02 sound like a decent venue for a change 

I’m seeing Peter Hook at Hammersmith in a couple of weeks , I fear New Order have ruined it for me 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Saw New Order on Friday night 

I’ve sorta avoided them in favour of Peter Hook gigs ( seen him 4 times) but I was quite impressed even if Gillian Gilbert looked like someone’s mum had won a competition to play keyboards for the night :)

The whole package with the sound system the light show was really well done even managed to make the 02 sound like a decent venue for a change 

I’m seeing Peter Hook at Hammersmith in a couple of weeks , I fear New Order have ruined it for me 

Yeah but Hooky is less of twunt than Barney imo

I have no interest in seeing either these days tbh

NO play venues that are too big and I'm no fan of their recent output since reformation. PHatL are a tribute band that contains one member of the original band

25 minutes ago, bickster said:

Yeah but Hooky is less of twunt than Barney imo

I have no interest in seeing either these days tbh

NO play venues that are too big and I'm no fan of their recent output since reformation. PHatL are a tribute band that contains one member of the original band

arguably the key element of the band though .. his gigs are great ,  usually in front of a few hundred people ( sub89 reading last time I saw him)  so really intimate and he'll engage with the crowd , some woman was attending her 100th PH&tl gig last time out so he let her choice the final song of the night 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

arguably the key element of the band though .. his gigs are great ,  usually in front of a few hundred people ( sub89 reading last time I saw him)  so really intimate and he'll engage with the crowd , some woman was attending her 100th PH&tl gig last time out so he let her choice the final song of the night 

You won't find me disagreeing with that. I completely lost interest once Hooky was booted out. Hence why I also said that he's a better person than Barney because Barney is generally a bit of a Grade A asswipe

• Like 1

On 26/09/2023 at 12:55, GarethRDR said:

Tickets on sale now, Steve Coogan the main cast announcement so far.  Currently in the throes of buying a couple for the last Friday in October next year (25th).

got my tickets , just got to wait a year now and hope Dispatches don't do a  piece on him in the meantime :) 

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I was tempted by tenacious d, but it's £150 for a standing ticket. They can **** all of the way off, and when they get there, they can **** off some more.

Saw PJ Harvey on Friday, £75. £40 for a tee. Frugal visuals. No support.

Screenshot2023-10-05at11_47_14.thumb.png.cca7e8572d20cf1fba35f705c5a3f268.png

Same money, for the best tickets!

https://www.southbankcentre.co.uk/whats-on/classical-music/marin-alsop-conducts-rhapsody-blue?eventId=849951

Next time you see gouging money for a gig you were hoping to see, you might consider seeing an orchestral concert instead?

First ever time, last night going to the Thekla in Bristol - what a great little venue.

Saw Do Nothing who were pretty decent and supported by Humour, who were excellent. 

Got back home in Devon before half midnight too so not too bad (although back at work this morning 6 hours later)

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â