The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

On 20/08/2023 at 09:26, chrisp65 said:

Does it count as concert / gig if I’ve been and seen arts stuff?

A week of Fringe and once we’d worked out how to do it and got a gauge on how far apart places were we were up and running (literally, the week’s step count is ridiculous for a week of sitting down watching stuff) we really properly enjoyed it.

Saw a few plays, one man spoken word shows, comedians, musicals, power point presentations, cabaret and a whole load of random undefinable stuff in between. 

From a production on clarinet describing the lives of the Rosenbergs, executed by the USA for giving away atomic secrets to the Soviets, to a woman naked except for a popcorn machine strapped to her head who when the popcorn started flying out everywhere, squatted and produced a salt cellar.

What was brilliant (for me), was every time there was a clash of timing between seeing a known name, like Ed Byrne, Frank Skinner, or something utterly random and unknown we chose the random and it felt like the right decision every time. Got to the end of the week and we hadn’t seen one ‘established’ performer. Probably just as well with most shows being around an hour and a fiver or a tenner, had we done ‘names’ they would have still been an hour but £20 or £25 each and that would soon start to rack up.

Best way to do the fringe, the established acts are there to be ignored

All those years ago when I worked up there, we were lucky enough to see stuff like the Reduced Shakespeare Company and a whole bunch of stuff no-one had ever heard of... yet and some never again but it was mainly brilliant

The only exceptions being the f***ing dogshit American AmDram shows where rich Americans paid a stupid amount of money to take their shitty bollox and prima donna attitudes to the EdinBro Fringe. Unfortunately that was the bollex I was working at :crylaugh: 

A classic example, an interpretative dance show based on Man emerging from the primordial soup (didn't have the heart to tell them the billions of years between the two events), performed with 2 smoke machines and lots of strobes and flashing lights and of course they had to perform it naked, this show was booked for the entire three weeks in the 10am slot and because of the light and sound requirements required two operators for every show. First show of the day and some pretentious rich americans were really putting me off my breakfast. The only positive was the music but even that was something I'd listen to before bed, not first thing in the morning. At least it meant the second and thrird Sunday was a lie in because we didn't have to do another dress rehearsal. We'd have to toss a coin before each show, sound man on the balcony behind the stage was always preferable because you could do the crossword, the downside was you got the rear view but that was largely avoidable. I think they manged to get a crowd of 5 to one show...

EDIT: Is the fringe Club still going in one of the Student Unions, that was one of the best bits for us because as staff we were automatically members so entry was free, beer was cheap, it used to go on way past our shows finishing and they'd put on guest spots by a lot of the acts from other shows. We'd get ballooned, laugh our heads off, crawl home and get up again three hours later to crawl back in again

Went to a gig last night in a church hall. Very Mock Tudor interior which is a little odd. The night is a sort of semi regular thing entitled the experimental folk night. This is the third gig they’ve done.

First act was the girl who organises the nights band, great voice but pretty dreadful, she was one of the two main reasons we went as my mate Joe wants her to sing on some of his new tracks. I forget their name

Second act was the other reason we went, Samya. Solo, singer songwriter in the sort of Fiest / Carol King vein. Such a nice voice and great songs. She's the daughter of an old friend.

Third act, some three piece based in Manchester le@d by an American, Guitar or violin and vocals with a double bass and keyboards, quite good. Missed the final band because the missus decided to catch an earlier train from London so I had to pick her up.

Anyway, we saw what we wanted to see and met up with our old friends Saida (Samya's Mum) and her husband to be, another old friend Mick (Head). Who both declared they were only talking about me the other night and then I appeared like magic. Also got talking to Samya, who also declared she'd heard a lot about me… quite shocked really that this household talks about me, many years later :D 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Holy shit, @sne, were you ever right about Daniel Nordgren. Just back from the Brudenell with the missus, and we both agreed that was one of the best gigs either of us had ever seen. And we've seen a lot. Stunningly good cosmic Americana, played by five Swedish blokes. Loved it. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Holy shit, @sne, were you ever right about Daniel Nordgren. Just back from the Brudenell with the missus, and we both agreed that was one of the best gigs either of us had ever seen. And we've seen a lot. Stunningly good cosmic Americana, played by five Swedish blokes. Loved it. 

Nice! Great to hear.

2 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Ignorance Top Trumps I win I think, heard of Pigs and potentially The Itch. Someone may have been listening to them and loving them recently. Possibly @Chindie @Wainy316 or @Designer1 or youtube served them up.

Pigs x7 may have been me. Love em.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Ignorance Top Trumps I win I think, heard of Pigs and potentially The Itch. Someone may have been listening to them and loving them recently. Possibly @Chindie @Wainy316 or @Designer1 or youtube served them up.

I wouldn’t be expecting many people to have heard of many of them, that’s not the point of the festival.

It’s small bands playing small venues all around the walking distance centre of town.

You’ll recognise the knob twiddler in Utopia Strong and I’d imagine you’ve heard TVAM but not realised it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

spacer.png

So, £65 gets me:

Ani Glas

BC Camplight

Flamingods

Pigs 7

Los Blancos

TVAM

The Utopia Strong

that might well be worth a punt.

If that was here, I'd have bought a ticket already

You missed these....

Opus Kink

Willie J Healy

Hak Baker

Pip Blom

Bill Ryder-Jones

Lynks

Hell the Friday night opening party is a gig I'd go to on it's own

• Like 2

The Coral are touring soon and supported by Gruff Rhys - sadly the gigs are only in Liverpool (understandably as home gig), Glasgow, Manchester and London… grrr 

also found out The Goa Express gig in Bristol has been cancelled and not being rescheduled… double grr

Anyone been to gigs at Alexandra Palace before? I'm guessing that trying to park at the venue is a very stupid thing to do?

Going to see While She Sleeps, Bury Tomorrow and Polaris at the weekend, hell of a lineup!

8 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Anyone been to gigs at Alexandra Palace before? I'm guessing that trying to park at the venue is a very stupid thing to do?

No idea on the parking scenario, but it is one of the venues that takes a tube and bus ride out to get to, so if you were say relying on a train home after from Waterloo and your last one was around midnight, you might find yourself with one eye on the clock to make sure you got back in time.

21 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Going to see While She Sleeps, Bury Tomorrow and Polaris at the weekend, hell of a lineup!

Not been to Ally Pally but when I drive to London gigs I tend to park at Finchley Central and tube in from there as it’s about 10 minute drive from M1.

Looking at where it’s at it seems like it’s the middle of nowhere! What about prebooking some parking with one of the parking apps like JustPark? 

41 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I dropped my daughter off via public transport for Give it a name festival in 2005. We were on the train and tube but I do recall that there wasnt much parking, but thats 17 years ago and time moves etc.

https://www.haringey.gov.uk/parking-roads-and-travel/parking/controlled-parking-zones-cpzs/muswell-hill-cpz/muswell-hill-cpz-map

Muswell Hill doesn't have a tube or train, the controlled parking isn't total.

If you were making a day of it? You could happily get a free parking space with a 10-15 minute walk to AP. Mus is a bit dull, it's not somewhere to fear for your vehicle or safety, particularly

If you're piling in at the same time as the other concert goers then you might consider using Alexandra Palace BR, or the 134 which you could get all the way from Warren St in Town, or the Northen Line stations? Highgate is actually the nearest, but you could get a drink in Camden and hop on the bus there?

Alexandra Palace is a great place to hang on Summer weekday, but for events it's hit and miss. Don't think I've been to larger event there with enough bogs. It's sort of ok for the guys because the bar in the building makes for a reasonably quick piss. Gals aren't so lucky.

The acoustics in the hall are a bit whack too, it could do with diffusers, a la the Royal Albert Hall. They may have offset that with a tailor made 
PA? Been swerving the place for years.

• Like 1

So there's absolutely no problem just rocking up before doors and using free street parking at Ally pally. And Sierra Nevada on tap, result.

A venue with a concrete floor seems completely unsuitable for this kind of gig though. Some people are getting hurt on this tonight.

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â