The Other Music Thread - DnB, Dub, Reggae, Techno et al.....

trimandson

Idle browse through upcoming London shows has thrown up this...

FB_IMG_1727466616317.thumb.jpg.b635ad7c36ebde76c9e43628e0cb864d.jpg

May have fallen out of love with this stuff some time around it's early 00's enshittification, but this would delight teenage me. It'll be a day after my driving test, so it'll either be a celebration or commiseration party.

https://mixmag.net/read/a-guy-called-gerlad-received-blue-plaque-voodoo-ray-news

Of all the defining tunes of my chosen scene, probably the one I've never really got. The history, the story, the legend, amazing. On the dancefloor (and it's almost certainly an age thing as I missed the peal of Acid/Chicago/Detroit/Hacienda) - it's a tune, but I genuinely gutted I never heard it in it's 'desired habitat' 

• Like 1

Before my time that, the first song that pops to mind for me when it comes to big stanky TB-303 riffs is Higher State Of Consciousness.

39 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

Before my time that, the first song that pops to mind for me when it comes to big stanky TB-303 riffs is Higher State Of Consciousness.

Still now, any dancefloor, any time of day, that tune absolutely **** BANGS

• Like 1

On 27/09/2024 at 22:04, GarethRDR said:

Idle browse through upcoming London shows has thrown up this...

FB_IMG_1727466616317.thumb.jpg.b635ad7c36ebde76c9e43628e0cb864d.jpg

May have fallen out of love with this stuff some time around its early 00's enshittification, but this would delight teenage me. It'll be a day after my driving test, so it'll either be a celebration or commiseration party.

Sweet Jesus, what a memory that brings back.

For An Angel probably my favourite trance song - I reckon I’d still love it, even though (like yourself) I swayed away from trance in the early 00’s.

• Like 1

I'm hoping the whole set will be geared that way towards the old classics, your Flaming Junes, your Saltwaters, Greece 2000 etc. As a birthday trip last year my wife took me on a trip to the Melkweg in Amsterdam for one of the Coldharbour trance nights, something a wide-eyed young GarethRDR would have been desperate to do back in the day. I didn't know pretty much 90% of the modern tracks but it was still good fun, and of the tunes that got played that I did know, two of them were amongst my all time favourites (Art Of Trance's Madagascar and Der Dritte Raum's Hale Bopp).

Gun to my head, Sasha's Xpander would probably be my number 1, if I had to pick just one.

Edited by GarethRDR

Thanks @GarethRDR - just listening to some of my favourite trance/dance tunes from those times… actually got goosebumps listening to For An Angel :D. Must be a good decade or so since I last heard it; what a track.

It must be my number one. There’s definitely some honourable mentions though:

Veracocha - Carte Blanche (probably the closest challenger)
Paul Oakenfold - Southern Sun (Tiësto Remix)
Rank 1 - Airwave
Ferry Corsten - Adagio for Strings
Push - Strange World
Cosmic Gate - Fire Wire

There’s actually so many, and that’s not touching on Silence, Saltwater etc etc 

Edit: Anahera just came on; that’s right up there. 

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

Push - Strange World

Yes, yes OMG yes. I know Universal Nation was the big hit for Mike Dierickx and would probably go down in the trance oeuvre as his most beloved piece, but Strange World is absolutely tops of all his work for me, without a shadow of a doubt.

I reckon I could probably boil it down to a personal top 10 using a yardstick of "would/do I still listen to them occasionally now?".  In no particular order, there would have to be:

• The aforementioned Xpander, Hale Bopp (Jackdaw mix, specifically) and Madagascar (Ferry Corsten mix, of course) plus...
  • Solar Stone - Seven Cities (Atlantis mix)
  • Transa - Supernova
  • WestBam vs Red Jerry - Wizards of the Sonic (Matt Darey mix)
  • Starecase - Not So Blue
  • James Holden - Horizons... I got to catch James Holden supporting Michael Rother earlier this year and it was a bit of a weird one as you had this largely disinterested older crowd during Holden's set who were naturally only really there for the Neu! stuff, Holden himself has long since moved on from his early Horizons-era tech-trance to sort of minimalistic tribal techno/ambient breaks but I did grab him whilst he was packing up to briefly lavish effusive praise on how important and formative a piece Horizons was for me back in the day (was essentially a gateway track from that European-melodic sound into more progressive stuff), which to my relief he was seemeingly happy to hear.
  • Sun Decade - I'm Alone (Ronski Speed mix)
  • Evolution - Phoenix (Breeder remix)

That list is missing some heavy hitters as well (Synaesthesia, Café Del Mar, 1998, Out Of The Blue, Urban Train, Heaven Scent, Love Stimulation, Mystery Land etc).  I've still got some of the old Euphoria CDs that get a spin every now and then when I'm feeling all nostalgic, plus some of the React and Platipus records compilations (React's 21st Century Deep Trance comp is wall-to-wall brilliance).

Profess my ignorance on Anahera, that one's after my time.  Will give it a quick listen...

Ah it's a Gouryella joint, well I'm confident I'm onto something I'll like then. :D

Hmm, interesting that one, as I do like, but it is essentially Tenshi with a bit of a facelift, isn't it?  That said I loved Tenshi though, so if it ain't broke!

Edited by GarethRDR

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â