144 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of Nando's?

• Love it!
    • Like it
    • Its ok but over-rated
    • Don't like it
    • Never eaten there

This poll is closed to new votes

There's a family run Portuguese place opposite the Nandos here.

There's no competition. Mina's has better food and it's £4 a pint.

The skewers arrive on a hanger so the meaty juices drip onto the chips 😮

images.jpg.0eee97562850603c0ffe078502b82eb7.jpg

• Like 3

A couple of years ago we went to an independent Portugese restaurant in Essex that was fantastic, the fish dishes especially. 

• Like 1

Chicken Butterfly, Extra Hot, with a side of garlic bread and either corn or spicy rice.  Use the garlic bread to construct own burger.  Vusa, XX Hot and Garlic sauces on the table for choice.  Wing roulette if feeling really porky.  That's the trick.  I'm always feeling really porky.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, mjmooney said:

A couple of years ago we went to an independent Portugese restaurant in Essex that was fantastic, the fish dishes especially. 

fish cataplana definitely triggers pleasure receptors in the brain.

• Like 1

Never understood the hype for Nando's. 

Tried several times and always felt it tasted average, was overpriced and not as good as elsewhere or you could make at home.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Never understood the hype for Nando's. 

Tried several times and always felt it tasted average, was overpriced and not as good as elsewhere or you could make at home.

me neither but then I'm not their target market, they seemingly did really well with teenagers and the first date / young love crowd, date night before the cinema and stuff like that, they're a step up from mcdonalds / burger king etc and the timing was perfect between people realising that frankie and bennies was shit and chiquitos kept messing their menu and quality up and before the likes of five guys etc etc

i always preferred the gourmet burger company but at that time, lets say mid 00s?? i reckon the cheap night out food place to go was the local spoons so i can see why they took off

On 04/09/2024 at 15:03, sidcow said:

It's all about Popeyes with the kids now. 

Popeyes in the US is decent. In the UK it's awful. Still, not a patch on the lord's chicken. Can't wait for chik-fil-a to open up in the UK next year.

1 hour ago, choffer said:

Can't wait for chik-fil-a to open up in the UK next year.

That happening?  We had their first pop-up down the road in Reading, protestors managed to get the lease pulled after 6 months.

11 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

That happening?  We had their first pop-up down the road in Reading, protestors managed to get the lease pulled after 6 months.

Yep. I remember it well. When we went to The Oracle to sample it, there were two teenage lesbians with careful now banners protesting outside  

They’ve played down their xtian stance in recent years so hopefully it sticks around a bit longer this time. 
They announced their intention to return about a year ago with a plan to start opening in 2025. Can’t find any details on where though. 

Edited by choffer
Typo

On 04/09/2024 at 15:58, GarethRDR said:

Chicken Butterfly, Extra Hot, with a side of garlic bread and either corn or spicy rice.  Use the garlic bread to construct own burger.  Vusa, XX Hot and Garlic sauces on the table for choice.  Wing roulette if feeling really porky.  That's the trick.  I'm always feeling really porky.

genius...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, choffer said:

Can't wait for chik-fil-a to open up in the UK next year.

Another strange American brand name. I'm guessing that the 'a' is meant to be pronounced 'ay', as in the French pronunciation of 'filet'. But I'll be most Brits will instinctively see it as 'fil-ah'. Just as McDonalds' 'filet-o-fish' tends to be pronounced 'fillet of fish' here. Nobody says 'fill-ay'. 

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Another strange American brand name. I'm guessing that the 'a' is meant to be pronounced 'ay', as in the French pronunciation of 'filet'. But I'll be most Brits will instinctively see it as 'fil-ah'. Just as McDonalds' 'filet-o-fish' tends to be pronounced 'fillet of fish' here. Nobody says 'fill-ay'. 

You’re right of course but I’m not worried how to pronounce it. I just want their chicken. 

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I think that must be a Yorkshire thing, I've never heard anyone pronounce filet with an Ah sound at the end. Not even Mark E Smith

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

I think that must be a Yorkshire thing, I've never heard anyone pronounce filet with an Ah sound at the end. Not even Mark E Smith

No, you misunderstood me. 

I agree - 'filet' in the UK (unless you're consciously referencing the French 'filet mignon') would just tend to become 'fillet' (hard 't'). But that hyphen in 'Chick-fil-a' changes things. I certainly didn't see it as meaning 'Chick filet'. 

Perhaps I'm not explaining myself well. 

Or perhaps I'm just dim. 

Don't answer that. 

On 20/02/2009 at 15:29, tonyh29 said:

never been ..there's one near me in Staines where i go to the cinema but to be honest I always end up in the place next door that does a pretty good steak ..including a 64 oz challenge that I really must attempt sometime before i die

15 years later and I’ve still never been to one !!

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â