The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

No idea why but i love the Green Hornet.

Its a proper guilty pleasure of mine, i think its the fact that it doesn't take itself too seriously (aka 90's comic book films) but it doesn't come off as cheesy because of it.

Comic Book films are far too dark and broody these days for my liking, still yet to see guardians of the galaxy but i'm hoping i will enjoy it.

Just back from the imitation game

Might be a bit slow for everyone's taste but I thought it was great film , some nice humour in there without going over the top

Good performance by Cumberbatch , he may not stop Gyllenhall winning the Oscar but he should at least make one of two of the voters think twice before accepting their bribes

Shocking treatment of man who should be more widely known than he is , hopefully the film will address this... I wonder what else he could have achieved had he not died at 41 ... Would we now be further advanced in our inventions had he lived to be 80 i wonder ?

I think Alan Turing is quite well known! Particularly for his prosecution for homosexuality (only 60 years ago, mental) and subsequent pardon.

I hear the film takes some wild liberties with the truth. Even having him down as a traitor at one point. Not sure his life needed to be over dramatised, it was dramatic enough. Disappointing.

This really is an outrage and a lot of geeks are boycotting.

I think it amounts to yet another betrayal.

in my mind they didnt though - 

he knows the identity of a russian spy, the said russian spy knows that he is gay and threatens to out him if he reveals his identity, which would have seen turing booted out of bletchley before his machine was completed, turing hesitates and doesnt tell anyone, its not implied that he's a traitor or a sympathiser, and didn't even take it as him being scared of being outed, to me it implied that he was that desperate to finish what he started that was the length he was willing to go to, a lot of the film focuses on his obsession with "Christopher" it skirts around it having very little to do with the war effort, he is portrayed as very cold and unlikable but traitor is a bit harsh, he does eventually reveal the identity of the spy, and the side story of the manc detective trying to show him up as a traitor pretty much symbolises this, when turing reveals everything to him at the end and the detective no longer thinks he's a traitor and you can see the guilt at what he's done to him, the interview between turing and the detective is pretty much an idiots guide to what the last 2 hours have told you, it summarises the whole film and i think ends with the words "war hero"

of course they take some liberties with the story but "outrage" is a bit much, they portray him as a cock, they quietly suggest the ridiculousness of the homosexuality laws and they show him as a genius, not sure what else you want

he knows the identity of a russian spy, the said russian spy knows that he is gay and threatens to out him if he reveals his identity, which would have seen turing booted out of bletchley before his machine was completed, turing hesitates and doesnt tell anyone, its not implied that he's a traitor or a sympathiser, and didn't even take it as him being scared of being outed, to me it implied that he was that desperate to finish what he started that was the length he was willing to go to, a lot of the film focuses on his obsession with "Christopher" it skirts around it having very little to do with the war effort, he is portrayed as very cold and unlikable but traitor is a bit harsh, he does eventually reveal the identity of the spy, and the side story of the manc detective trying to show him up as a traitor pretty much symbolises this, when turing reveals everything to him at the end and the detective no longer thinks he's a traitor and you can see the guilt at what he's done to him, the interview between turing and the detective is pretty much an idiots guide to what the last 2 hours have told you, it summarises the whole film and i think ends with the words "war hero"

of course they take some liberties with the story but "outrage" is a bit much, they portray him as a cock, they quietly suggest the ridiculousness of the homosexuality laws and they show him as a genius, not sure what else you want

I haven't seen the film and so I am only reporting what I have read and heard in reviews.

Some guy who worked at Bletchley said that the storyline was infeasible because the security was so strict, that people from different sections would never have met.

Geeks are very protective towards Turing.

I am just glad that he wasn't cast as an American and his taste in shirts caused no offence.  :)

I haven't seen the film and so I am only reporting what I have read and heard in reviews.

Some guy who worked at Bletchley said that the storyline was infeasible because the security was so strict, that people from different sections would never have met.

Geeks are very protective towards Turing.

I am just glad that he wasn't cast as an American and his taste in shirts caused no offence.  :)

Isn't there an american version where he has to choose a cup off a table full of cups and there's a monkey and you can't decide who's side the monkey is on and some old bloke melts?

• Like 2

Saw the mockingjay pt1 last night. Easily as good as the first 2. I think they're decent films in their own right, you don't have to be female or a fan to enjoy them. Of course having JLaw to look at helps to keep your attention.

Guardians of the Galaxy was very enjoyable. Lots of fun. Easily the best Marvel film I've seen (pretty much all the others have been pants in my opinion).

I agree, Ironman was probably the only other Marvel film I would call good. 

Superhero movies being overly serious just isn't to my taste. Light hearted, not too serious is fun. 

Saw the mockingjay pt1 last night. Easily as good as the first 2. I think they're decent films in their own right, you don't have to be female or a fan to enjoy them. Of course having JLaw to look at helps to keep your attention.

I hope you went with a chick on the promise of sex otherwise No ... Just no
  • Like 1

As a 9 year old the 1st one was far from "meh"

As soon as they said they created a new dinosaur they lost me, looks like set pieces and cliches, I don't think the park or a new bad ass dinosaur has any legs in it, I think set in a city might make a decent film but other than that it's going to tread old ground

i love the trailer. maybe because I've been waiting about 13 years for it but it looks sick. the d-rex is a hybrid between a raptor, t-rex, a snake and a cuttlefish, meaning it can change colour too. 

a few references made to the first film too, like bryce dallas howard with the flare at the end.

still very odd seeing chris pratt in a serious role but he appears to do a decent job.

Edited by adz.villa

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â