The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Just back from the imitation game

Might be a bit slow for everyone's taste but I thought it was great film , some nice humour in there without going over the top

Good performance by Cumberbatch , he may not stop Gyllenhall winning the Oscar but he should at least make one of two of the voters think twice before accepting their bribes

Shocking treatment of man who should be more widely known than he is , hopefully the film will address this... I wonder what else he could have achieved had he not died at 41 ... Would we now be further advanced in our inventions had he lived to be 80 i wonder ?

Keaton is favourite for best actor in birdman, not sure if that's out here yet, but that, Selma and foxcatcher are favourites for most things, the guy in theory of everything might get a nod too

I hate award season when they release films in the states months before here

Might be a bit slow for everyone's taste but I thought it was great film , some nice humour in there without going over the top

Good performance by Cumberbatch , he may not stop Gyllenhall winning the Oscar but he should at least make one of two of the voters think twice before accepting their bribes

Shocking treatment of man who should be more widely known than he is , hopefully the film will address this... I wonder what else he could have achieved had he not died at 41 ... Would we now be further advanced in our inventions had he lived to be 80 i wonder ?

I think Alan Turing is quite well known! Particularly for his prosecution for homosexuality (only 60 years ago, mental) and subsequent pardon.

I hear the film takes some wild liberties with the truth. Even having him down as a traitor at one point. Not sure his life needed to be over dramatised, it was dramatic enough. Disappointing.

I hate award season when they release films in the states months before here

I don't you can say obtain a film of good quality and watch it before anyone else online say *so I have been told

I do occasionally and only ever for 2 reasons -

They take the piss and release it in America months before here

They release it in about 4 cinemas in London rather than nationwide

Got a feeling foxcatcher might tick both of those boxes

Cool Hand Luke is great. The lates on a  slow moving "watch great paul newman movies" edict.  Have now seen Butch Cassidy, The Verdict, The Hustler, Hud  and CHL. Oh and Slapshot which is great fun too. 

Edited by Rodders
  • Like 1

I think Alan Turing is quite well known! Particularly for his prosecution for homosexuality (only 60 years ago, mental) and subsequent pardon.

I hear the film takes some wild liberties with the truth. Even having him down as a traitor at one point. Not sure his life needed to be over dramatised, it was dramatic enough. Disappointing.

Probably best you watch the film first before commenting tbh

But as you seem intent on picking a fight and No doubt you and your colleagues discuss him over tea breaks but I'll stand by my original statement that "he should be more widely known than he is " if that's ok with you

i knew of him but didnt know too much about him and most of that came from a couple of years back when they pardoned him, I've wanted to go to bletchley for years, i'd guess that most kids are taught about the enigma machine and his name might be dropped in but i certainly wasnt taught anything about him during A level history, my missus who also has an A level is history had never heard of him

i dont know about the historical inaccuracy of the film, most of the criticism ive seen for it have been based on keira knightley's character and her being built up far more than needed, thats hollywood for you

unfortunately i think unless it does well at award season then a lot of people will miss a very good film 

Shutter Island - bit meh. One of Scorsese's weakest films of recent times. Its not bad as such, its just not much more than decent. 6/10

Dom Hemingway - Jude Law acting like Ray Winstone. 5/10

Shutter Island - bit meh. One of Scorsese's weakest films of recent times. Its not bad as such, its just not much more than decent. 6/10

Dom Hemingway - Jude Law acting like Ray Winstone. 5/10

Agree with you on both counts there Xela - I enjoyed Shutter Island but had read the book prior to watching the film so I expected it to be a bit of a let down.

As for Dom Hemingway, I wouldn't even trust Jude Law joining Winstone handing out betting advice during ad breaks after that performance. However, Richard E Grant played his part very well.

Watched Out Of The Furnace last night, for such a great cast (Bale, Casey Affleck, Saldana, Forest Whittaker, Harrelson and Defoe) it just didn't go anywhere - the film 'smoldered' but never really ignited. It was alright but nothing more.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â