The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

~My thoughts about Blue Ruin~

by hogso

blue-ruin01.jpg

'sfilm about this hobo (who looks like Daniel Bryan) who drives his dirty old car to kill a bloke. Thing is, to start off with you don't know why he's doing it and he barely says anything at all, oooo mysterious like. It's really nicely shot in the early going but seems to lose a lot of it's early style as the film progresses. I suppose this is to mirror the fact that early on we are with the main character, and him alone, driving around to do this thing, and we don't really know why. I'm going to put this in spoilers, as if you havent seen it and plan to you might not want to read it, re: the ~20 minute mark

He kills the bloke he's after within the first 20 minutes of the film. So a film that sets itself up as a straight up revenge flick gets that out of the way very quickly. And that's when the fun really starts

Had a Straw Dogs feel to it, so if you were a fan of that you'd more than likely enjoy this. An ordinary man driven to extreme lengths, rightly or wrongly. The main character offers his own thoughts on that during the film, as do other supporting characters, but for the viewer I don't think the film was ever really about whether what he was doing is right or wrong, it's more - here are the consequences of a man's actions, and the effect it has on many peoples lives, although a lot of that isn't really fleshed out until the very end. It's darkly comic in parts, and tries to throw a few curve balls in there which aren't all together necessary.

Honestly I think I wouldve enjoyed it more without so much narrative being thrown in in the last 2/3rds of the film, maybe I didn't want to know what had happened to cause this guy to do what he did, and how he ended up in the state he's in when the film starts. Comparisons might also be drawn to more recent films like Animal Kingdom - I don't think it's as good as that, but it's worth a look. Maybe like a 7.5/10

Yeah Innkeepers was a massive let down.

Watched Mama yesterday. A dud. Characters were all very lame and extremely annoying apart from the eldest girl who was great. Story could have been a lot better and a lot more tense/frightening and the ending made no sense at all. Just a really bad almost amateurish film that I had high hopes about due to Del Toro's past horror credits.

3/10.

Yeah the ladle scene will stay with me for life.

just saw that scene on youtube .... i'm kinda wondering how the heck it got there to start with  .. but not sure I really want to know :)

Yeah the ladle scene will stay with me for life.

just saw that scene on youtube .... i'm kinda wondering how the heck it got there to start with  .. but not sure I really want to know :)

Tough, you're going to know.  He needs to place it there to gain an erection.

• Like 2

The Snow Walker  (2003) Watched this film last night and thought it was really good. It had a good story line and i don;t mind admitting it brought tears to my eyes at times. Certainly worth watching 

Gozu_Poster.jpg

Among one of Miike's most surreal and demented pieces of work. If you're a fan of his, you'll know that's quite the achievement.

Visitor Q is still on another level though  :D

Star Wars News.

Actors John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson, and Max von Sydow will join the original stars of the saga, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew, and Kenny Baker in the new film.

Max von **** Sydow!

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner
  • Like 1

I'd burn down the cinema, and every cinema within a 20.4 mile radius, and hunt down J. J. Abrams, and slap him with a giant, slippery trout, if Jar Jar turns up.

What if it starts with a Sith Lord killing Jar Jar in horribly painful way.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â