The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Again, decent enough for a horror but meh as a film.

I see I share the same sort of views on horror films as a few people on this thread.

A really good horror film is a great thing (Let the Right One In is the first one that springs to mind).

But so SO many horror films are crap that my automatic response to them now is "that's probably rubbish".

Love a good horror film, but they're a very rare thing, imo

Modern horror is like those theme park rides in which you travel through some 'scary' tunnel and things pop out at you. It's cheap thrills, meant to make you jump, as if making a loud noise is 'scary' - it isn't.

Either that or just incredibly violent tosh.

Good horror creeps up at you. I've always felt the best horror films aren't immediately scary, but after you watch it, and think about it, you feel very uneasy.

• Like 4

Yep, psychological stuff. It's why I love The Ring so much, probably too much to be honest (and I mean the Hollywood one... seriously). It's one of the films that has played with my mind the most.

"Thrilling" horror is still good at times, but it's all down to atmosphere. Alien is infinitely more scary than most of those kind of films. It's all about the sound, the lighting and what you don't see. Rather than just a series of "BOO!" moments.

• Like 1

Happiness_DVD_cover.jpg

Where has this film been all my life? Absolutely magical. There's black comedy, and there's this which is more blackhole than merely black. A must see.

And for those that have seen both, is Life Through Wartime worth seeing as well?

sorry didn't see your post before i posted mine.

I have just stuck this on, I'd never even heard about it before I saw it mentioned on this thread, it seems to be my kind of film though

"No...I'd jerk off instead"

:lol:

Happiness_DVD_cover.jpg

Where has this film been all my life? Absolutely magical. There's black comedy, and there's this which is more blackhole than merely black. A must see.

And for those that have seen both, is Life Through Wartime worth seeing as well?

sorry didn't see your post before i posted mine.

I have just stuck this on, I'd never even heard about it before I saw it mentioned on this thread, it seems to be my kind of film though

"No...I'd jerk off instead"

:lol:

It should be in the Jimmy Saville thread  ;)

Just back from seeing 'The Wolf of Wall Street'. I really enjoyed it and thought the story was gripping. There were very slight pacing issues in the last hour for me, yet it was solid overall.

DiCaprio deserves an Oscar nod without a doubt as he carried the film on his back at times. Well worth seeing.

its been hammered in the states and im sure there was some booing and heckling at the premiere 

a bit too excessive apparently, not that it bothers me i cant wait to see it, but it sounds like it'll do a dark zero thirty, nominated for everything but snubbed completely

I love a good horror film and its hard to quantify what makes a good horror/thriller.

Recent ones for me are the orphanage, let the right one in, these are films that stick with you afterwards. Special mention for event horizon definitely one of my favourites, don't know why but its so damn creepy.

Just back from seeing 'The Wolf of Wall Street'. I really enjoyed it and thought the story was gripping. There were very slight pacing issues in the last hour for me, yet it was solid overall.

DiCaprio deserves an Oscar nod without a doubt as he carried the film on his back at times. Well worth seeing.

I read something the other day that said something along the lines of "wouldn't it be amazing if in 20 years time they made a film about how DiCaprio never won an oscar and the person playing him won an oscar for his role in the film"

I read something the other day that said something along the lines of "wouldn't it be amazing if in 20 years time they made a film about how DiCaprio never won an oscar and the person playing him won an oscar for his role in the film"

It's Hollywood he'll get a token Oscar at some point ... Arguably he should already have one for Gilbert Grape though

Modern horror is like those theme park rides in which you travel through some 'scary' tunnel and things pop out at you. It's cheap thrills, meant to make you jump, as if making a loud noise is 'scary' - it isn't.

Either that or just incredibly violent tosh.

Good horror creeps up at you. I've always felt the best horror films aren't immediately scary, but after you watch it, and think about it, you feel very uneasy.

Yep, psychological stuff. It's why I love The Ring so much, probably too much to be honest (and I mean the Hollywood one... seriously). It's one of the films that has played with my mind the most.

"Thrilling" horror is still good at times, but it's all down to atmosphere. Alien is infinitely more scary than most of those kind of films. It's all about the sound, the lighting and what you don't see. Rather than just a series of "BOO!" moments.

Yeah we've had this discussion before. Basically horrors have one job. Scare me. If you do that you're probably a good horror. Nothing else matters. Similar to comedies. Make me laugh. That's it. And they almost have their own 1-10 scale on that basis, separate from 'normal' films. Granted, there's a crossover in that some horrors and comedies are good 'films' in the general sense, but that's not a pre-requisite for me. The aforementioned separate scale is probably also a reason why they never feature for awards. Because they tend not to be rounded and ambitious in their goals like some of the pretentious shite that features at the oscars.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â