The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I know, I actually kind of agree with you, loved both films but thought Departed was the better of the two and a classic. It's just that every now and then I hear or read about someone complaining about The Departed because it was a remake, which pisses me off because it's such a great film.

the departed is a great film its easily the best remake of an Asian film ive ever seen, but for me its not better than infernal affairs, think i prefer lau and leung

They are both great films but I do prefer the Scorsese version. 

Watched Desolation of Smaug yesterday at the red carpet cinema in Barton, cracking cinema btw, shame about the service. Really enjoyed it and so far enjoying this series more than LOTR.

Kingpin (1996) Did not enjoy this at all to be honest

Get out of here

It's got Bill Murray how can it not be great !!!

And that Vanessa watserface with the nice legs!

Watched Desolation of Smaug yesterday at the red carpet cinema in Barton, cracking cinema btw, shame about the service. Really enjoyed it and so far enjoying this series more than LOTR.

Really?

I likes it enough. Saw it in IMAX 3D on Boxing Day. It's better than the first film but it's still a little baggy. The set pieces are absolutely fantastic but some of the set up for those often fizzles on way too long, it feels less like an adventure in those moments and more like a coma. LOTR did a much better job of holding the tension right the way through.

It is worth seeing absolutely. As a film it's a solid 7/10 and certainly fit for big screen viewing. I'd try and avoid 3D though, Jackson likes his camera to move, quickly, and it becomes a bit of a chore on the eyes.

The Hobbit is good fun but nothing compared to LOTR. I re-watched LOTR (as per tradition) recently and I was working out why The Hobbit suffers, and really it comes to craft and characters. LOTR is a lot more crafted, the orcs are all real blokes in make up, in The Hobbit they are all CGI. In LOTR, locations are built and laboured over, in The Hobbit they are all CGI. Character wise, there is no character development in The Hobbit, and there are no central relationships to keep you interested. You need to be emotionally invested in characters for a film to have any lasting impact. I couldn't give a shit about anyone but Bilbo in The Hobbit, and he's all alone and hardly in the film, too readily sidelined for Aragorn-lite or some irritating sub-plot. In LOTR you have Frodo & Sam, Merry & Pippin, Aragorn & Arwen to invest in, and even secondary characters like King Theoden are well written and interesting.

The Hobbit just isn't as well made, well written or, well, as interesting as LOTR.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner
  • Like 4

The Hobbit is good fun but nothing compared to LOTR. I re-watched LOTR (as per tradition) recently and I was working out why The Hobbit suffers, and really it comes to craft and characters. LOTR is a lot more crafted, the orcs are all real blokes in make up, in The Hobbit they are all CGI. In LOTR, locations are built and laboured over, in The Hobbit they are all CGI. Character wise, there is no character development in The Hobbit, and there are no central relationships to keep you interested. You need to be emotionally invested in characters for a film to have any lasting impact. I couldn't give a shit about anyone but Bilbo in The Hobbit, and he's all alone and hardly in the film, too readily sidelined for Aragorn-lite or some irritating sub-plot. In LOTR you have Frodo & Sam, Merry & Pippin, Aragorn & Arwen to invest in, and even secondary characters like King Theoden are well written and interesting.

The Hobbit just isn't as well made, well written or, well, as interesting as LOTR.

Pretty much agree with that.

I've really enjoyed the Hobbit (and am quite happy with how things have been adapted from the book so far), but it's not as good as LOTR.

Perhaps the only area where it could compare would be in the set pieces.

But, barring Bilbo, there's not much depth to the characters so you don't get as attached.

Another area where it suffers is that the stakes aren't as high as LOTR, and the threat to the characters/world doesn't seem as great.

I will say that, while they do do a lot of green-screen work for environments, if you've seen the video blogs, you can see that the physical sets they have built are brilliant and just as detailed as the first series.

I've only seen the first of the Hobbit trilogy.

The 2nd and 3rd films are going to have to be utterly spectacular to beat LOTR, because An Unexpected Journey was pretty average

Has anybody seen the  film "cold fish". The japanese have a way of doing horror and gore...

Yep, I've mentioned it quite a few times in this very thread.

It's the second part of Sion Sono's 'Hate' trilogy and is absolutely sublime imo.

47 Ronin.

Liked it a lot. The missus blubbed.

Do not watch if you like happy endings

So I'll know we're not getting a happy ending then. Gotcha. #spoiler ;)

12 Years a Slave is excellent. Best film I've seen for a long time.

I'm looking forward to this. It does look very good. There's a few coming out soon actually. I might make January a cinema month :)

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â