The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

watched pacific rim ..............what a load of shite ....honestly how was that sold to Hollywood

It was fantastic and has been a massive global success.

I didn't think it had been that successful? it didn't review very well and struggled in yank land which was largely blamed on a lack of a huge star in the lead role

It didn't do well domestically but was a massive success worldwide. They've already commissioned a sequel.

oh I can't wait :D

Hey we can't all have the same taste. Some people actually liked Inception.

I wouldn't be so sure about Pacific Rim getting a sequel, it wasn't that great of a success worldwide and it's comparative failure in the US (it's actually surprising it did as well as it did in the end, but it still didn't make as much as it really needed to domestically) will count heavily against a sequel. Del Toro has talked up a sequel but thats not a surprise, and Legendary giving the nod for a new script to be knocked up isn't saying much either.

Ultimately, it won't become the flop people thought it might become, it'll make money, but it won't be enough of a return for a studio to risk dropping similar money on a sequel imo, sadly.

Edit - Speaking of summer blockbusters, the Wolverine is due on blu-ray in a month or so and looks like it'll be coming with an extended cut. The film struck me as a movie that had a lot left on the cutting room floor but it seems only 10 or so minutes has been deemed worthy of going back in. There was originally talk of it being as much as 40 minutes, which would be mad, but there we are. The extended edition, in a particularly dirty bit of marketing, is only on the 3d release, however.

Also, Gravity is currently destroying the US box office. Might be worth a trip to the Imax when it's out over here. 

In my own movie watching news, I watched the Crow for the first time in years the other night. It's still a quirky movie, but stands up well as a very 90s bit of modest budget gothic action. Cracking soundtrack, striking design, simple fun. Theres supposedly a remake coming but I don't think you could make a film that delivers like the original today, a lot of the charm is that grunge, gothic metal vibe from the time period it came from, and the darkness inherent from the knowledge you're watching a bloke who was shot and killed on set. I thoroughly recommend a rewatch if you've not seen it recently, it'll make you want to listen to the Cure all week.

Edited by Chindie

it'll make you want to listen to the Cure all week

There is literally nothing that could do that.   :puke:

Suffice to say, it's not really for you Mike.

What film is that "Starter for 10" it did me but I'm a big fan of the Cure.

I can't watch 90's films because they are so dated, and not in the charming way an 80s film is. Even films from the early 00's look so out of date with their big computer screens, chunky mobiles and slow internet connections.

Yes but a good film is a good film

Saw Runner Runner and The Fifth Estate today. The former wasn't something i expected to enjoy and I didn't really. it never got going at all. Some people have been pretty down on The Fifth Estate but I really enjoyed it. Cumberbatch and Bruhl great as always.

hidden gems from the last few years -

tucker and dale vs evil

untouchable

milk

margin call

mesrine

the secret in their eyes

Coriolanus

mud

tyrannosaur

a prophet

four lions

moon

an education

13 assasins

the company men

cloud atlas

wild bill

the guard

the messenger

compliance

the imposter

submarine

the skin I live in

take shelter

win win

animal kingdom

proper mix in there, few foreign films, a few documentaries, some probably aren't hidden gems and are probably well known but for whatever reason hardly anyone seems to have seen them (four lions and milk for example)

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

MV5BMTczMTU4NDUyMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTM5

just finished this, and will also recommend it - some great films in that list of villa4europe's too!

Rust and Bone - was very beautifully shot, though I could have done with some more of Cotilliard's character in the final act. But both her and the main chap are superb. 

I watched Road to Perdition

I thought Tom Hanks was good but Jude Law WTF? i think Tbag from prison break could have played the role better

I dont think 'T bag from prison break' would have looked so good on the poster!

I haven't enjoyed a movie released in the past three years or so...

Anyone got any recommendations of hidden gems I'm so obviously missing?

:huh:

It's worth reading through this thread as there's been some cracking movies recommended since it started (when you have a spare hour or so obviously)

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â