The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Man of Steel was different than I expected. A bit of a CGI feat at times, but it looked good as Snyder films do. Nothing special, but I enjoyed it. Wouldn't be surprised if the critics don't like it. But who gives a shit if it's fun to watch.

I keep thinking yours is a Death in June avatar, but I don't think it is. Is it?

Nah, it's the lead villain from the upcoming Thor movie.

Malekith the Accursed, for the unintiated ;)

I saw 'Man Of Steel' earlier today in the IMAX and thought it was very enjoyable. Sure, bits of it are a bit messy and it's all a little too serious at times, yet it's still very entertaining.

The effects were great at times and some of the flying scenes were done so well. It's Snyder's best film in my opinion.

Very good to hear.

Just got back from Man of Steel. Could have been better but I enjoyed it. Too much CGI at times in the last 30-40 minutes which could easily have had 10-15 minutes trimmed off. I really enjoyed the early part of the film - would even have preferred more time on Krypton to be honest, and the narrative got annoyingly messy a bit in the middle, but overall it's good enough I think. Shannon Crowe and Cavill were all excellent. 

Laurence Fisbourne has got fat. 

• Like 1

I saw 'Man Of Steel' earlier today in the IMAX and thought it was very enjoyable. Sure, bits of it are a bit messy and it's all a little too serious at times, yet it's still very entertaining.

The effects were great at times and some of the flying scenes were done so well. It's Snyder's best film in my opinion.

Agree with this apart from Dawn of the Dead is his best film.

Man of Steel was different than I expected. A bit of a CGI feat at times, but it looked good as Snyder films do. Nothing special, but I enjoyed it. Wouldn't be surprised if the critics don't like it. But who gives a shit if it's fun to watch.

I keep thinking yours is a Death in June avatar, but I don't think it is. Is it?
Nah, it's the lead villain from the upcoming Thor movie.

Malekith the Accursed, for the unintiated ;)

Ah right, not Douglas P, then

Death+in+June+DeathinJuneDij03.jpg

Just got back from Man of Steel. Could have been better but I enjoyed it. Too much CGI at times in the last 30-40 minutes which could easily have had 10-15 minutes trimmed off. I really enjoyed the early part of the film - would even have preferred more time on Krypton to be honest, and the narrative got annoyingly messy a bit in the middle, but overall it's good enough I think. Shannon Crowe and Cavill were all excellent. 

Laurence Fisbourne has got fat. 

Agree with all of this. Everyone I know who's seen it says too much time was spent on Krypton but I really enjoyed that part of the film and I'm with you in that they could've even spent more time there.

The Illusionist. Charming animation by the same bloke that did Belleville Rendezvous (aka Les Triplettes), and based on a previously unfilmed Jacques Tati script. 

Really excellent, especially if you're at all familiar with Edinburgh. 

• Like 2

Been thinking about this this morning after reading Spielberg & Lucas predict the massive decline in the Movie industry.

If it follows the changes in the music industry, it may not be a bad thing.

New pro film spec equipment is simultaneously expanding in capabilities and crashing in price.

Manufacture and distribution of expensive film isn't an issue with digital projectors.

Add to that the university and colleges pumping out wave after wave of talented 'free for a year' labour.

Music's a couple of years ahead of film.

Though it's sad that most of the big traditional labels and studios are gone, music scenes across the board have blossomed.

Talent, once constrained to bedrooms or pubs, can be recorded and mixed to a high standard and then got out there affordably.

As a muso, we've really got it lucky I think.

Hopefully film will go the same way.

It needs too because...

going to the flicks is becoming too damn expensive and we only seem to be watching squeals or reboots of the same damn films 

anyone who loves cinema and has one local should join cineworld, £16 unlimited films, you need to see 2 a month to make it pay, i watch 3/4 in the slower months then 5/6 in the summer, i dont mind going by myself either which helps

i saw the senior speilbergo thing, dustin hoffman did an interview on the same thing when Luck came out, went in to more detail and was very good, high production tv is taking over

anyone who loves cinema and has one local should join cineworld, £16 unlimited films, you need to see 2 a month to make it pay, i watch 3/4 in the slower months then 5/6 in the summer, i dont mind going by myself either which helps

i saw the senior speilbergo thing, dustin hoffman did an interview on the same thing when Luck came out, went in to more detail and was very good, high production tv is taking over

I went to see Man of Steel at the Cineworld in Burton and my brothers girlfriend had one of them, me and my brother are definitely considering it. When we have a day off work together, can make a day of it and see 2/3 films in a day and then anything we do for the rest of the month is basically free!

yeah we do that too, they sent my gf an email last year showing how much she'd saved by having a card, was around £165, once you've had one for a year you get 25% off food and 3D included

I also find myself going to see a lot of films that I wouldn't normally consider too, some of them are absolute gems (Dredd in 3D) others are gash (Olympus has fallen)

Edited by villa4europe

Watching Stoker for a second time now. Anyone seen it? Best film i've seen since Black Swan.

Very good film. I saw it when it was out at the cinema and came out just blown away.

On the Cineworld ticket front, it's a shame they don't do that in the Odeon. I go to the cinema at least four times a month and could really do with something like that Cineworld pass. It keeps getting more expensive as time goes by.

Speaking of trips to the cinema, I went to see 'Much Ado About Nothing' today. I really enjoued it and would say it's probably the best Shakespeare has ever been done on a big screen. The whole thing was simple in the way it was put together, yet it was also very effective.Iwould certainly recommend it if you're a fan of Shakespeare, or if you would like a good rom-com (with Shakespeare dailogue).

On the Cineworld ticket front, it's a shame they don't do that in the Odeon. I go to the cinema at least four times a month and could really do with something like that Cineworld pass. It keeps getting more expensive as time goes by.

Where do you live? There's a few Cineworlds about.

Watching Stoker for a second time now. Anyone seen it? Best film i've seen since Black Swan.

Got recommended it today actually by a friend. I'll watch it this week.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â