The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Headhunters is a great wee film.

Are Nesbo's books worth picking up?

Had that blu-ray on the shelf for ages. I'd od'd recently on subtitled films but think its about time I got around to this one.

Karen Gillan (the redhead that used to be in Dr Who. The one with the legs) has been added to the cast of Guardians of the Galaxy, along with John C Reilly and Glenn Close. The character that Reilly is rumoured to be playing also suggests that they might either be trying to put Nova into this film (which would make sense, he's been associated with the Guardians quite a bit in recent years, and he's also become a bizarrely popular character with kids from a few of the Marvel cartoons... but would also mean this would end up being a film with 6 major protagonists in it that we've not yet been introduced to, which sounds like a recipe for a mess) or they're looking to seed Nova in the Marvel Cinematic Universe for a coming movie with a nod to his origin. Saying that, I'd also stake a bit of money on Reilly possibly being brought in as a voice actor, despite the rumours. He makes sense for Rocket Raccoon.

More generally, the cast on the film is getting absurd, and they've not even cast a couple of the main characters yet. Looking like it's going to be a proper ensemble piece. Still on a knife edge if it's going to be good or shite, imo. Butr it's certainly going to be one of the weirdest films of next year, certainly for a blockbuster.

In a word yes!

He's most famous for the Harry Hole series but start with the first one (Redbreast) as there's a lot of themes that continue throughout the series.

Headhunters is a tremenous book too (film pretty much spot on as well!)

Saw End of Watch last night - much much better than I expected.

I'm not a big fan of 'handheld camera' style filming but it really suited the film and both the main leads performed effortlessly which added to the 'realism' the film was aiming for.

definately worth a watch.

Been watching Zulu on Blu-ray. What a brilliant film!

large-zulu-blu-ray1x1.jpeg

It's quite a breathtaking print too. Well worth getting.

I find that older films are best on Blu-ray, modern films are in decent enough quality as they are but something like Zulu or Planet of the Apes looks amazing.

Saw Jackpot another of Nesbo stories and wasnt that great. seemed to think it was cleverer than it was

Anyone else looking forward to the new Superman movie? I may even venture to the cinema to watch it! Last trip there was to see The Dark Knight Rises.

• Like 1

Took the kids to see The Croods yesterday

its almost up there with Wall-e and Up as being the best cartoon ever made

Good humour and really enjoyable

Watched Maniac yesterday courtesy of Designers advice, quite enjoyed it. It was certainly different and that first person perspective when he's hunting his prey.

Got any more like that mate, I do love my horrors but its quite a sparse genre.

Anyone else looking forward to the new Superman movie? I may even venture to the cinema to watch it! Last trip there was to see The Dark Knight Rises.

Definitely! The most recent trailer is great. This already looks like it'll erase the bad memories of Superman Returns from my mind.

Del Toro has joined the Guardians of the Galaxy cast, in an as yet unnamed role but is one they expect to recur given that they've given him a multi film deal.

I would say Nova... but he's too old for that, surely. Or I'm over thinking it and they've cast him as Thanos, in which case they best get the mocap suit out.

Guardians continues to be intriguing, and it's cast needs to just keep swelling until all of Hollywood is in it.

Edited by Chindie

Definitely! The most recent trailer is great. This already looks like it'll erase the bad memories of Superman Returns from my mind.

I'm strangely looking forward to it.

I don't like Superman, and I'm not convinced that Snyder is that good of a director (I say that as someone who genuinely likes Watchmen, and quite enjoyed 300. He's just not very good), but it does look good.

That may be the problem though - Snyder, for all his flaws, knows how to make things look great. All of his movies are eye catching, and distinct, and they've all tended to have very good trailers because of that. I have my worries about how much he can extend his eye for a movie to his brain, because he wants a little bit for everything else. Even Watchmen you got the feeling he'd taken the frames from the comic and shoved them on screen, brilliantly, but hadn't understood it.

All that said, I'll be seeing and tentatively hoping I walk out having liked a Superman movie. Which will basically require making him interesting. Because he isn't. The most interesting thing about Supes is how he shaves.

Just watched the trailer for World War Z.

It looks TERRIBLE.

the book is terrific because of the way it's written, it's not a story per se but a journal detailing events following a zombie outbreak.

Sounds like the film studio, bought the rights to the book, signed up Brad Pitt and threw the book away, keeping only the title.

It'll be awful and another book fallen foul to film execs! :(

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â