The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Iron Man 3 is now the 5th most successful film of all time.

Meanwhile elsewhere in Marvels stable, the composer for Thor 2 has left the project and allegedly the director won't be far behind... which would make him the second or third director to quit the thing.

I heard Alan Smithee is going to direct it.

It seems destined to be an Alan Smithee joint, tbh

A sentence would do. Like...

Vanilla Sky - Not sure if its genius or utter shite, but it's certainly interesting.

The original, Abre los Ojos, is amazing. Vanilla Sky however is an abortion that totally **** up the original concept.

What did you think Mike?

I personally thought it was very good but fell short of Haneke's best work (Piano Teacher / Cache / White Ribbon)

Although I did think the lead performances were stunning.

Exactly that, Si. The great acting carried it.

Bit of a debt to Tarkovsky at times, I thought - the long, silent static shots, the paintings, etc.

Can't say I enjoyed it it, exactly (That stage of life feels too much like it's coming up at me fast!), but it had a certain something.

• Like 1

MV5BMTUwODAxMzMwNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTk3

I suspect I enjoyed it rather more than I should of. It was an alright concept I guess, not executed all that well. But, I still quite liked it. I like horror, but I was too young/not alive at the time other anthology movies like Creepshow and Tales from the Crypt were around, and haven't gone back and watched them. So the idea of short horror stories being stuck together in some obtuse way does kind of appeal, and isn't something I'd seen before. Ofc it depends on the quality of the short stories. In this case there were a couple of bad ones, a couple of good ones, and an OK one. I get on fine with hand hald camera work, and the 'found footage' thing isn't a problem for me either, so neither of those things detracted from it overall.

As far as I can tell from the threads on IMDB, the majority of complaints appear to be that it was too ambiguous, which is completely bizarre. When have horror fans ever wanted/needed to have everything explained to them? Is that an American thing? Very odd. There is a sequel out soon, and from the descriptions of the shorts (one of which is directed by the guy who directed The Raid), it sounds far superior (kids having a sleep over experience alien invasion/abduction AWESOME, TV camera crew interviews crazed cult leader who literally raises hell COOL), and I would watch it for sure.

Good excuse to seek out the old classic horror anthologies too.

Check out the Amicus Anthologies. They may look a little 'creaky' by today's standards but the storytelling on the whole is great and they are far superior to Creepshow etc.

Thanks D1, I'll lovefilm those.

Enjoyed vhs for what it was but it was very so so. Sequel sounds a lot better I agree.

They appear to have done away with the silly forced in plot to tie it all together, with the nawty boys who break in to the house, and then the dead guy isn't dead and kills them or something. It was just like, yeah, not arsed about that, just show me some more different tapes plz.

Grumpy Cat has landed a movie.

Yes that's right, an internet meme now has a hollywood movie deal.

What has this world come to?

Grumpy-Cat-008.jpg

Edited by Ghost

Anyone else go and see the Made Of Stone film tonight? Was brilliant.

i couldnt cos of playing football, whats the deal with it, there was only 1 showing at cineworld in Brum, is it not going on general release?

It was pretty good how they did it. Had a kinda build up to it from half 7 til 8 then showed the film and after there was a Q&A with Shane Meadows and the producer (forgot his name). 

I think it will be on general release at some point, DVD isn't out til October though.

Upstream-Color-2013-Movie-Poster-2-300x4

This is by the writer/director/actor who made Primer. It's a fascinating film. If you like confusing abstract shit that looks glorious, give it a watch and explain the plot to me please.

Owes much (if not all) to Argento. As a horror fan, it's definitely one of the best in the slasher genre for a while as it takes a unique approach and adopts almost an art house feel.. The use of first person is genuinely unsettling and little Frodo makes a wonderfully deranged psychopath. 

As good as the original? Hmmm, similar storyline but a different animal really. Definitely recommended to those who like a little depth with their gore.

Maniac-2012-Movie-Poster.jpg

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â