The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Iron Man 3 is now the 5th most successful film of all time.

Meanwhile elsewhere in Marvels stable, the composer for Thor 2 has left the project and allegedly the director won't be far behind... which would make him the second or third director to quit the thing.

I watched 'Beware of Mr. Baker'. The documentary about Ginger Baker, the former Cream and Blind Faith drummer.

I really liked it, found it fascinating.

Raises the question do you need to like somebody or more specifically think they're a nice person, in order to think they were good at or respect what they did?

Here he is...promoting...the film

Edited by 8pints

Meanwhile elsewhere in Marvels stable, the composer for Thor 2 has left the project and allegedly the director won't be far behind... which would make him the second or third director to quit the thing.

I heard Alan Smithee is going to direct it.

Raises the question do you need to like somebody or more specifically think they're a nice person, in order to think they were good at or respect what they did?

Heh heh - On John Bonham - "Bonham had technique but he couldn't swing a sack of shit!"

• Like 2

I don't care how much people like it, that's ridiculous.

not really, you could argue that its the 1st film to really go for the chinese market (extra scenes exclusively for them, the marketing campaign, the chinese product placement) didnt it also go 4D in japan?

plus then inflation etc and the growing popularity of the marvel universe

the only surprising thing about it is that IM recovered so well after number 2 was so bad, would have been interesting if the avengers hadnt happened, wouldnt have been anywhere enar as big

4D???

Yup, another gimmick.

Wiki:

4D film or 4-D film is a marketing term for an entertainment presentation system combining a 3D film with physical effects that occur in the theatre in synchronization with the film. (Note that 4D films are not actually four-dimensional in the geometric sense of the word.) Because physical effects can be expensive to install, 4D films are most often presented in custom-built theatres at special venues such as theme parks and amusement parks. However, some movie theatres have the ability to present 4D versions of wide-release 3D films. The films Journey to the Center of the Earth (2008), and Avatar (2009) are among the films that have received a 4D treatment in certain theatres.[1]

Effects simulated in a 4D film may include rain, wind, strobe lights, and vibration. Seats in 4D venues may vibrate or move a few inches during the presentation. Other common chair effects include air jets, water sprays, and leg and back ticklers. Hall effects may include smoke, rain, lightning, air bubbles, and special smells (for example, fireworks smells at the London Eye's Experience, and gassy smells when a stinkbug sprays it in It's Tough to Be a Bug).

4D???

Yup, another gimmick.

Wiki:

4D film or 4-D film is a marketing term for an entertainment presentation system combining a 3D film with physical effects that occur in the theatre in synchronization with the film. (Note that 4D films are not actually four-dimensional in the geometric sense of the word.) Because physical effects can be expensive to install, 4D films are most often presented in custom-built theatres at special venues such as theme parks and amusement parks. However, some movie theatres have the ability to present 4D versions of wide-release 3D films. The films Journey to the Center of the Earth (2008), and Avatar (2009) are among the films that have received a 4D treatment in certain theatres.[1]

Effects simulated in a 4D film may include rain, wind, strobe lights, and vibration. Seats in 4D venues may vibrate or move a few inches during the presentation. Other common chair effects include air jets, water sprays, and leg and back ticklers. Hall effects may include smoke, rain, lightning, air bubbles, and special smells (for example, fireworks smells at the London Eye's Experience, and gassy smells when a stinkbug sprays it in It's Tough to Be a Bug).

I farted when Shrek was climbing the brimstone mountain. That was a kind of 4D.
  • Like 1

There's been a  Shrek 4D at Universal studios for years.

It's actually brilliant, to be fair. But only as a theme park attraction. I wouldn't be interested in seeing an actual film in "4D"

It's actually brilliant, to be fair. But only as a theme park attraction. I wouldn't be interested in seeing an actual film in "4D"

It wasn't that good, besides, getting sprayed with water is fine when you're in Florida.

I hate these damn gimmicks. Just let me watch on a big, clear 2D screen for Christ's sake. I see in 3D all the time, I shouldn't have to wear glasses or get migraines just so James Cameron can pretend to have stupid colourful shit trying to poke me in the face. Piss off.

It's not that great, although my other half nearly had a heart attack when someone dropped some spiders on screen and then they blow air around your ankles like their scurrying about down there. She shot up out of the seat. 

What did you think Mike?

I personally thought it was very good but fell short of Haneke's best work (Piano Teacher / Cache / White Ribbon)

Although I did think the lead performances were stunning.

Edited by Designer1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â