The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Watched Argo earlier.

Award worthy? Nah. It was alright. 

Bryan Cranston stole the show for me. I can't get enough of him.

I'd go along with that. Watched it last night and thought it was a perfectly decent movie, enjoyed it, good level of suspense, very brave opening 10 minutes for a largely US audience.

But I'm not really into the film awards thing so I don't know what it was up against.

I thought hangover 3 was alright - by no means the turkey its been slated as. 

The first was one of the most dismal films I've ever had the misfortune to see.  I didn't raise as much as a smirk at any point in the film.

watched "The Road" last night.

Fell asleep 4 times and when it finished I was suicidal, so dismal

Tis a very sad film.

Even Omar Little is depressed in it.

It's mad to think 'Malcolm in the Middle' introduced me to him. Talk about hiding your light under a bushel :) He is superb. I also copped a tiny cameo from him as a doctor on The Cleveland Show the other night. A teeny tiny bit part but it was unmistakably him.

Watched Argo earlier.

Award worthy? Nah. It was alright. 

I'd go along with that. Watched it last night and thought it was a perfectly decent movie, enjoyed it, good level of suspense, very brave opening 10 minutes for a largely US audience.

But I'm not really into the film awards thing so I don't know what it was up against.

It was mainly up against Life of Pi, Les Mis and Django Unchained. I thought Argo was great, but I think overall I preferred Life of Pi.

Films based on true events, especially wartime events are always going to net you the Oscar. Reminds me of the episode of Extras with Kate Winslet in it :D

Edited by Ginko

It's mad to think 'Malcolm in the Middle' introduced me to him. Talk about hiding your light under a bushel :) He is superb. I also copped a tiny cameo from him as a doctor on The Cleveland Show the other night. A teeny tiny bit part but it was unmistakably him.

Have you watched Malcom in the Middle recently? He's absolutely bloody superb. My boss, who just so happens to be the biggest film buff I've ever known, calls him the greatest actor that has ever lived. Big screen or small. Believe me that is some high praise.

I'm not a million miles from agreeing. He's not a character actor per se, he's not flashy enough for the Oscar crowd and there's nothing intrinsically "odd" about him at all. He just nails absolutely everything he touches with a nuance rarely seen in this age.

Love him.

• Like 1

Forget Breaking Bad, forget Argo, forget Malcolm in the Middle, forget Total Recall...

This is Bryan Cranston's best work :P

And apparently he almost turned it down before he read the script.

• Like 1

Have you watched Malcom in the Middle recently? He's absolutely bloody superb. My boss, who just so happens to be the biggest film buff I've ever known, calls him the greatest actor that has ever lived. Big screen or small. Believe me that is some high praise.

I'm not a million miles from agreeing. He's not a character actor per se, he's not flashy enough for the Oscar crowd and there's nothing intrinsically "odd" about him at all. He just nails absolutely everything he touches with a nuance rarely seen in this age.

Love him.

I agree.

I remember having a debate with my uni housemates back in 2005 as to whether Hal was the best character on TV. He's brilliant, and is certainly the best part of that show by miles.

Films based on true events, especially wartime events are always going to net you the Oscar. Reminds me of the episode of Extras with Kate Winslet in it :D

Edited by Stevo985

I can't express the severity of my man-crush for Bryan Cranston in words. The guy is not only a phenomenal actor, with a distinctive and awesome voice, but you just get the impression that he's thoroughly a **** lovely bloke.

He also has a killer sense of humour.

There is the potential for some very very minor spoilers in this following video by the way, so you might want to avoid it if you're not up to date on Breaking Bad.

The bits at 9:21 and 10:50 are my personal favourites :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXzp5tQXL-0

Edited by Ginko

Watched the Norwegian comedy/thriller Jackpot, penned by Jo Nesbo.

In a nutshell, 4 blokes (3 of whom are ex-cons) win the football pools but then turn on one another, ending up in utter carnage - some great dialogue, especially between the main character Oscar and the head Police Officer.

Very amusing if not predictable and not as thrilling as Headhunters but still overall and enjoyable 90 minutes.

Well I had the misfortune to watch The Place Beyond The Pines over the weekend and have to say it was the biggest pile of crap I have seen this year. Dull would have been an improvement. 

I enjoyed Ryan Gosling in Ides of March and Crazy Stupid Love but in Drive and this I find him totally lifeless and unemotional.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â