The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I think he's a fine actor.

I really can't decide and I know the films aren't helping his cause but even a fine actor should shine in a shit movie a la Depp. But Cage doesn't, which makes me think he has simply found his level and isn't all that good.

Seen and rewatched a lot of films in the last 3 months or so.

Taken 2 4/10 - Typical action movie. Preferred the first far more.

Dredd 8/10 - Really surprised with this one. Thought Urban was superb and it was superb with the whole Die Hard locked-tower-block going on. Olivia Thirlby though..

The Dark Knight Rises - 7/10. Being generous too. Too many plot holes and whatnot. Watch the Dark Knight compared to it, which is nigh on flawless. Pales in comparison. A lot.

The Secret in Their Eyes - 9/10 Superb. Highly recommended.

Jo Nesbo's Headhunters 8/10 - Bit of an odd film and like the above it's subtitled. But thoroughly enjoyable watch which I'd gladly watch again

Fight Club 8.5/10 - Is what it is. Excellent film

Unstoppable 7/10 - Love Denzel as always. Good watch too.

American Gangster 9/10 - Repeat the DW love from the last one, coupled with the fact it's an awesome fillum.

Pretty sure I've missed a few too. Ah well

Love Denzel as always

I like him as well , it's probably helped by the fact that whenever he is interviewed he comes across as a nice bloke and you can't help but like him

but 2 Oscars aside .. do you think he gets enough praise as a "great actor " ? indeed is he a great actor or does he just get some great roles ( if that makes sense)  ...

Actually no Tony, I think Denzel is a good example of an actor that can totally shine in a shite film. 'Unstoppable' for example is a completely unremarkable film but he is head and shoulders above everyone in it. I've never seen him put in a bad performance no matter what the film.

Actually no Tony, I think Denzel is a good example of an actor that can totally shine in a shite film. 'Unstoppable' for example is a completely unremarkable film but he is head and shoulders above everyone in it. I've never seen him put in a bad performance no matter what the film.

it's just you never seem to hear him mentioned in the same breathe as say a De Niro , James Stewart , Brando etc

that's why I wondered if it was the roles rather than the actor and he was perhaps under rated a little

I think he's a fine actor.

I really can't decide and I know the films aren't helping his cause but even a fine actor should shine in a shit movie a la Depp. But Cage doesn't, which makes me think he has simply found his level and isn't all that good.

Perhaps I should have said he's capable of fine acting.

I really like Denzel too. Very fine actor. I've seen one bad film with him, and it really wasn't because of him. Can't remember the name of the film, but it was some kind of police film where he's shagging a friends wife and then both the girl and her husband gets murdered in a fire where Denzel's character's been seen close to just before it broke out. But I mean, Glory, Training day, Remember the titans, Man on fire, The great debaters, American Gangster, etc, etc. Is Devil in a blue dress any good?

What's wrong with Clive Owen? :)

Clive OWen couldn't act his way out of a paper bag.

Unless the role description was "completely unemotional british man who says every word in precisely the same tone"

Then he'd be perfect.

He's slightly better at acting than Microsoft Narrator. But that's it.

Edited by Stevo985

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â