The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Watched Wrestler today. It was good, but I don't think it was as good as everyone else seems to think, IMO. But Rourke makes a good performance in it. And that woman too. Catching up with semi old films that I missed when they came. :)

Decent flick. I got the feeling Rourke was essentially just being Mickey Rourke. His real life personality is just about identical to his character in the film.

Yep, definitely.

Silent-House.jpg

If your a fan of the slow burning, atmospheric, "what you can't see is more scarier than what you can see" type horror movies then give this a watch.

Some will think the ending ruins it and some will focus on the plot holes but if you watch it as an experiment by the director (filmed in one continous take) and let the atmosphere and racked up tension suck you in then I think you will find it pretty darn good. Just like I did!

cloud atlas

strange strange film, i think what surprised me the most is how much of it i liked, id say apart from shockingly bad irish / scottish hanks moments and the future speak making the tribey stuff hard work its pretty good, broadbent as the publisher, neo seoul and the 70s halle berry was all really enjoyable, bloody long though

Silent-House.jpg

If your a fan of the slow burning, atmospheric, "what you can't see is more scarier than what you can see" type horror movies then give this a watch.

Some will think the ending ruins it and some will focus on the plot holes but if you watch it as an experiment by the director (filmed in one continous take) and let the atmosphere and racked up tension suck you in then I think you will find it pretty darn good. Just like I did!

I saw it a year ago or so and though I like this kind of films very much, this one was a disappointment. Very much so because of the ending. Very weak ending, IMO.

Watched The Bourne legacy earlier tonight. I liked it. Not as good as the Matt Damon-Bourne films, but decent enough. But one of my favourite actors, Edward Norton, was probably one of the weakest links in that film. He didn't convince me. But the rest was good enough.

Back on the comic book movie front (should this be spun off into it's own thread?) Latino Review is saying:

- Bale is in talks to reprise his role as Wayne/Batman in JLA

- Christopher Nolan will oversee JLA and the whole DC Universe for Warner Bros.

- Zack Snyder may direct/produce JLA

- Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy and Man of Steel would be set in the same universe

- JLA would also be set in this universe

Link

Edited by Ghost

Had the mispleasure of watching The Sweeney over the weekend - absolute garbage!!!!

The sight of Winstone's fat gut in full display whilst humping Hayley Atwell was not a sight to behold...

Edited by theboyangel

The batshit crazy premise had me curious too :)  And yer one is hot.  And Dominic West is completely typecast for me now after The Wire.  It was beyond stupid in places, even allowing for what it was, but it kept me mildly amused.  Not a classic.

I started watching Once Upon a Time in America yesterday.

Felt well up for it, had it recorded off of Film 4 from the other night.

After about half an hour I paused it to get a drink.

"Viewing Time Remaining: 249 minutes"

What the ****?!

I knew I didn't have that much time so didn't bother watchign the rest of it, will do it when I have more time. But **** me that's a long film!

Anybody seen Gangster Squad?

I'm a sucker for that whole post-war, LAPD, James Ellroy-type genre, but I just read the (non-fiction) book they based it on, and it sounds like they've really turned it into Hollywood hokum.

I don't mind that in itself, but when they use real people as the characters - Jack O'Mara, Jerry Wooters, Jack Dragna, Mickey Cohen, etc. - and then totally rewrite history, it pisses me off a bit.

If you're going to do fiction, use fictional characters, don't do pseudo-history.

I don't mind that in itself, but when they use real people as the characters - Jack O'Mara, Jerry Wooters, Jack Dragna, Mickey Cohen, etc. - and then totally rewrite history, it pisses me off a bit.

If you're going to do fiction, use fictional characters, don't do pseudo-history.

Completely agree. I'd go further and say it's quite a liberty to take real people and then have them doing made-up shit.

Completely agree. I'd go further and say it's quite a liberty to take real people and then have them doing made-up shit.

Exactly. The  odd bit of artistic license is OK, but I understand the climax of the film is the cops bursting in on Mickey Cohen's gang and blasting them with submachineguns. Never happened - in fact the truth is far more interesting, if less 'exciting'.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â