The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

The Dark Knight is probably the best BluRay I've seen.

I'd go along with that. Really good quality.

Other suggestions:

Drive

Pan's Labrynth

Wall-E

They're Blu Ray's I've got and they all look fab.

Also, it's not a film, but if you like documentaires, try the Planet Earth Blu Ray box set. Looks incredible.

Yes, it's a mess.

In Bruges and The Guard are far better.

I was really looking forward to 'Seven Psycopaths' and did enjoy it a lot. However, I agree that it wasn't as good as 'In Bruges'. I'm not sure why you've compared it to 'The Guard' as McDonagh only produced that, whereas he wrote and directed the other two. I would probably agree that 'The Guard' is also better though.

Anyway, 'Seven Psycopaths' was enjoyable throughout. It's funny and completely over the top, with a plot that twists and turns. My main issue was that you could see a lot of the twists coming well before they actually happened. Rockwell is really good in the film and you can see a good amount of promise from McDonagh (writer and director) once again.

I haven't been in this thread for a couple of weeks I don't think, so I've overlooked some other films. 'Argo' and 'Silver Linings Playbook' were the standouts. Both of them are solid films, although the latter does go a bit strange in the last 30 minutes or so. Both are worth seeing though. I went to see 'End Of Watch' too and thought it was a decent watch to be fair. Nothing special but it was an entertaining popcorn flick.

On the suggestion of Blu-Rays I would recommend the following:

The Incredibles (or any Pixar film for that matter as they all look great)

Drive

Blade Runner (considering the age of the film the transfer is fantastic)

Saving Private Ryan

Planet Earth

Inception

Hugo

Blu-Ray really is a fantastic format and the films listed above really show what it can do.

I genuinely like and enjoy it. I'm a fan of the graphic novel though. The extended version is great, even if watching it you can't escape the feeling Snyder hasn't got a clue about a single apect of the plot and has just copied what he saw on the page on the pictures.

I agree that that feeling of foreboding is missing but I think that is, in part due to the fact the film had to rattle along, there just wasn't the time to let that feeling grow. They try to do it with a few background references but it doesn't work. The other thing i think caused it refers back to the feeling Snyder hadn't got a **** clue how important it is to the atmosphere of the story.

This quote about the HFR in The Hobbit made me smile

it feels as if there has been a terrible mistake in the projection room and they are showing us the video location report from the DVD "making of" featurette, rather than the actual film

It appears it's gotten a bit of a "meh" reception so far.

The HFR was always going to bug people, as we've got used to 24fps and how a film 'should' look. 24fps is glitchy, a little grainy and was never the 'best' solution, but we stumbled on it and began to expect it. It is synonymous with a 'cinematic' look.

The HFR doesn't bother me, but I'm still unsold on 3D and making the Hobbit into a trilogy.

Still, I go see it.

In other news, I didn't realise Werner Herzog was in the Jack Reacher film. Herzog! I'll need to see this.

Yeh man, Elf is a properly good christmas movie, as so few recent-ish christmas movies have been. It gets a little overly American towards the end for me - the whole New York getting together and being happy thing - but it is great fun.

In other news, I didn't realise Werner Herzog was in the Jack Reacher film. Herzog! I'll need to see this.

Did he do the voice for another plastic bag?

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â