The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Just back from:

spacer.png

I've been looking forward to this one as I was a fan of the first movie (in particular it's nightmarish concept) and was hoping a sequel would retain the quality.

If anything, it surpasses the first film in nearly every way. Most of this is due to a well written, layered narrative which reels you in from the first enthralling scene, and a quite superb lead performance from Naomi Scott who is perfect for the darkly paranoid storyline.

Well recommended. 

• Like 1

lovetorninadream-1600x900-c-default.jpg

Love Torn in Dreams (Raúl Ruiz) - Great, very inventive narrative, lots of enchanting moments

csm_As_i_was_moving__39__de8ecb4888.jpg

As I Was Moving Ahead Occasionally I Saw Brief Glimpses of Beauty (Jonas Mekas) - Charming film, enjoyed it

16 minutes ago, useless said:

lovetorninadream-1600x900-c-default.jpg

Love Torn in Dreams (Raúl Ruiz) - Great, very inventive narrative, lots of enchanting moments

csm_As_i_was_moving__39__de8ecb4888.jpg

As I Was Moving Ahead Occasionally I Saw Brief Glimpses of Beauty (Jonas Mekas) - Charming film, enjoyed it

I think I asked before, but where do you see these? 

On 15/10/2024 at 19:05, sne said:

Really enjoyed Alien Romulus. Miles better than the Prometheus/Covenant nonsense while obviously not a patch on the first 2 movies.

Hide contents

The Ian Holm android thingy was a bit uncanny valley thou.

Just watched it. I really didn't enjoy it. Maybe it didn't help that I played Alien Isolation recently and it referenced that game in so many distracting ways. Everything original in Romulus is a superficial reference to Isolation, but it just has nothing else to offer whatsoever. 

Tbh, I think it's just pants – it establishes some characters fine enough at the beginning, but then once the monster stuff begins just spends the whole film doing nothing more than making these barely establised characters run away from it/them/who cares any more. It's a theme park ride that very very very superficially draws influence from a computer game. It's like a kids' on-the-rail monster attraction. 

I think the member-berries well and truly ran out of juice about ten years ago. 

Edited by Rolta

Alien Romulus. One of the better installments but still pretty bad. Highly overated and very disappointing but hey if you're a director people like I guess you get away with murder.

Somehow made the Aliens even less of a threat than before. Cheapened the face huggers to about as threatening as gerbils and some absolutely insane character decisions. "I'm just going to stick this mysterious black shit in me because this robot bloke said it might help me" 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Alien Romulus. One of the better installments but still pretty bad. Highly overated and very disappointing but hey if you're a director people like I guess you get away with murder.

Somehow made the Aliens even less of a threat than before. Cheapened the face huggers to about as threatening as gerbils and some absolutely insane character decisions. "I'm just going to stick this mysterious black shit in me because this robot bloke said it might help me" 

Watched it the other day on PPV, thought it wasa good movie but nothing special. Cailee Spaeny does look a very good actress though, she was good in this and Civil War. All the actors are fairly young and at times this came across as a bunch of brainless teens running around cluelessly before being inevitably picked off.

On 26/07/2024 at 11:17, Designer1 said:

This looks right up my street, it's the sophomore effort from the writer/director of the brilliant Caveat from a couple of years ago (Damian Mc Carthy).

Out in the UK in August (probably be a limited release but hopefully it'll get a showing near me).

spacer.png

Watched it last night, and it's a very good film indeed. One for those who enjoy the more atmospheric, slow burning horror rather than gore.

McCarthy has hit it out the park twice now and I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for his next project.

• Like 2

On 20/10/2024 at 13:47, Designer1 said:

spacer.png

Watched it last night, and it's a very good film indeed. One for those who enjoy the more atmospheric, slow burning horror rather than gore.

McCarthy has hit it out the park twice now and I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for his next project.

yes, watched it last night and it was a real rarity. I’m not much of a film person and I watched it through to the end.

fwiw, I thought it was very very good. As you say, more suspense and jump scare than gore. I wouldn’t have entertained it had it been all sawing off limbs and schizz.

• Like 1

Watched a film called "Threads" recently.

It's from the BBC back in 1984 & it's about the multiple characters living their lives during an imaginary conflict that escalates into a Nuclear detonation in Sheffield & then 13 years beyond.

It's got a weird documentary overview, but the characters are acted. It sort of works though.

The film itself is absolutely brutal. Very dark. Very negative message. But worth a watch.

Edited by Andy_10
  • Like 2

spacer.png

Really good drama based on the true life story of 'The Dating Game Killer' Rodney Alcala.

Starring and Directed by Anna Kendrick (her directorial debut) and well worth your time.

On Netflix now.

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â