The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

On 05/10/2024 at 12:40, Designer1 said:

I'm booked to see it in the morning. From what I've read I think I may enjoy it more than the people who just wanted the first film again. I like the idea of the tonal shift to an even darker story with the surreal, rough around the edges musical interludes.

We shall see I suppose.

Saw it earlier...

spacer.png

So yeah, I didn't hate it as much as a lot of people appear to, but it is a very different animal to the first one, and about as far away from the comic book Joker as you can get.

Parts of it work, the musical aspect didn't jar as much as I thought it might and visually it impressed me. Two main performances were good, with Gaga confidently nailing this low key version of Quinn and Phoenix bringing his usual gravitas.

The problems for me were that it just didn't keep my interest throughout due to the patchy, downbeat nature of the narrative coupled with an obviously layered but ultimately dull story. The biggest crime of all though  - keeping the two main characters apart for long stretches even though the scenes when they were together were the best part.

Swing and a big miss for me unfortunately. 

Edited by Designer1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â