The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice reviews out.

Supposedly it's fine. Not as good as the original but alright and probably better depending on how much you like classic Burton sensibility and style.

Could be worse then.

je-tu-il-elle-jpg.webp

Je Tu Il Elle (Chantal Akerman)
'Je' is a girl voluntarily lock up in a room. 'Tu' is the script. 'Il' is a lorry driver. 'Elle' is the girlfriend.'
Wasn't as keen on the middle part with the lorry driver, but overall I thought it was pretty good, third film I've seen by Akerman and they've all been good

Edited by useless

Started a really decent film on IPlayer called The Promised Land. It's Danish and rather bleak. I don't think any actor does bleak quite in the same way as Mads Mikkelson.

Edited by sheepyvillian

On 04/09/2024 at 18:36, Chindie said:

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice reviews out.

Supposedly it's fine. Not as good as the original but alright and probably better depending on how much you like classic Burton sensibility and style.

Could be worse then.

It's fine.

38 minutes ago, jimmygreaves said:

It's fine.

I watched the original this week ahead of seeing the new one tomorrow. It was less than fine and I’d remembered really enjoying it back then. 

Just watched Furiosa. 

Good, maybe very good, but not great.

Obviously the elephant in the room is that it's not Fury Road. Where Fury Road is a really good 2 issue filler story, this is a big omnibus of an arc, with all the good and bad that comes with both of those. Where Fury Road was a parade of action set pieces occasionally broken up with some really fantastic imagery, this does a lot more world building using Furiosa's origin as a device to hang the world building off. In some ways it feels like this was written using the colour and asides that got trimmed in the early days of writing for Fury Road, and you kinda feel that as you watch, and your mileage will pretty much come down to how much you want more Fury Road world with the action toned back a little. 

There's very little that's bad about it, soundtrack is a bit bleh with a bit too much calling back to the 2015 film, and it feels much more soundstage-y, with an aesthetic that exacerbates that and makes the CGI much more evident. Hemsworth is fun as a kind of scumbag prophet leader figure, and I suspect the script kinda liked his character more than it cared about Furiosa or anyone else, which makes the realisation that in the grand scheme of things he's quite irrelevant all the odder.

I enjoyed it. It's obvious Miller wanted to do something more pointedly big and epic is scope with his franchise, and he did it. Unfortunately he did after he took all the bits of character that mattered and put them in one of the best action films ever. That's a bar no one is beating.

• Like 1

Just back from Beetlejuice Beetlejuice and it was enjoyable but I very much enjoyed the original. Certainly has all the original tones about it and some real funny bits, so hats off to Burton here. It won’t beat the original of course but a fine way to spend a couple of hours.

• Like 1

On 04/09/2024 at 09:55, VILLAMARV said:

Assault on Precinct 13

They Live

The Thing

Escape from New York

Big Trouble in Little China

I like my Prince of Darkness's playful

Something that really surprised me was that John Carpenter rated Escape from LA as much better than Escape from New York.

https://www.tiktok.com/@double_toasted/video/7373821062292852010#:~:text=%40Double Toasted-,John Carpenter thinks that Escape from LA is ten times,wrong%2C and he went off.

11dcac7f0626252a4390e08463984c63dfd9cf8d

11 x 14 (James Benning) - Interesting idea for a film, strangely engrossing at times

18466e1bd9db2c01d7d9219d443b44da37351896

Kinds of Kindness (Yorgos Lanthimos) - Very entertaining, some great performances

tumblr_pvhdegWIGJ1qdqpe6o7_540.pnj

Mr. Arkadin (Orson Welles) - Enjoyed it, good story and cinematography

c02f99cf7e647bdc3e0fa0d97140f7d505423725

The Hitch-Hiker (Ida Lupino) - All time great thriller

• Like 2

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice

A decent legacy sequel, not great, would have been easy to be better.

First off, just to get it out of the way, Michael Keaton is absolutely great as The Juice, fantastic performance from him and you wouldn't think that he was 36 (I think) years older than in the original.

Wynona Ryder is really good as Lydia Deets, I'm not sure that I buy into her character going on to become a paranormal TV personality though, but she still felt like the original character just grown up.

Jenna Ortega, she fits right into the world, I really like her as an actor but I want to see something different from her next time, I think she needs to get away from the Tim Burton world before she is typecast as that character, but again, she is perfect for Tim Burton so I can see them working together again.

As for the actual film, I really appreciated that it doesn't rely on nostalgia baiting and Memberberries, it very much does its own thing (as much as it can anyway), the plot was ruined by there being far too much crammed into it, you could have shaved off at lest 20 minutes and removed two characters completely and expanded on the main thread (Jenna Ortega's story) basically, Monica Belucci and Willem Defoe's characters were pretty good but just absolutely pointless and don't go anywhere at all.

The effects were good for the most part and they tried to keep to practical or stop motion which is nice, The Netherworld though...I just couldn't get on with it, it looked fine but it looked too...I don't know...clean, like the colours seemed a lot more vibrant than in the original, I don't know, I heard someone describe it as too sanitized and I think I agree with that.

All in all, perfectly serviceable sequel that doesn't spoil the original in any way, not much more than that can be said or expected.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, AJG23 said:

Something that really surprised me was that John Carpenter rated Escape from LA as much better than Escape from New York.

https://www.tiktok.com/@double_toasted/video/7373821062292852010#:~:text=%40Double Toasted-,John Carpenter thinks that Escape from LA is ten times,wrong%2C and he went off.

Bizarre take

• Like 1

Last night watched prison film Starred Up. 

The film is brutal in places but if you're into your prison films / don't mind violence then you'd probably like this.

Realised after watching it for a bit that I'd see it before about 8-9 years ago.. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

The film is brutal in places but if you're into your prison films / don't mind violence then you'd probably like this.

Realised after watching it for a bit that I'd see it before about 8-9 years ago.. 

Superb movie 👍

Utterly relentless in its downbeat, realistic grimness and an incredible performance from Jack O'Connell. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

I think I recall this one is that the one where his dad is inside with him

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â