The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Really like the look of The Substance which comes out in a few weeks.

Yeah looks great.

Really enjoyed Coralie Fargeats movie Revenge and this one looks to be interesting too.

Plus, I'd happily watch Margaret Qualley read a phone book for a couple of hours 😍

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Yeah looks great.

Really enjoyed Coralie Fargeats movie Revenge and this one looks to be interesting too.

Plus, I'd happily watch Margaret Qualley read a phone book for a couple of hours 😍

Margaret Qualley grew up just a few miles (2-3) from the house I grew up in & where my parents still live. She went to more elite schools than did I 😉

• Like 1

spacer.png

Got my nice shiny new 4K of one of my favourite J.Carpenter movies to watch tonight.

Creepily atmospheric with a great 80s colour palette and vibe and one of my favourite OST's from Carpenter and Alan Howarth.

"You will not be saved by the holy ghost. You will not be saved by the god Plutonium. In fact...YOU WILL NOT BE SAVED!"

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

spacer.png

Got my nice shiny new 4K of one of my favourite J.Carpenter movies to watch tonight.

Creepily atmospheric with a great 80s colour palette and vibe and one of my favourite OST's from Carpenter and Alan Howarth.

"You will not be saved by the holy ghost. You will not be saved by the god Plutonium. In fact...YOU WILL NOT BE SAVED!"

I saw this at the drive-in! And it has Alice Cooper 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

I saw this at the drive-in! And it has Alice Cooper 

Yes, I first saw it on release at the cinema with an ex-girlfriend.

Safe to say she didn't appreciate it giving her nightmares and I was quickly given the Spanish Archer 😁

8 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Yes, I first saw it on release at the cinema with an ex-girlfriend.

Safe to say she didn't appreciate it giving her nightmares and I was quickly given the Spanish Archer 😁

That’s a new one to me 👍👍

The Netflix adaptation of Simon Stålenhags The Electric State (Passagen) looks like it could be epic. The Russo brothers are directing and the cast is pretty solid too. Really like the novel and Stålenhags artwork is unreal. With the reported $300m budget they should be able to do it justice. Here's hoping.

The Electric State: Plot, Cast, and Everything Else We KnowTales from the Loop RPG maker to adapt Simon Stålenhag's art book sequel The  Electric State | DicebreakerWatch Simon Stålenhag's art come to life in this fantastic fan-animated  film - The Verge

• Thanks 1

Went to see the new Alien film last night. 

1/10 very dissappointed.

The original Alien film is one of my all time favourite films. This new film has no character development and assumes a bunch of kids can just take off, fly and dock a spaceship without anyone noticing. Very formulaic, this franchise has been wrung out thoroughly of all the cliches you would expect. Nothing original whatsoever.

One of the worst things was seeing, as it's set some hundreds of years in the future, they are still measuring temperature in Fahrenheit !!!

Avoid...

A Ghost Story, starring Casey Affleck and Rooney Mara.

Weird, poignant, sad. Had me fully engaged even though nothing much was happening most of the time.

Made me feel quite melancholy. 

8/10. A very decent film.  

• Like 2

On 29/08/2024 at 20:02, Designer1 said:

spacer.png

Different type of film obviously, but I watched Escape from New York recently, an absolute 80s classic. Donald Pleasance was a great actor. 
The Thing is a great Carpenter movie also.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AJG23 said:

Different type of film obviously, but I watched Escape from New York recently, an absolute 80s classic. Donald Pleasance was a great actor. 
The Thing is a great Carpenter movie also.

Excellent in The Great Escape. Impressive body of work 

On 17/08/2024 at 06:42, Designer1 said:

Just back from...

spacer.png

Well, it was pretty damned good imo and nestles itself firmly just behind Alien and Aliens as my number three of the series.

Wisely sidesteps the superfluous origin baggage that weighed down Prometheus and Covenant and opts instead for a taut, adrenaline fueled, blood soaked slice of pure Sci-Fi Horror which (sometimes shamelessly) hearkens back to the OG and its brilliant sequel.

The cast are all good (particularly David Jonsson with a terrific 'dual' performance as Andy), with some commendably wide-eyed and frantic acting which feeds nicely into the eerie tension and suspense that Alvarezs direction creates. Talking of Alvarez, as a master of the use of tense, claustrophobic terror (See Evil Dead and Don't Breathe for proof) It fits his style to a tee, and his visual style compliments the film perfectly.

The last twenty minutes or so lose it a bit, and theres a few design and narrative choices i would personally have binned off (i wont mention the main gripe as its a mild spoiler) but all in all, its not a bad way to spend a couple of hours and as far as cinematic cover versions go, its up there.

Did a family movie day with the wife and daughter yesterday and they had really wanted to see this, so I said sure.   Plus, a good friend had told us it was good and had seen the back to basics plot as a major positive.

We all came out of it thinking we'd largely wasted 2 hours.   And this is considering that we paid just $12 total for the 3 of us for reclining seats with D-box rumbling and shaking synchronized to the action and sound.  I'm not a huge sci-fi/horror fan, so I get that I'd be much less likely to be wowed by it than you and many others, but I thought the original Alien was fantastic and was kind of looking forward to it.

It certainly had it's good points, but I couldn't get over the the level of willing suspension of disbelief required (not regarding technology or visions of the future or anything) and repeated stupid decisions made by characters to generate the crises, including an absolutely baffling one to set up the final scene.  I was hoping for so much more.

If you're into this sort of thing then you'll probably be glad you saw it (though my wife loves these kind of movies and was bitterly disappointed), but if it's not your thing and you're thinking of going because someone told you it's great, I'd say give it a miss.

If you had to gun-to-your-head narrow it down, your personal top 5 Carpenter flicks?  Pour moi, c'est...

1. The Thing
  2. Assault On Precinct 13 (bonus points for best JC soundtrack)
  3. They Live
  4. Prince Of Darkness
  5. Dark Star

Obviously some heavy hitters missing out, but I adore those ones.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

If you had to gun-to-your-head narrow it down, your personal top 5 Carpenter flicks?  Pour moi, c'est...

1. The Thing
  2. Assault On Precinct 13 (bonus points for best JC soundtrack)
  3. They Live
  4. Prince Of Darkness
  5. Dark Star

Obviously some heavy hitters missing out, but I adore those ones.

1. Halloween 

2. The Thing

3. Escape from New York

4. Assault on Precinct 13

5. Prince of Darkness

• Like 4

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â