The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

On 15/08/2024 at 10:03, rjw63 said:

Shot Caller on Netflix, starring Nicolaj Coster-Waldau.

Cracking effort that must have gone under the radar as I've not heard of it before a few days ago.

Watched it last night. Kind of disappointed. Acting was solid, good overall cast, but man it was some weak writing. Massive plot holes. It wasn’t awful but certainly didn’t live up to the premise. There was a really good movie to be made with this material; the one actually made came up short for me 

Credit where credit’s due: the scene with the riot in the prison yard was outstanding. Violent AF but man did it look and sound incredible 

Edited by Nor-Cal Villan

Bit of early Bong Joon-Ho tonight...

spacer.png

Hadn't rewatched it in over a decade but it's still a superb piece of work.

If you're a fan of his work (Mother, The Host and of course Parasite) and haven't seen it I recommend you do. A terrific Noir(ish) Crime Thriller.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

spacer.png

The Coffee Table.

Superb Spanish horror drama (with a jet black humourus undertone) is one of the most anxiety inducing movies I've ever sat through.

Brilliantly acted by the small cast, it's a taut, well written story of a troubled marriage and one shocking incident that's an incredibly dark watch that will stay with you for some time.

Edited by Designer1

As expected the John Woo remake of his classic The Killer is getting lukewarm to bad reviews. Think I'll stick to the original.

• Like 1

A quiet place: Day 1 was crap.

I thought they might cover what the monsters were, where they came from and why they were there but nope, none of that. Basically the same as the other films but at a different point in time. 

24 minutes ago, Genie said:

I thought they might cover what the monsters were, where they came from and why they were there but nope, none of that. Basically the same as the other films but at a different point in time. 

I actually enjoyed it and thought the two leads were both excellent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Each to their own, but as I posted in here after I'd seen it, I thought it was the best one. Largely down to the performances and chemistry between the two leads who were excellent.

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

You should give Near Dark a go too if you enjoyed that. 

I love JC, but Vampires is one of his weakest films for me.

Near Dark however, is absolutely superb and rightfully hailed as a cult classic.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

I love JC, but Vampires is one of his weakest films for me.

Near Dark however, is absolutely superb and rightfully hailed as a cult classic.

Vampires is definitely nowhere near his best film, maybe not even top ten. 

It's a decent enough film though, especially compared to the utter dross usually put out by James Wood and the 4th Baldwin brother.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Each to their own, but as I posted in here after I'd seen it, I thought it was the best one. Largely down to the performances and chemistry between the two leads who were excellent.

I guess the issue was we were both expecting it to go in a slightly different direction being a prequel, but it was exactly the same as the other 2.

34 minutes ago, stuart_75 said:

Working my way through the Wesley Snipes Blade trilogy. I've forgotton how good these were.

Avoid number three and you're golden. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, stuart_75 said:

Working my way through the Wesley Snipes Blade trilogy. I've forgotton how good these were.

The second one is my favourite with the blood pack and Luke Bros

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, stuart_75 said:

Ron Pearlman, being Ron Pearlman. He's great.

When they walk into that nightclub to the backdrop of Massive Attack is probably one of the coolest scenes in any movie ever made

• Like 1

spacer.png

Just back from this.

An Intense, slow burn psychological thriller showcasing a hugely confident directorial debut from Zoe Kravitz.

Well acted by the main players (Tatum doesnt quite match his Foxcatcher performance but he is very good in this) with a story covering uneasy themes of entitlement, gender politics, toxic masculinity and the lure of wealth and power over personal wellbeing. 

Not an easy watch especially in the final third, but well worth your time imo.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â