The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

5 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

With a title like that were you really expecting it to get better?

It makes me appreciate the good films more.

spacer.png

Enjoyable psychological drama, tightly written with a grimly dark underbelly. The two leads are both excellent with T.McKenzie as the young prison worker and A.Hathaway as the new Psychologist she becomes infatuated with.

On Sky Cinema now and recommended. 

7 hours ago, Designer1 said:

spacer.png

Enjoyable psychological drama, tightly written with a grimly dark underbelly. The two leads are both excellent with T.McKenzie as the young prison worker and A.Hathaway as the new Psychologist she becomes infatuated with.

On Sky Cinema now and recommended. 

The book is incredible. I highly recommend it 

It's D23

They've announced the Incredibles 3, shown daredevil footage, given avatar 3 a title, some tron news (NIN on the soundtrack rather than daft punk) a Moana 2 trailer, some andor behind the scenes stuff and toy story 5 coming in 2026

4348472-toystory5image.jpg

• Sad 1

Shot Caller on Netflix, starring Nicolaj Coster-Waldau.

Cracking effort that must have gone under the radar as I've not heard of it before a few days ago.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rjw63 said:

Cracking effort that must have gone under the radar as I've not heard of it before a few days ago.

Pretty sure I recommended it on here iirc.

Really good prison movie and NCW was excellent.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rjw63 said:

Thanks for the tip, definitely under my radar. Will definitely be checking this out 

For those with Netflix I can recommend Fracture with Anthony Hopkins and Ryan Gosling. Its not new but I enjoyed it a lot, mainly down to Mr Hopkins doing his stuff.

• Like 1

Found this little gem last night, some genuine scares and well worth a punt if a fan of the genre 

There is a 2nd one I will dig out at the weekend 

The Houses October Built (Film) - TV Tropes

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Found this little gem last night, some genuine scares and well worth a punt if a fan of the genre 

There is a 2nd one I will dig out at the weekend 

The Houses October Built (Film) - TV Tropes

Second one is decent but...

Spoiler

It does sort of **** up how the first one ended.

• Like 1

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs.

Different but enjoyable, shame the Buster Scruggs section wasn’t a bit longer though.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

IMG-0550.jpg

Very entertaining, funny film. Way better than it has any right to be. Casey Affleck has always struck me as a massive tool but he does comedy well (his SNL appearances are great). 

Would guess and say it's once again Boston being Boston but to be fair the films from that stable are actually pretty good 

8 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Would guess and say it's once again Boston being Boston but to be fair the films from that stable are actually pretty good 

100% 👍👍 but the Bostonish is pretty light-handed and hilarious 

• Like 1

@Designer1's beaten me to the punch on this, but I've a feeling reading your thoughts that we're pretty much aligned!

Non-Spoiler headline - great film that could have been an exceptional one, but for a couple things where it was it's own worst enemy.  A 10/10 that decides to punch itself in the face down to an 8/10.

To wit... *spoiler warning*

This film can and should be used as a case study as to the difference between a smart reference and a Memberberry.

Smart references; colony's atmospheric processor and the fact that it said "Seegson Communications", blink-and-miss background shot of the phonebooth/checkpoint from Alien: Isolation (all the Isolation stuff actually, was very nice to see), blocking which evoked some of the great shots of the original films without wholesale copying them (panning to see a horde crawling along the wall, the claustrophobic entry to the station) although sometimes they run this right up to the line of acceptability (I was ready to hate Spaeny being shown how to operate a Pulse Rifle, but it gets a pass for setting up parts of following scenes and the very knowing "magazines and video games" line, which made me audibly guffaw).

However, the outright quoting of the series' most famous lines is head-slappingly dumb in places, the most egregious of which (and worst part of the film) which sucked all of the air out what was otherwise a terrific set-piece, that I saw my wife literally facepalm next to me as a result (and is, I suspect, what @Designer1's referring to above); "Get away from her you bitch".  Groan.

The Ian Holm CGI looked a bit ropey (although there is something poetic about it being an actual Android giving off the big whiff of Uncanny Valley) but that also gets a pass if it meant they got to plow more money into the practical effects budget, because holy shit this film looks gorgeous.  The work on the creatures is so good that it managed to make them outright scary again (the face-hugger scenes are masterful) and they've managed to pull off some of that unsettlingly sexualised imagery that would have made Giger very happy (weird, weird bloke).

Onto the story; tight and consistent, we get a decent amount of set-up time with the characters, there's no stupid logic leaps and most of what is set-up gets paid off, there are some genuinely good jump-scares without leaning too heavily on them and big kudos for nobody doing anything horror-movie-cliché-level stupid.  Andy is by far the standout of the film as far as the characters go, and Jonsson is superb.  Oh, those reviews that apparently are being critical of the film not doing anything different are full of shit; the best part of the film is a sequence with acid blood in zero gravity, absolutely fantastic and had me on the edge of my seat. 

I've only got two gripes as far as the story goes; 1) I'm not massively sure the last 20 minutes were necessary, it was a good enough scene but I would have maybe preferred either leaving Merced's character's fate ambiguous or just have it be another xenomorph over the character design we got, it looked a little bit too silly for my tastes (along similar lines to Ripley's "Child" in Alien Resurrection, which is probably what they were going for but yeah, it just looked a bit funny) and 2) THE GODDAMN MACGUFFIN DIDN'T NEED TO TIE INTO **** PROMETHEUS, IT'S A MACGUFFIN, IT CAN BE ANYTHING, JUST LET PROMETHEUS DIE ALREADY.  Could have just as easily been a way to introduce the Royal Jelly concept from the comics, which I would have marked the **** out for.  Ah well.

Ultimately I'd be lying if I said I didn't come out the cinema with a big, big grin on my face.  It's great work, it's good enough that you can ultimately forgive it's flaws and it's easily the 4th best film in the series (I admittedly love Alien³ more than most, so I can understandably see this going in as most people's 3rd favourite).

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
Dead Shot (film) - Wikipedia

cracking bit of cinema. Strong acting strong  cast

It is thoroughly worthy the investment

catches the sites and the feel of the 1970s perfectly
Edited by Follyfoot

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â