The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

2 minutes ago, Chindie said:

The Nick Cave idea kinda needs to be made by someone sometime, if only to see what the reaction to it would be. And to see who had the bollocks to make it. 

And yes this has a great cast but... that trailer kinda says it all really. It's a second Gladiator, but without much reason for it to be. The whole trailer is very 'soft reboot-y', lots of bits that intentionally call back to the original film but without much compelling reason to do so outside of them wanting a sequel where one wasn't needed. So it seems completely without depth.

Of course it's Ridley Scott so technically it'll be brilliant and gorgeous, he's the ultimate jobbing director after all, but I don't have a great deal of faith in what it is beyond that. 

No compelling reason?

Lots and lots of lemmings, er, I mean, people, paying lots of money to watch a film no one needed is all the compelling reason they will ever need 

On 06/07/2024 at 07:40, villa4europe said:

Con air is a moment in time, it's a film that a lot of us of a certain age will remember very fondly, same with gone in 60 seconds and face off but they'll probably have aged better 

The Rock is his best film 

Matchstick men is seriously underrated 

It sometimes seems to me like he owes the tax man money and has to take anything he can get his hands on 

Con Air has just started on Film Four.

• Like 1

I really hope they dont **** up bettelejuice 2

I personally think its gonna be shit. How two of the actors are not in it - geena davis and alec baldwin. Cant see it being good without them

That Top Gun sequel being a financial success was the worst that could happen to cinema. Means we're gonna get 10 years more of already successful IP's getting reboots, prequels, origin stories and sequels rather than Hollywood trying to do something new. Still get indie stuff of course but the money will go stuff wrapped in the comfortable blanket that is a already proven IP.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, sne said:

That Top Gun sequel being a financial success was the worst that could happen to cinema. Means we're gonna get 10 years more of already successful IP's getting reboots, prequels, origin stories and sequels rather than Hollywood trying to do something new. Still get indie stuff of course but the money will go stuff wrapped in the comfortable blanket that is a already proven IP.

Agree, and it sucks. Unfortunately there are seemingly enough people* who will lap up whatever the big studios releases, so why would the studios ever change? Path of least resistance baby. 

*=I strongly suspect these are the same people who have made the bane that is reality television such a thing 🙄

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

Agree, and it sucks. Unfortunately there are seemingly enough people* who will lap up whatever the big studios releases, so why would the studios ever change? Path of least resistance baby. 

*=I strongly suspect these are the same people who have made the bane that is reality television such a thing 🙄

One of the worst remakes i think i seen was karate kid. If we get more shit like that people wont bother with remakes

4f2b3057bbb514480e2cea8cc532b751f940a096

Häxan (Benjamin Christensen) - Great masterpiece

6f24085c43fb73717569a1e7b5387f076714337c

Grass Labyrinth (Shūji Terayama) - Dreamy atmospheric movie, enjoyed it

• Like 1

Just back from The Quiet Place Day One - really good watch and worthy addition to The Quiet Place franchise.

Both leads, Lupita Nyong’o and Joe Quinn were excellent. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, theboyangel said:

Just back from The Quiet Place Day One - really good watch and worthy addition to The Quiet Place franchise.

Both leads, Lupita Nyong’o and Joe Quinn were excellent. 

Screw that!

How was the cat? 😉

• Haha 1

On 09/07/2024 at 16:02, Chindie said:

There's a film that shouldn't have been made.

I said to my wife that I don't know how or why there's a Gladiator sequel.

After a beat, she said "Well, the first one was contenders, ready".

It's the second funniest thing she's ever said to me (the first being on the subject of how much I hate cucumbers, I said I didn't understand how something that was mostly water could smell so pungent, to wit her response: "you're 60% water").

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 06/07/2024 at 23:48, GarethRDR said:

Although I **** hate when Vue have posters for films they're not actually showing in that branch, got my hopes up when I saw In A Violent Nature but it's not actually screening anywhere near us.

Rejoice and praise be to whomever at Vue is lurking on this thread, we're now getting a whole two screenings tomorrow. :hooray:

• Like 3

Just now, Follyfoot said:

The sixth sense before he died

Nah you're not thinking big enough; a whole series of prequels, each covering a different one of Bruce Willis' senses.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â