The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

13 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Hit Man on Netflix was great great fun.

all about a fake hitman, working for the New Orleans Police posing as a Hit Man to catch people wanting to hire him to kill.

Brilliantly written and well acted. 

I liked it too.

My only "issue" with it is that the film tried to have us believe that Glen Powell wasn't an extremely good looking man until the moment he took his glasses off. Then suddenly the class he teaches are like "when did our teacher become so hot?!" 

Very minor point, was just a bit dumb :D 

Good film tho!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

I liked it too.

My only "issue" with it is that the film tried to have us believe that Glen Powell wasn't an extremely good looking man until the moment he took his glasses off. Then suddenly the class he teaches are like "when did our teacher become so hot?!" 

Very minor point, was just a bit dumb :D 

Good film tho!

Yeah I get that, other than the glasses and spammed hair it was pretty much still Glenn Powell (who is a little too handsome regardless!)

some great outfits/disguises adopted though 😂

Posted (edited)

Just back from...

spacer.png

Enjoyed it a lot.

It falls short of X and (especially) Pearl but it's still a very well made movie and Ti West now has imo one of the strongest horror trilogies ever on his CV.

The 80s horror influences are evident, with many of the more violent scenes delving into Giallo territory. 

Mia Goth is terrific as usual and hats off to Kevin Bacon for devouring every scene with slimy gusto.

Good stuff.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Training day has some unforgettable scenes, but the one I really like is when Jake shoots Alonzo in the Arris. That's exactly how I would imagine the reaction to being shot there. 

I still think giving him the Oscar was out of sympathy for denying him with his outstanding performance as Malcolm X. I thought, personally, he gave a better performance in Man on Fire.

Edited by sheepyvillian

42 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Sister Brothers is also on IPlayer. Well worth a watch for anyone who hasn't seen it.

Love that film.

13 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Just back from...

spacer.png

Enjoyed it a lot.

It falls short of X and (especially) Pearl but it's still a very well made movie and Ti West now has imo one of the strongest horror trilogies ever on his CV.

The 80s horror influences are evident, with many of the more violent scenes delving into Giallo territory. 

Mia Goth is terrific as usual and hats off to Kevin Bacon for devouring every scene with slimy gusto.

Good stuff.

Pretty much my thoughts on it as well, it was more of an 80s style thriller than a horror but I love the way that each film completely switches up the style and genre.

I struggle to pick between X and Pearl as a favourite, I think that I prefer X because it is more of a straight up slasher while Pearl is difficult to pinpoint what subgenre it would fall into, I loved both of them though.

Maxxxine if the bottom of the 3 but still a great movie and one that I'll be buying on bluray and rewatching a few times.

@Designer1 have you seen Infinity Pool with Mia Goth and what were your thoughts on it? I thought she was great in that as well but there was one scene (where she is sitting on a car) and was just wailing and shouting and my god her voice grated on me.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Sister Brothers is also on IPlayer. Well worth a watch for anyone who hasn't seen it.

Hated this film, I was really excited for it having read the book first but the film just didn't do it any justice at all in my opinion.

7 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

Hated this film, I was really excited for it having read the book first but the film just didn't do it any justice at all in my opinion.

I have this with films (or series) of books that I have read that I love

For me, it is the mental image you create of the main characters and surroundings in the book, the adaptation for film or series is never going to match that in appearance or be totally faithful to the source material 

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

@Designer1 have you seen Infinity Pool with Mia Goth and what were your thoughts on it?

I have seen it yeah (I like Cronenberg jnr,).

I thought it was very good, really liked the terrifically dark central premise about moralistic choices.

We also get to see Goth wank someone off while they take a whizz, so win-win 😁

Edited by Designer1

The rubbish film I watched yesterday was Gods of the Deep, awful and last week it was American Star, very awful... I try and watch at least one dreadful film each week

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

The rubbish film I watched yesterday was Gods of the Deep, awful and last week it was American Star, very awful... I try and watch at least one dreadful film each week

There's something very cathartic about watching a truly bad movie, particularly when it's so bad it's funny.

11 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

There's something very cathartic about watching a truly bad movie, particularly when it's so bad it's funny.

Neither was meant to be funny but the stories and acting were hilarious

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Chindie said:

There's a film that shouldn't have been made.

Terrific cast tbf.

Still think they should have gone with the Nick Cave version though 😆

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Terrific cast tbf.

Still think they should have gone with the Nick Cave version though 😆

The Nick Cave idea kinda needs to be made by someone sometime, if only to see what the reaction to it would be. And to see who had the bollocks to make it. 

And yes this has a great cast but... that trailer kinda says it all really. It's a second Gladiator, but without much reason for it to be. The whole trailer is very 'soft reboot-y', lots of bits that intentionally call back to the original film but without much compelling reason to do so outside of them wanting a sequel where one wasn't needed. So it seems completely without depth.

Of course it's Ridley Scott so technically it'll be brilliant and gorgeous, he's the ultimate jobbing director after all, but I don't have a great deal of faith in what it is beyond that. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â