The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

10 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Serious question, when you say you’re going to see it, are you saying its playing in a cinema, or are you saying you know they have the dvd down the petrol station?

I’m not a big movie watcher, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen an advert for one of these around a ‘normal’ cinema. But hands up, I’m really not there very often.

I’ve got a couple of these as stocking filler presents over the years, they can vary somewhat in depth of characterisation etc..

Cinema, first one since the first to be given that accolade I think 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Designer1 said:

It was on at my local cinemas this week Chris.

They have quite the cult following so still do pretty good numbers.

It's also reviewed pretty well (they usually get panned).

I had a chat with the director of the original film many years ago. Decent bloke tbh.

I think it’s coming to the end of its  shelf life now.

There’s only so much you can do up to the murders in 1995 and most of it has been done to death. Also Fairbass  is in his mid 50’s and he’s trying to play Tate, a bloke in his mid 30s. 

The ending to this does one set up another one which I probably think they will make if the numbers do well on this and that will probably will be the end of it IMO so it can rest  in peace, unlike Tate, Rolfe and Tucker

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1

Finally caught the Flash tonight.

It's good. There's problems - Miller gives a good performance but it's hard to look past who he is, there's a significant amount of CGI that is rushed, the opening set piece is so ridiculously overblown the film holds you at arms length for ages, it's got a lot of motormouth high energy goofy comedy which grates and it's messy. But it is good - it takes the Flashpoint story and plays with it with a fun degree. Keaton is great as an old Burton Batman, and the character is the most badass he's ever been. Kara Zor-el is great. It's got some decent action too, if a bit CGI-tastic.

The big issue is the CGI and you do have to look past it too often. The odd thing is there's absolutely insane amounts of CG in this thing, and an awful lot is great. So good you barely notice it's CGI good. The problem comes with the bad bits being particularly crap. There's ropey CG in this, there's CG just looks unfinished, there's CG that is just a bad idea that no amount of time and money is going to make look good, there's CG that is really, really ambitious that they were on a hiding to nothing on, and there's CG were they clearly went '**** it that'll do'. I've heard that there were a few issues with the CG work and you can certainly believe it. Supposedly the production didn't give specific instructions to the CG team and would then tinker and redo scenes repeatedly, and the team was also forced to rush a number of scenes as they ran out of time. And you can tell. I was able to look past most of it, but there's some you can't. The worst for me being the climactic action scene which clearly had the team go 'we can't do anything fancy' so the entire thing takes place in a perfectly flat, completely empty void they want you to believe is a salt flat. It looks like a Dreamcast game with the resolution on hyper mode. It's terrible.

If you can set that aside, look past it, or just accept it is what it is, there's quite a fun movie here, and certainly not a film that should have flopped like it did.

It nothing else...

sashacalle_354381857_3391830861077938_72

Dear lord.

• Like 2

Saw this last night...

spacer.png

Enjoyed it.

I'd imagine if you liked the other two of Branaghs outings as Poirot you'll get something from this.

It has a darker tone, a more streamlined story (less main characters which allows more focus on the overall narrative) and is beautifully shot and well directed (by Branagh).

Good stuff.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 3

On 18/09/2023 at 08:23, Follyfoot said:

I think it’s coming to the end of its  shelf life now.

There’s only so much you can do up to the murders in 1995 and most of it has been done to death. Also Fairbass  is in his mid 50’s and he’s trying to play Tate, a bloke in his mid 30s. 

The ending to this does one set up another one which I probably think they will make if the numbers do well on this and that will probably will be the end of it IMO so it can rest  in peace, unlike Tate, Rolfe and Tucker

one for @Xela

Even more amusing, I have just found out that there is a rise of the footsoldier mobile game that looks suspiciously like double Dragon🤣🤣

you can play as Tate, Rolfe or Tucker with narration, by Bill Murray

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

sherman-1200-1200-675-675-crop-000000.jp

Sherman's March (Ross McElwee)
Ross McElwee sets out to make a film about the lingering effects of General Sherman’s march of destruction through the South during the Civil War, but is continually sidetracked by women who come and go in his life, his recurring dreams of nuclear holocaust, and Burt Reynolds.

• Like 1

Watched in to the spider verse yesterday on a plane

The scale of it is just incredible, it's a stunning film, brilliantly written too with the new characters landing, so many gags and little touches that I'm sure loads went over my head, it's outright one of the best films I've watched in a long time

And all that was watching it on a shitty screen with bad sound... Going to have to watch it again very soon in 4k on the big TV

• Like 2

Just back from...

spacer.png

Yeah easily the best one since the first in terms of overall quality, direction and narrative. A more fleshed out story but absolutely no dilution of the gore factor.

Fans of the series (like me) will love it and I think it may also surprise a few people who aren't as big a fans of the series.

I can definitely see why it's been positively reviewed 👍

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Just back from...

spacer.png

Yeah easily the best one since the first in terms of overall quality, direction and narrative. A more fleshed out story but absolutely no dilution of the gore factor.

Fans of the series (like me) will love it and I think it may also surprise a few people who aren't as big a fans of the series.

Great to here. Im really looking forward to this one as its set between saw 1 and 2. 

Cant wait

38 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Just back from...

spacer.png

just got back myself. really enjoyable, and arguably the best saw film including the first. great to see john kramer being the star for once.

Spoiler

some of the traps are getting silly though. 3 minutes...3 freaking minutes to saw open your skull, hack off some brain, dissolve said piece of brain, take key, and unlock a padlock. the other one, asking to hack off a leg and then whilst in agonising pain get the thing just in the right point of the bone to extract bone marrow...seriously? i get they're trying to be original but his MO is giving people a chance...they had zero chance of escaping those traps

also found it weird that easily the most despicable person ever to grace a saw film actually survived. oh and whilst on the subject of her, she claims to have known he was jigsaw, so maybe she might have thought "hmm...i could rip off this highly intelligent and resourceful serial killer, or i could just leave this one and steal from other people off instead" but i guess she was just that greedy...i'm trying not to pick holes. that line about her knowing who he was just annoyed me because she'd have known he's not a man to **** with. maybe she just thought he was a frail cancer victim and possibly didn't know about his accomplices

and sorry to nitpick, but this was supposed to be a prequel...there's all sorts you can do with makeup etc...could they have at least tried to make him look younger, rather than the 20 years older he is from when we first saw him?

14 hours ago, Bizzzle said:

Just seen The Creator and thought is was brilliant. Maybe my favourite film of the year

Just back from this.

Bit disappointing if I'm honest. VIsually impressive, but the story and script were pretty weak (and incredibly derivative) and it was at least 30 minutes too long.

5 hours ago, useless said:

d676020e3e407335ef82af3bcdb5f0ac75fe890d

The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar - Great

164554b9a40a73a482c9a052b8ed92d97993ea4f

The Swan - Okay but was a little bored

a724a6b5b04585a9391539a6369d7952f5274197

The Rat Catcher - Good

33a74c54805f4867fe6ab9d5598f562ec0c8d7ea

Poison - Enjoyed it

I was going to joke that Wes Anderson has been busy until I looked up these movies.

• Like 1

On 29/09/2023 at 23:15, tomav84 said:

just got back myself. really enjoyable, and arguably the best saw film including the first. great to see john kramer being the star for once.

Hide contents

some of the traps are getting silly though. 3 minutes...3 freaking minutes to saw open your skull, hack off some brain, dissolve said piece of brain, take key, and unlock a padlock. the other one, asking to hack off a leg and then whilst in agonising pain get the thing just in the right point of the bone to extract bone marrow...seriously? i get they're trying to be original but his MO is giving people a chance...they had zero chance of escaping those traps

also found it weird that easily the most despicable person ever to grace a saw film actually survived. oh and whilst on the subject of her, she claims to have known he was jigsaw, so maybe she might have thought "hmm...i could rip off this highly intelligent and resourceful serial killer, or i could just leave this one and steal from other people off instead" but i guess she was just that greedy...i'm trying not to pick holes. that line about her knowing who he was just annoyed me because she'd have known he's not a man to **** with. maybe she just thought he was a frail cancer victim and possibly didn't know about his accomplices

and sorry to nitpick, but this was supposed to be a prequel...there's all sorts you can do with makeup etc...could they have at least tried to make him look younger, rather than the 20 years older he is from when we first saw him?

I have to say this saw was very strange.  Good storytelling and build up on chatchers bit very poor ending. On your point

Spoiler

I have to say your point about the most despicable person surviving i wholeheartedly agree. It made no **** sense. He has killed less horrible people. "The twist" was so weak  you knew srraight away the guy who claimed he was scammed would turn on john and Amanda. 

Why would he let her live after what she did to his young friend and knwoing he is is jigsaw? What they should have done is have the "blood boarding trap" for her and him then kill ghem both. That would have been most satisfying punishiment for her.

Also another point i want to add she was not tested at all. The rest of her team got brutal tests and she got nothing!! How does that make sense?

If they go with a saw 11 they need to kill her off in opening scene because otherwise the fans dont buy that ending

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Also did you guys realise their was a mid credits scene for saw x?

Yeah I'd read there was one so I stayed to watch it.

Spoiler

Hoffman 😎

Edited by Designer1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â