The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Robert Picardo ftw.

Innerspace-The-Cowboy-10.jpg

What a leg-end. :thumb: As tempting a title as "Monsterwolf" is (:lol:) if I want to watch a werewolf flick with Picardo in it, I think I'll stick to The Howling. Second best werewolf flick ever (just behind American Werewolf in London and just in front of Dog Soldiers and Ginger Snaps).

One that surprised me, Guy Ritchie's take on Sherlock Holmes.

Took me the best part of a month to watch in my breaks at work, but I went in expecting it to be a bit shit with a Robert Downey Jr. shaped plus point, and discovered it's actually pretty good. The story is hokum and I daresay Sherlock afficionados would have palpitations over it, but it's a good witty action film, looks great and every character is played brilliantly. Even Ritchie's directorial style has the reins pulled in a bit.

Worth a watch.

One that surprised me, Guy Ritchie's take on Sherlock Holmes.

Took me the best part of a month to watch in my breaks at work, but I went in expecting it to be a bit shit with a Robert Downey Jr. shaped plus point, and discovered it's actually pretty good. The story is hokum and I daresay Sherlock afficionados would have palpitations over it, but it's a good witty action film, looks great and every character is played brilliantly. Even Ritchie's directorial style has the reins pulled in a bit.

Worth a watch.

Couldn't get past the concept of Holmes with five o'clock shadow and a perm.

Basil Rathbone(or Jeremy Brett) FTW.

Having said that, I loved the recent BBC modern update.

I've an uncle who I always thought looked like Sherlock Holmes* when I was growing up :D

* which I now know to be the Jeremy Brett version

If you go into it thinking of it as a well made action film with a slightly lighthearted edge and the Sherlock side of things being... a theme rather than the point of the film you might well enjoy it. It's less of a detective story, though theres a little of Holmes being very sharp and being able to deduce a great deal from seemingly benign situations and objects, and he is ultimately solving a bit of a mystery, but if you want Rathbone, stay away.

Basic rule of thumb with Von Trier is assume he's lying. His thing seems to be to play with his audience in one way or another, even outside of his films he puts up this trickster style and never seems to reveal anything genuinely truthful.

Incidentally, Breaking the Waves is one of the grimmest films I've seen.

Watched attack the block, very good, to be fair most of the best jokes are in the trailer but are still funny, the characters are believable the script is good but at times hard to get everything, doesn't feel cheap and doesn't overplay the fairly obvious morals undertone

Really? I thought the screenwriting was "pandering" to capture a target market. I thought it lacked any real wit or charm, and frankly for a "semi horror" film that made me cheer on the murdering aliens, suggested somehow that it didnt hit the spot. Ofc anything with Nick Frost in and heralded as "from the makers of Shaun of the Dead" is going to garner some positive press, but the film just annoyed me. On so many levels. It was, the performance of Jodie Whittaker aside, totally lame. If I never see it again, its too soon. Its the second worst film I've seen since Sin City.

But we all have different tastes, and if we were the same, then it would be a dull place.

If I never see it again, its too soon. Its the second worst film I've seen since Sin City.

Oooh, attacking Sin City. Controversial.

But I agree. I found it mind-numbingly boring and stupid.

Hm, the number of swedish movies making it international is growing. Has Lilya forever been out in the UK for a long time? It's rather old. I haven't seen it. :oops:

After the latest revelations of his nanny shagging i thought it would be fitting to watch an arnie movie so i chose one of his most recent ones he might be old and that but he still kicks ass zimmerframe and all.

Collateral-Damage_2.jpg

Hm, the number of swedish movies making it international is growing. Has Lilya forever been out in the UK for a long time? It's rather old. I haven't seen it. :oops:

According to IMDB it's UK release was 2003 mate. I had it from LoveFilm a while ago after someone recommended it to me.

Lilya 4eva is fantastic. I got the Moodysson-box with 3 of his other movies, all of which are very good - including **** Amal aka. Show Me Love which probably the cutest teen lesbian love story you will ever see

Basic rule of thumb with Von Trier is assume he's lying.

Oh theres no doubt, but it would be more accurate to say he was 'joking' than lying. An odd fellow...I am pretty certain none of his fellow auteurs would attempt to make such comments on that stage. The look on Dunst's face was quality though.

Very very much looking forward to Meloncholia! Perhaps he will revisit nazism in his next flick - one of his early films Europa (and one his best) focsu's around an American man who goes to post-war Germany ~'46, falls in love with a nazi girl, and gets embroiled in a spot of terrorism.

Lilya 4eva is fantastic. I got the Moodysson-box with 3 of his other movies, all of which are very good - including **** Amal aka. Show Me Love which probably the cutest teen lesbian love story you will ever see

I was about to recommend that one. His first film, IIRC, and a huge hit over here. As I've understand it a lot more light hearted than Lilya forever, and yet a little, hm, moody. I've been on the bridge where they try to take a hitch hike. :D It's not located in Åmål, though, it's i Trollhättan. Which is rather logical as it was recorded there. :P Anyway, **** Åmål is very good, Together ( I guess the english title would be) is so and so, have some bright glimpses, and as said, I'm yet to see Lilya.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â