The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

watched Passengers. Thought it was a great film, as did most of my mates and wife.  

Looked at critics reviews - they all pretty much panned it. 

Why the big difference in opinion for this particular film?

I'm glad I wasn't the only one. Its hardly an Oscar winning script but you have to forgive these films some stupid dialog along the way (felt the same about Prometheus).

Spoiler

I also didn't think Chris Pratt's actions were that bad either, he spent a year considering it before he did it at least! e certainly showed remorse afterwards and basically put his life on the line to save everyone else on the ship, if that doesn't go some way to redeeming his actions I don't know what does.

Was it just me that thought it had a real GotG feel to it? Not sure if it was the music, the comedy element or just the general look of it, looks like it'll be a massive bridge to the whole universe opening up, looks really good

• Like 3

I also watched a film called Passengers, but an older one, starring Anne Hathaway. 

I'll admit I never got the twist! It was ok, passed 90 mins. 

y220px-Passengersposter08.jpg

31 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Was it just me that thought it had a real GotG feel to it? Not sure if it was the music, the comedy element or just the general look of it, looks like it'll be a massive bridge to the whole universe opening up, looks really good

Very retro feel to it. Waititi knows where his bread's buttered.

Finally saw Rogue One last night. 

Some suspect acting from Jyn, Cassian and Mr Whittaker (channelling his best Broken Matt Hardy tribute) at times and I didn't much like the droid at the start but he grew on me as it went on but these are minor criticisms.

Apart from that though I thought it was bloomin' fabulous. Great story, great pace and an obviously sad conclusion. Loved the Wampa beast cameo although a friendly wampa confused me.

Up there with ANH and ESB as the top three SW films.

Donnie Yen was great too.

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 4

I've never gone out of my way to watch a Marvel film and haven't particularly enjoyed any that I've watched. I've found most of them pretty awful tbh. But I'll be going to the cinema to watch the new Thor, simply because of Taika Waititi. 

• Like 1

Watched Intersteller last night

good film right up until the point they ruined it with about 30 mins to go ... 

for sone reason my 9 year old daughter who watched it with me loved it to the point she watched it again today ... maybe that says something about who it appeals to !!

interestingly she worked out the handshake straight away was quite impressed she got that ....

Josh Brolin has signed a 4 film deal to play Cable, starting with Deadpool 2 and presumably including that X Force movie they've been on about for about 15 years.

Not being a fan, that seems to be a bit of a miscasting

Cable-promo-image.jpg

Josh-Brolin-Photo-Credit-Tommaso-Boddi-W

Just back from Power Rangers. Almost literally nothing else to see at the moment.

It was surprisingly decent. A solid 6.5/10. Some poor dialogue and plot holes but fairly mature for power rangers and nothing fell flat.

58 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Josh Brolin has signed a 4 film deal to play Cable, starting with Deadpool 2 and presumably including that X Force movie they've been on about for about 15 years.

Not being a fan, that seems to be a bit of a miscasting

Cable-promo-image.jpg

Josh-Brolin-Photo-Credit-Tommaso-Boddi-W

Those **** amateurs...

20cb33f406f815f05f81cd109f77be10c3450f6a

• Like 1

2 films watched recently.

Full metal jacket, I absolutely adore this for mainly for one reason. Ermeys turn as Hartman is absolutely fantastic.

Nerve - I have to admit to having a bit of a thing for Emma Roberts which drew me to this film. Also starring Dave Franco who I have liked in the few things I've seen him in, it's a beautifully shot film and has an interesting premise. Doesn't quite hit the heights it could have but a decent enough way to pass 100 minutes.

Edited by AVFCDAN

On 10/04/2017 at 15:11, AVFCDAN said:

I'm glad I wasn't the only one. Its hardly an Oscar winning script but you have to forgive these films some stupid dialog along the way (felt the same about Prometheus).

Reveal hidden contents

I also didn't think Chris Pratt's actions were that bad either, he spent a year considering it before he did it at least! e certainly showed remorse afterwards and basically put his life on the line to save everyone else on the ship, if that doesn't go some way to redeeming his actions I don't know what does.

Spoiler

Not only that, but it turns out if he hadn't woken her then she would have died a year later whilst sleeping, as Chris Pratt couldn't have saved the ship by himself. 
So he actually saved her life by waking her!

16 hours ago, V01 said:

Those **** amateurs...

20cb33f406f815f05f81cd109f77be10c3450f6a

Everyone online seemed to want him or that Nathan Fillion clown. Cable's probably my favourite character in fiction and I'm glad they went with neither. Brolin isn't my first choice, but I'm happy with it. 

I liked the first Deadpool movie, but as a non comic book guy (worst superhero name ever) the backstory for Cable seems amazingly complicated.

You guys think they are going to bother with it (will take a fair bit of time for non fans to grasp it) or since it's a Deadpool movie they are just going to say f it, it what it is, deal with it?

For me the comic book movies are now getting into the realm of that you need prior knowledge to really enjoy them (part from explosions, shiny things and such stuff) and for that to work for me it has to be really well done. Most of the later ones hasn't been any good IMO.

Anyone can dig an origin story, but when they expand the universe it's so much harder.

There's not a chance they do Cables full back story.

I don't think you need prior knowledge much really. Obviously Civil War for instance doesn't work as well as a standalone story, but you so long as you know who the characters are it works as a movie. You don't need to have seen every appearance of every character involved to enjoy it. People tire of the origin formula (a criticism of Dr Strange was it was a return to a formula Marvel hadn't used for a while that felt tired to some) whereas using the established characters people liked the development (Civil War is the best RDJ has been as Stark for instance) and universe building.

Most people would say that, in general, the movies have been getting better imo.

19 minutes ago, Chindie said:

There's not a chance they do Cables full back story.

I don't think you need prior knowledge much really. Obviously Civil War for instance doesn't work as well as a standalone story, but you so long as you know who the characters are it works as a movie. You don't need to have seen every appearance of every character involved to enjoy it. People tire of the origin formula (a criticism of Dr Strange was it was a return to a formula Marvel hadn't used for a while that felt tired to some) whereas using the established characters people liked the development (Civil War is the best RDJ has been as Stark for instance) and universe building.

Most people would say that, in general, the movies have been getting better imo.

For me they are getting less enjoyable to the point i skip them at the movies where they are intended to be watched.

Of the later ones Deadpool is probably the only one on the top of my head that I liked.

Only thing I liked about Civil War was the side flick with Thor explaining why he wasn't in the movie :)

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â