The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

On 24/08/2016 at 15:05, BOF said:

I leave this here for your perusery pleasure.  If there's one thing better than a list, it's disagreeing with someone else's.  The BBC polled some international film crickets to see what the 100 best films of the 21st century are.  Now far be it from me to point out that the year 2000 is technically still in the 20th century, but anyhoo, here's what they came up with.

100. Requiem for a Dream (Darren Aronofsky, 2000)
100. Carlos (Olivier Assayas, 2010)
99. The Gleaners and I (Agnès Varda, 2000)
98. Ten (Abbas Kiarostami, 2002)
97. White Material (Claire Denis, 2009)
96. Finding Nemo (Andrew Stanton, 2003)
95. Moonrise Kingdom (Wes Anderson, 2012)
94. Let the Right One In (Tomas Alfredson, 2008)
93. Ratatouille (Brad Bird, 2007)
92. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (Andrew Dominik, 2007)
91. The Secret in Their Eyes (Juan José Campanella, 2009)
90. The Pianist (Roman Polanski, 2002)
89. The Headless Woman (Lucrecia Martel, 2008)
88. Spotlight (Tom McCarthy, 2015)
87. Amélie (Jean-Pierre Jeunet, 2001)
86. Far From Heaven (Todd Haynes, 2002)
85. A Prophet (Jacques Audiard, 2009)
84. Her (Spike Jonze, 2013)
83. A.I. Artificial Intelligence (Steven Spielberg, 2001)
82. A Serious Man (Joel and Ethan Coen, 2009)
81. Shame (Steve McQueen, 2011)
80. The Return (Andrey Zvyagintsev, 2003)
79. Almost Famous (Cameron Crowe, 2000)
78. The Wolf of Wall Street (Martin Scorsese, 2013)
77. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly (Julian Schnabel, 2007)
76. Dogville (Lars von Trier, 2003)
75. Inherent Vice (Paul Thomas Anderson, 2014)
74. Spring Breakers (Harmony Korine, 2012)
73. Before Sunset (Richard Linklater, 2004)
72. Only Lovers Left Alive (Jim Jarmusch, 2013)
71. Tabu (Miguel Gomes, 2012)
70. Stories We Tell (Sarah Polley, 2012)
69. Carol (Todd Haynes, 2015)
68. The Royal Tenenbaums (Wes Anderson, 2001)
67. The Hurt Locker (Kathryn Bigelow, 2008)
66. Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter…and Spring (Kim Ki-duk, 2003)
65. Fish Tank (Andrea Arnold, 2009)
64. The Great Beauty (Paolo Sorrentino, 2013)
63. The Turin Horse (Béla Tarr and Ágnes Hranitzky, 2011)
62. Inglourious Basterds (Quentin Tarantino, 2009)
61. Under the Skin (Jonathan Glazer, 2013)
60. Syndromes and a Century (Apichatpong Weerasethakul, 2006)
59. A History of Violence (David Cronenberg, 2005)
58. Moolaadé (Ousmane Sembène, 2004)
57. Zero Dark Thirty (Kathryn Bigelow, 2012)
56. Werckmeister Harmonies (Béla Tarr, director; Ágnes Hranitzky, co-director, 2000)
55. Ida (Paweł Pawlikowski, 2013)
54. Once Upon a Time in Anatolia (Nuri Bilge Ceylan, 2011)
53. Moulin Rouge! (Baz Luhrmann, 2001)
52. Tropical Malady (Apichatpong Weerasethakul, 2004)
51. Inception (Christopher Nolan, 2010)
50. The Assassin (Hou Hsiao-hsien, 2015)
49. Goodbye to Language (Jean-Luc Godard, 2014)
48. Brooklyn (John Crowley, 2015)
47. Leviathan (Andrey Zvyagintsev, 2014)
46. Certified Copy (Abbas Kiarostami, 2010)
45. Blue Is the Warmest Color (Abdellatif Kechiche, 2013)
44. 12 Years a Slave (Steve McQueen, 2013)
43. Melancholia (Lars von Trier, 2011)
42. Amour (Michael Haneke, 2012)
41. Inside Out (Pete Docter, 2015)
40. Brokeback Mountain (Ang Lee, 2005)
39. The New World (Terrence Malick, 2005)
38. City of God (Fernando Meirelles and Kátia Lund, 2002)
37. Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives (Apichatpong Weerasethakul, 2010)
36. Timbuktu (Abderrahmane Sissako, 2014)
35. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (Ang Lee, 2000)
34. Son of Saul (László Nemes, 2015)
33. The Dark Knight (Christopher Nolan, 2008)
32. The Lives of Others (Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck, 2006)
31. Margaret (Kenneth Lonergan, 2011)
30. Oldboy (Park Chan-wook, 2003)
29. WALL-E (Andrew Stanton, 2008)
28. Talk to Her (Pedro Almodóvar, 2002)
27. The Social Network (David Fincher, 2010)
26. 25th Hour (Spike Lee, 2002)
25. Memento (Christopher Nolan, 2000)
24. The Master (Paul Thomas Anderson, 2012)
23. Caché (Michael Haneke, 2005)
22. Lost in Translation (Sofia Coppola, 2003)
21. The Grand Budapest Hotel (Wes Anderson, 2014)
20. Synecdoche, New York (Charlie Kaufman, 2008)
19. Mad Max: Fury Road (George Miller, 2015)
18. The White Ribbon (Michael Haneke, 2009)
17. Pan's Labyrinth (Guillermo Del Toro, 2006)
16. Holy Motors (Leos Carax, 2012)
15. 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days (Cristian Mungiu, 2007)
14. The Act of Killing (Joshua Oppenheimer, 2012)
13. Children of Men (Alfonso Cuarón, 2006)
12. Zodiac (David Fincher, 2007)
11. Inside Llewyn Davis (Joel and Ethan Coen, 2013)
10. No Country for Old Men (Joel and Ethan Coen, 2007)
9. A Separation (Asghar Farhadi, 2011)
8. Yi Yi: A One and a Two (Edward Yang, 2000)
7. The Tree of Life (Terrence Malick, 2011)
6. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Michel Gondry, 2004)
5. Boyhood (Richard Linklater, 2014)
4. Spirited Away (Hayao Miyazaki, 2001)
3. There Will Be Blood (Paul Thomas Anderson, 2007)
2. In the Mood for Love (Wong Kar-wai, 2000)
1. Mulholland Drive (David Lynch, 2001)

I think theres a lot better films out there which aren't on that list

6 hours ago, Warnock said:

Anything decent on Netflix or NOW TV worth watching at the mo? It's so hit and miss trying to find stuff. Any genre!

Yes The walk, Selma, Unbroken, Wild, Theeb on Now tv and on Netflix, Good People, Best Laid plans? Trash excellent foreign film, last passenger maybe not great but i enjoyed it. White settlers. Still Life, excellent. and the stranger within. 

Just watched Room

Great film, Brie Larson and that kid Jacob Tremblay absolutely deserve the plaudits, the kid especially. Such an intensely claustrophobic atmosphere.

William H. Macy's character though? **** me what a word removed. I refuse to believe people like him exist. 

• Like 3

Watched and chuckled through Victor Frankenstein last night, not bad but by no means a must watch. A different take on the story as it revolves around the character or Igor (played by Harry Potter).

Both Daniel Radcliffe and James McAvoy did ok jobs at it (although McAvoy would occasionally slip back into his native Scotch accent mid sentence) but there were a few continuity errors (which added to the enjoyment!)

If you have nothing better to watch and fancy seeing a re-animated chimpanzee/hybrid corpse rum amok, give it a go.

Finally got around to watching The Force Awakens. 8/10 for me. The structure is basically A New Hope in a different era. 

Thoroughly enjoyable though. 

Image result for force awakens

• Like 2

On 25/08/2016 at 10:22, Designer1 said:

If you thought Mullholland Drive was a headf*ck don't go anywhere near Inland Empire :) - That one was a bit too far out even for me.

I watched Mulholland Falls one night as he had mistaken it for Mulholland Drive

I was very disappointed :P

Just watched Foxcatcher the true drama story with Carrel, Tatum and Ruffalo. 

Hard to say I enjoyed it as such as the tone was so detached and tense, very effective but found it hard to watch. Carrell's du Pont is so creepy. 

After that and recent films, Room, 71 and Eye in the Sky, I think I'm about ready for a double bill of the Expendables :blink:

• Like 1

Yesterday was a veritable smorgasbord of film watching for me.

Started off with Inside Out.  For some reason I had avoided this one because I thought it was aimed a little younger than typical Pixar fare and that I therefore wouldn't enjoy it, and I suppose it probably is aimed slightly younger from a visual perspective, but it is brilliant.  Very very clever story and a really enjoyably watch.  TBH it stands shoulder to shoulder with anything they've produced to this point. 9/10

Then a big change of pace to watch The Dreamers. The TL;DR for this would be 'French smut starring Eva Green' which is probably enough to have most of you racing off to watch it.  "Yes it does" is the answer to any questions you might have about the content.  Coming of age-ish hippy-idealism sex-romance set during the '68 Paris student riots.  It's Green's film debut and I have to say she really hits the ground running. 7/10

Hachi : A Dog's Tale.  This one is the true story of Hachikō, a Japanese Akita.  Without giving too much away, it's an extremely loyal dog to a deceased owner.  You might have heard the story before.  If you want to upset the Mrs. (or yourself) then this one's for you ! 7/10

And another true story.  Finally watched Zodiac.  Another one that for some reason passed me by first time around.  Really enjoyed this Fincher movie.  The fact it stars Jake Gyllenhaal, Mark Ruffalo and Tony Stark ... sorry Robert Downey Jr makes it all the more baffling that I hadn't seen it before.  A good honest crime thriller / drama well acted and a very satisfying film overall.  It's also over 2.5hrs long so settle in. 8.5/10

Zodiac (particularly the directors cut) is a masterpiece.

Contains some of the most genuinely disturbing scenes I can recall in any movie as well. All of the murders are in some way unsettlng but the lakeside couple is particularly grim, and then the scene with the 'roadside Samaritan' is quietly horrific.

The true story of the Zodiac is surprisingly close to the movie, and all the more terrifying.

• Like 1

Watched The Martian. Though it was fantastic. Then again I do like serious space films and i will admit to a man crush on Matt Damon. 

8.5 / 10

The tired and worn face of a man wearing a space suit, with the words "Bring Him Home" overlaid in white lettering. In smaller lettering the name "Matt Damon" and the title "The Martian

So far this weekend I've watched jungle book which they did a really good job with, it's looks brilliant, idris elba is excellent, the cynic in me still doesn't like what Disney are doing, Kidulthood Adulthood I can imagine the constant bluds and bruvs will put a lot of people off and it's exaggerated as to how bad the characters are but for some reason I like these films, Noel Clarkes done really well with them and it's a shame he's not in more, I love the soundtrack, will be watching brotherhood at some point this week, rise of the planet of the apes, first time I'd watched it since the cinema, hopefully they'll finish this series off soon cos I really enjoyed the new 2, I think they've played their hand in terms of an ape story so it'll be interesting to see where it goes, serkis and kebbell same with Elba in JB make the film

and then last night I treated the missus to a film I couldn't believe she'd never seen before...last of the mohicans...it's one of my favourite films, said to her whilst watching you can imagine they mentioned it during the sales pitch for the revenant but Mohicans is a much much better film IMO got much more to it, plus there's the music...

53 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

So far this weekend I've watched jungle book which they did a really good job with

I saw this yesterday.  A really good job there and I was constantly remembering the original.  Stonking soundtrack on this one too :)

9 hours ago, BOF said:

Yesterday was a veritable smorgasbord of film watching for me.

Started off with Inside Out.  For some reason I had avoided this one because I thought it was aimed a little younger than typical Pixar fare and that I therefore wouldn't enjoy it, and I suppose it probably is aimed slightly younger from a visual perspective, but it is brilliant.  Very very clever story and a really enjoyably watch.  TBH it stands shoulder to shoulder with anything they've produced to this point. 9/10

I thought it was a big pile of poo.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â