The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

3 hours ago, Chindie said:

Isn't Nemesis generally considered the worst Star Trek movie by quite some distance?

I've genuinely no idea what other people regard tbh. I don't see why. For me Hardy was outstanding as Shinzon and I loved the dynamic between him and Stewart. And I reiterate this was before you liked Hardy for being Hardy. He was a nobody at the time.  Sometimes films just click with me for no apparent reason. I love MIB3 for example :)

• Like 1

Bourne last night... Just what you'd expect from Bourne films... Decent action but nothing groundbreaking and still not giving away much detail of the underlying story. Left open for another of course...

Normally one to criticise the camera shooting or anything but..

Spoiler

Was it me or the fight scene at the end was very jumpy and hard to follow at times.

Spoiler

Also following the fight with the asset, where the rock were the police? The helicopter saw them both enter the tunnels, yet they had chance to run about, fight, eventually get killed and still no police turned up..(yes you could hear sirens, but the place would've been surrounded after the want and destruction caused by the car chase), yet Bourne just walked away.

Watched suicide squad, not as bad as I thought it would be, suffers from a bland plot and throw away goons and some of the editing is poor, the scene where HQ smashes the window and grabs the bag for example, it's just kind of thrown in, the character introductions at the start didn't work for me or the scene in the restaurant where she explains who some of them are, the various flashbacks later on do work though, some of the music doesn't work either, it's a bit all over the place...but at times it's still pretty fun, will smith just about drags it through

The Mission (1986)

A really good film which i enjoyed watching .Robert  De Nero and Jeremy Irons were good. The visuals of the Iguassu Falls and the musical score by Morricone were excellent 8/10 for me

Went to see Suicide Squad yesterday.

Er...

Suicide Squad is a fairly well established comic that saw various villians in the DC universe team up to act for the US government on, surprise surprise, suicide missions, with the threat of a bomb implanted in the neck keeping them in check. Over the years dozens of characters have been in the team and it's been a fairly popular title, having survived DC's need to reboot the comics every few years to always come back in some new form. There are a few members that are regulars, like Deadshot, but otherwise the team's make up is fairly flexible.

So it's no surprise that Warner Bros, desperate to get a DC Cinematic Universe on the go, turned to Suicide Squad as an option. After all, it's an excuse to do a team up movie without needing to do much legwork, and the nature of the beast immediately makes them able to ape Marvel's idea of differentiating the movies post Avengers to borrow elements of other genres to mix the movies up a bit. To do this they turned to David Ayer, a rising star of the action movie director fold, who has had some hits (Fury, End of Watch) and a miss (Sabotage) and who has proven calibre as a writer with Training Day.

Production had numerous rumours circle around it, especially post BvS. That film didn't do what Warner Bros hoped it would. Far from a commercial flop, it did however underperform with Warner apparently expecting Avengers money, and critically it was mauled, with reason - it's a flawed film at it's best, and at it's worst just plain bad, with absolutely no sense of fun, the entire thing being this weighty miserable behemoth with curious takes on it's starring characters. The resounding critical message seemed to be underlined - there is no fun in this movie. Rumours circulated that Warner began to pressure Ayer to inject Suicide Squad with some levity, to take some of Marvel's formula and try to make this DC's Guardians - an unlikely band nobody has heard of coming together, with gags and a sense of fun. The first 'real' trailer was released (there was a Comic Con trailer that leaked Warner seemingly begrudgingly released previously) and had a mad cap energy and lightness to it, the music was designed to imbue a sense of attitude and the clips all designed to raise a giggle. If a trailer could have an expression, this was a cheeky smirk. That was followed by another that doubled down on that feeling with action set to pacey iconic tunes and again the whole thing built around gags. And both trailers looked good.

Which in itself was a surprise as early production revealed the cast and character design which gave many pause - Jared Leto was hired to play the Joker, one of the more famed villains of any fictional property, and then we saw what this world's Joker looked like, a stupid tattooed neon haired gangsta wannabe with silver teeth. Margot Robbie was hired to play Harley Quinn, the Joker's abused sometime love interest, and everything seemed fine, she could easily get the look expected of Harley. And then we saw her dressed like a pin up from the 'suicide girl' subset, or a particularly dirty stripper. Will Smith was brought onboard to seemingly add star power, but concerns were raised about a squeeky clean Hollywood star playing a character who for all intents and purposes is a remorseless hitman, the worry being that the character would be changed to accomodate Smith's ego of not playing an out and out villain. And then hired Jai Courtney and everyone winced, because Jai Courtney. Rumours came about of Ben Affleck on set, leading to the belief that he would at least cameo, later confirmed with a shot of Batman filmed on top of an extravagant purple sports car. Tom Hardy was to play the teams straight man, commander and gernally disciplinarian Rick Flagg, but pulled out due to scheduling conflict and was replaced by Joel Kinnaman. Who isn't a Tom Hardy, unfortunately, but he's not a Jai Courtney either.

With all that in mind, how bad could the film really be? Even with the cast concerns? This version of the squad was largely taking Batman's rogues gallery, one of the best in comics full stop, to fill out the team, Ayer's a competent director, and knocking out an action story about a suicide mission that brings in all these characters with decades of established characterisation and a world to pinch ideas from shouldn't be that hard, right?

Ahem...

Suicide Squad opens with introductions to our main players. Incarcerated in a top secret facility, Deadshot (Will Smith), a hitman and excellent marksman with any firearm, Harley Quinn, a fomer psychiatrist assigned to, and ultimately falling in love with, the Joker, and going mad in the process, El Diablo, an LA gang leader with the ability to control fire, Killer Croc, a thug with a genetic condition that has reverted him to more animal than man and Digger Harkness, aka Boomerang, an Aussie bank robber who is a walking stereotype. Amanda Waller, a ruthless government official, has plans to utilise them and other metahuman criminals to combat supernatural threats, convinces the US government to agree when she uses Enchantress, an entity that has attached itself to Cara Delavingne's June Moone and under Wallers control, to demonstrate the power these gifted people might have. Of course everything goes wrong and the Squad is put to work...

Suicide Squad has problems, but lets approach the good first. The cast is mostly good across the board. Will Smith isn't playing the Deadshot of the comics, and yes they did neuter him with a backstory of not being a truly bad man, but it works pretty well and Smith does good work with it. Robbie isn't playing a particularly good version of Harley Quinn but with what she has she does well (I'd have liked to have seen her try a more traditional version of the role as I think she might have been perfect, voice aside), Jay Hernandez is convincing as a conflicted monster, Croc and (shockingly) Boomerang are good with little to work with (I'd actually welcome seeing either having expanded roles in, say, an upcoming Batman movie... Never thought I'd say that about Jai Courtney). Viola Davis is an excellent exaggerated bastard version of Amanda Waller and probably deserves a better movie than this, Cara Delavingne has a thankless task as Enchantress but she's decent enough, Kinnaman plays a straight man well and the wider supporting cast is pretty good. Leto however... Good grief. Awful. I think it's mostly the type of Joker they wanted to do that's hamstrung him, but he's terrible. Terrible in such a way I hope they retcon this character or never use him again. His Joker is a poser, the kind of idiot who would tattoo 'damaged' on his forehead. He comes across as petulant, a pouting kid who is playing up to the character as a random and crazy gangbanger. He isn't at all threatening. He isn't funny. He looks absurd. The entire character is surface, and the surface is flat and lifeless and empty. Dreadful.

Back to the good. It does have a handful of funny moments, heavily weighted to the opening and Ike Barinholtz's scumbag prison officer (his line as his team tries to round up the Squad before their mission as one of his men is attacked by Croc is possibly the best line in the movie and sums up it's humour). I do mean a handful though, all of them one liners, and some of them are barely above a smirk. There are other moments it thinks are funny but they either aren't, don't play to UK audiences, or aren't editted well enough for the comedy to work.

Some of the action is good and well shot.

The introductions to the characters and their backstories are surprisingly well done, cleverly giving us 2 minute origin stories that give us the MO of each, their background, and why they are where they are. Deadshot gets about 3 of these, Harley has a number of flashbacks that develop her and Joker, Boomerang gets a fun one. They're all very good, Enchantresses the weakest perhaps and Deadshot's capture a little flat but still good, and tie each of them to the world Warner is making. These might be the highlight of the whole thing.

And that's about it.

The bad? The whole movie is edited dreadfully. It has no grace at all, and snaps it's audiences around the film all over the place. It feels very rushed, both in the standard of edit we get and the effect that has on the story. Very little has time to breathe, things come out of nowhere.

You could spit through the plot. I'm not expecting Suicide Squad, or many comic book movies, to give me nuance and layers, but we need more than this. Villain threatens world with bad thing because bad. Stop villain. Every plot boils down to this, but some do more with it to put things on that frame work, and obscure it. Not Suicide Squad. Curiously though it looks like they were going to do more. Waller's portrayal is absolutely a hint of something more that never extends beyond 'who really is the baddie, huh?!', an undercooked subplot with El Diablo does have a pay off but it's completely underdone (I am not kidding when I say El Diablo's entire subplot is established, played out and concluded in under 10 shots), it's clearly trying to do something with Harley and the Joker and spends a fair chunk of time on it but this Joker is so bad, and the entire thing so pointless, that nobody cares. Deadshot has his own plotline but thats such a stereotype you know where it ends before they've finished saying the word 'Daughter'. The main plot is so hopeless you actually don't need to follow it, because there's nothing to follow. Even the villain's big threat isn't exactly important and they don't establish what it even is outside of 1 line with absolutely no elaboration at all. And whole characters appear for little point. A character is in their entirely to demonstrate 'a Thing'. Katana appears because... er... they needed another female character? They couldn't think of a better way to right around 'That' problem? She doesn't actually add anything otherwise, and she's barely in it.

The soundtrack. One of the most cynical things I can recall in movies recently. Remember one of the things people came away from Guardians of the Galaxy was saying how great that soundtrack was? A series of seemingly incongrous 70s and 80s tunes that tie into the a plot device of a mix tape and also give a little more atmosphere to a the scenes they're added to? Warner clearly wanted to make this movie their GOTG, so they copied it. Now Guardians didn't come up with the idea itself, Tarantino has done it for years (albeit slightly differently), but Suicide Squad does it with the subtlety of a brick to the temple. Bizarre choices of various artists play completely incongruously over the top of scenes, in a couple of cases actually out of balance with dialogue so you can't quite hear clearly what is said. This is a movie that out of nowhere plays a good minute of Eminem's Without Me (really?!) over a scene without either having anything to do with the other or either adding anything to the other. It feels like someone had a really bad playlist on in the editing suite and accidentally hit record.

I can't recall a film with a more obvious formula either. Once the mission starts proper the entire thing is a series of action scenes which are mostly well shot and sometimes interesting visually, but usually competent at worst, broke up with sections of throwaway lines and minor plot exposition. Again every action movie does this but this has a literal plodding progression of 'fight identikit baddies for 3 minutes, Deadshot has cool moment, Harley makes a gag, plot exposition, fight identikit baddies, Harley has cool moment, Boomerang is the gag, plot exposition, fight...'. It does nothing to obscure this and the moment you cotton on you can predict the next 5 minutes of movie.

And it's curiously ugly. The character design doesn't help - that Joker is an affront to the eyes, and Harley is the wrong side of slutty for me. Theres been versions of Harley where she is more sexed up, and that's alright, but this... it feels like it's too close to exploitative almost. I'm no prude and Margot Robbie is stunning in anyone's books, but her character design is almost an invitation to leer and makes things feel... ugly. But even that aside the entire movie is set in brown and grey and black and dark rotten greens with flashes of neon and it's just not pleasant to look at. You can make horrible environments have interest, so even something that is meant to be unpleasant can excite the eyes. This just makes you feel depressed. The opening shot is a sodden metal gate with torrential rain, and a khaki tinge to shot, and the movie continues in that vein for 2 hours.

This isn't a good movie. In light of the talk that came out, reshoots to make it funnier coming from Warner's top brass, script written in 6 weeks, I think can be seen on the screen. And it's all the more annoying because theres kernels of a better movie than this in there, but they're 3 re-writes and edits away, and a complete ripping up and ritual burning of every single second that Joker is on screen.

TL;DR - A disappointment, do not go see this movie, or if you do, set expectations to Michael Bay and you might surprise yourself.

• Like 2

On August 6, 2016 at 16:29, tonyh29 said:

:o

All about opinions of course but candidate for worse film I've seen this year 

i'm surprised you'd pay to watch such puerile american trash :D

5 minutes ago, maqroll said:

i'm surprised you'd pay to watch such puerile american trash :D

I go on Meerkat Tuesday with my mate where it's one ticket free ... I go on the free ticket  and get around allegations of funding American trash :) 

• Like 1

Man from UNCLE

The_Man_from_U.N.C.L.E._poster.jpg

Enjoyable romp. Stylish. Not memorable in the slightest but worth watching. 

6.6666/10

WB(J)*

*just

Â