The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Finally got around to watching Memento.  Yeah I know, there are some serious films on my 'to do' list.  I probably should have watched this one sooner though, because I don't think it has aged particularly well.  Or rather the re-ordered/obfuscated timeline is probably a more common trick nowadays, meaning Memento has lost its uniqueness.  It was enjoyable enough though, and was in no way difficult to follow, unlike what I had been hearing about it beforehand.  7.5/10 WB

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Finally got around to watching Memento.  Yeah I know, there are some serious films on my 'to do' list.  I probably should have watched this one sooner though, because I don't think it has aged particularly well.  Or rather the re-ordered/obfuscated timeline is probably a more common trick nowadays, meaning Memento has lost its uniqueness.  It was enjoyable enough though, and was in no way difficult to follow, unlike what I had been hearing about it beforehand.  7.5/10 WB

Nolans best film for me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

its ridiculously being remade

What? No way! 

Is it being remade with fat unfunny women?

/lad bantz

• Like 1

My expectations aren't high so I'm not surprised. I thought it might at least be fun and Ayer is a decent director, especially for action, but apparently it's rather dull. And has dreadful dialogue.

Seeing it at the weekend either way.

Speakiing of the DCCU, watching the BvSDOJ Ultimate Edition tonight. I've not seen the film since it's cinema release so interested to see if it improves on a second viewing and if the extra bits do it any favours...

...It improves it with some short extra scenes and extra moments that flesh out some of the earlier moments and fix some of the gaping plotholes in the early going.

But fundamentally it still is a movie that features Batman brutally smashing a sink on Superman's head, and only stops when he  

Spoiler

realises his mom has the same name as Superman's adopted mother.

Fundamentally daft.

Made all the worse by having tantalising elements of a really good comic book faithful take on things, but falling well short.

Have they fixed the editing? 

Or made superman in any way shape or form something other than dire as ****?

or changed the stupid ending?

or probably most importantly removed lex Luther from it?

Edited by villa4europe

It's less choppily edited. You can tell in the theatrical release they ripped scenes out and trimmed it with a hatchet. I still don't think it's earth shattering but it's better.

Superman and Clark get fleshed out a little. He's still too miserable but there's more character there and Clark actually does something.

Ending is basically as is.

And sadly Lex is present and correct :). I'm fairly sure there a little more added to his plotline but you kinda got what he was about anyway so it makes no difference.

The film doesn't fundamentally change but they improve what they had already a little.

13 hours ago, Meath_Villan said:

the new independence day

Some things don't need to be experienced in order to know you won't like them.  Setting fire to your balls, for example.  Or watching the new Independence Day.  Maybe you should hire someone to choose your films for you ;)

Some stuff has come out about Suicide Squad's production in the light of the fairly shitty reviews.

There was a lot of talk a while back that it had extensive reshoots in the wake of BvS being trashed, to make it funnier, which were then dismissed.

Turns out it might actually be true. Some Warner Bros head honchos got cold feet when BvS was underperforming and asked a third party to re-cut the movie as a funnier piece and test screened it with the original cut before pushing to a hybrid cut apparently. If that's the case it isn't a surprise it's a mess.

And secondly it appears Ayer absolutely smashed the script out. He did it in 6 weeks. That's nothing for a movie script. Avengers Infinity War (and whatever they call it's sequel) have been in writing for a year or so and still aren't finished.

It seems Ayer has filmed a barely done first draft and then had the studio tinker, so we've got a mess.

I've no idea how Warner Bros have struggled so badly to get good movies out of their DC proprieties. DC has a lot of shit characters, but it's core group vary from the best of the genre to decent, and they have a pretty good rogues gallery to go with them. Certainly Batman is a proven cinematic property and his villains are some of the best. And Superman is the genre definer. And they have dozens of stories to crib ideas from that are some of the best in comics. It shouldn't be difficult to put out something decent. And yet Man of Steel wasn't a home run (I don't mind it but it's not incredible), BvS is a mess that misunderstands and underuses it's headline characters, and now Suicide Squad appears to be a boring mess as well. 

Any bets on Justice League turning the theme around?

It appears the best thing about it is Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn. Who appears to be playing a character nothing like Harley Quinn actually is. But never mind she's dressed like a stripper for most of it so you can probably gloss over the poor take on the character, and accept that whatever she's doing is apparently good.

• Like 1

Watched The Wolfpack last night - very interesting documentary about a family raised in New York but in almost complete isolation and reliant on movies to learn how to create and play.

It was pretty decent however I got the feeling there was more 'to it' (especially where the father was concerned) than what was explored by the documentary makers.  

It would be interesting to see what they're doing now.

Edited by theboyangel
  • Like 1

large_large_wT6DgWvfFluFdCRJXKUfSJBDjrI.

Excellent unnerving psychological thriller. Avoids many of the usual tropes and cliches and is consistently engaging throughout.

Recommended :thumb:

Edited by Designer1

I won't pull a 'chindie' and do a review of Jason Bourne but to me it felt like an episode of spooks but other than that...It was still a Bourne film and I really enjoyed it. The chase scene in Vegas went on a bit too long however. 

Vikander was a 5/7 WB.

Â