The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

30 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

It's easy to be a critic , I'll await Jim Emerson's first $1 bn film and look to dissect that  .... still at least it's not as bad as the "internet expert "  who ripped the Matrix apart because they used the manual for a  B-212  helicopter when Trinity clearly was flying the B-260

I trust this approach will form your new mantra for the forum ;)

It may be easy to criticise, and the movie may be a very successful one... But his points are very valid. It's bad filmmaking.

Edited by Chindie
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Watched it for about the 20th time yesterday. So enjoyable.

I've probably seen it 3 times since I first saw it in the cinema, why is it so watchable?

Edited by AVFCDAN

26 minutes ago, Chindie said:

It may be easy to criticise, and the movie may be a very successful one... But his points are very valid. It's bad filmmaking.

Indeed.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with digging a little deeper into the technical aspects of a movie, it's something I tend to do upon watching something multiple times.

Some things (good and bad) aren't always obvious upon first viewing.

12 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

I've probably seen it 3 times since I first saw it in the cinema, why is it so watchable?

It just hits all the right spots for me. It's easy to watch, it's entertaining and it's well shot. These make it easy to watch it many times.

49 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Indeed.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with digging a little deeper into the technical aspects of a movie, it's something I tend to do upon watching something multiple times.

11mszk.jpg

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

I trust this approach will form your new mantra for the forum ;)

When Corbyn is running the country I'll be more than happy to tell him how it should be done  ..oh wait :)

I love Trainspotting, Its probably one of the films I've seen most. More than ten times at least.

i remember watching it at New Street Odeon, having got in with my fake ID. I was blown away!

2 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Indeed.

I agree

i feel sorry for people who can't switch that off when watching films for the first time though, got no real problem with people dissecting stuff, especially stuff that is in the best ever conversation

cant think of many films I've even considered the technical guff while watching it, even fewer that I've considered it poor because of it, BvS being an exception

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I agree

i feel sorry for people who can't switch that off when watching films for the first time though, got no real problem with people dissecting stuff, especially stuff that is in the best ever conversation

cant think of many films I've even considered the technical guff while watching it, even fewer that I've considered it poor because of it, BvS being an exception

Yeah, the same goes for things like symbolism too. I'm not sharp enough to notice certain elements the first time I watch something (unless they're absolutely glaring and on the nose), but one of the delights for me in watching a truly great movie is garnering new details (however slight) after a couple of viewings.

Kong Skull Island looks kinda interesting even if it is the 980th variation of a Kong movie 

the trailer is available online for people to criticise  the inconsistencies in the way the wind is blowing the fur on Kong and flaws in the lighting etc ... :)

Edited by tonyh29
Added smiley in case it wasn't already obvious
  • Like 1

They've scaled Kong up in that to set up him as a viable opponent fit the new Godzilla in a later movie.

So if you go see it you'll be responsible for another big budget blockbuster suffocating good movies in Hollywood. Movies that know how to shoot their scenes, and don't have big blockbuster endings with waves of identikit cannonfodder enemies and heroes that go all invincible at the end.

;)

• Like 2

I'm not too sure about that becomes invincible thing incidentally. I'm thinking through the movies chalky being referenced and I'm not sure I can think of an incongruously invincible moment of anyone in them...

17 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Stir of Echoes just starting on horror channel +1.

Proper underrated gem!

Decent story but **** me it's shot like a made for TV movie with zero directional flair. Really detracts from it. 

3 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Decent story but **** me it's shot like a made for TV movie with zero directional flair. Really detracts from it. 

Yeah? Well where's your Kevin Bacon horror movie from 1999 D1, eh? It's easy to criticise...

;)

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Yeah? Well where's your Kevin Bacon horror movie from 1999 D1, eh? It's easy to criticise...

;)

give him a chance he hasn't finished analyising the dance routines in Footloose yet

• Like 2

Â