The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Wonder Woman looked better than I thought it might but there's inherent problems with that character they can't escape really which are going to hamstring it. The action looks alright once you get away from the fact it's Wonder Woman in WW1. It looks the wrong side of silly. I'm also still unsure that Gadot is actually a good actress... But it should look worse than that.

Justice League... It's Snyder with lighthearted Avengers knock off humour! Who'da thunk it?! On the one hand Snyder always has decent trailers and there's things in there that look great. He has a brilliant eye for an image, so that shot of Aquaman being engulfed by the waves is awesome for instance. But then... The Flash looks bad, Cyborg is dreadful (inherently - DC likes the character for some reason but nobody else gives a shit), the Flash scene is meant to be funny but isn't, and somehow they've managed to take the surprisingly good Batman suit from BvS, add a dash of blue, and make it look shite somehow.

• Like 1

That's my interest gone.

Really pumped for Doctor Strange, strangely it has nothing to do with McAdams appearance in it (would have made an excellent Captain Marvel imo)

Still waiting to see the slightest proof Gadot can act, don't get me wrong I'd tongue punch her bum all night but her acting is very poor. They could have picked any decent actress and spent less than an hour in make up to get the look.

• Like 1

The Marvel SDCC then.

Theres a new Marvel Studios logo and fanfare - basically ditching the comic book page flickers and replacing that with clips of the movies

Black Panther principal cast was confirmed. Michael B Jordan will play the villain, Erik Killmonger (now theres a comic book villain name). Killmonger is one of the more traditional Black Panther villains, his background usually being a Wakandan subject who was exiled by the Black Panther for his families involvement with an invasion attempt on the country. Lupita N'Yongo will play Nakia, and Dania Gurira will be Okoye, both members of the Black Panther's personal bodyguard order.

Next, Thor: Ragnarok. They opened with a sketch they've filmed showing off Taika Waititi's comic sensibilities which apparently was very funny, showing what Thor got upto during Civil War - basically revolving around him being a really annoying room mate. The film is only just starting filming so little was actually shown, but apparently a lot of concept art was shown which confirmed we finally will see classic Thor villain Surtur (an enormous fiery demon), that Thor and the Hulk will battle in a Planet Hulk style arena, lots of classic Ragnarok imagery and Cate Blanchett as Hela looking incredible - given how utterly daft that character looks on the page, thats saying something. They have some of the gladiator armour on display at the show. I've never quite got why the Hulk needed in Planet Hulk, but I've never been a Hulk comic reader so perhaps it's explained there. Oh and there was a new, so 80s it hurts (and in my view in a bad way) logo...

Thor-Ragnarok-Movie-New-Logo1.jpg

Next, Dr Strange. A clip was shown of Strange's first meeting with the Ancient One, which seemed to mostly fill in some of the 'philosophy' of the movie, that Strange is having his eyes opened to the entirety of reality whilst he has only seem some of it. He's shown a variety of things, texts on chakras and the soul, an MRI, and the Ancient One explains that none show all of the soul but together they be used to teach the soul to heal the body, Strange is incredulous at this and we end with the scene from the initial teaser where the Ancient One shoves Strange into the astral plane. We also got the cast on the stage with Mikkelson talking about his villain, again talking about how this isn't necessarily just usual evil villain and is actually just someone who sees the world differently to Strange and his comrades. And then the really good new trailer. I like a lot of the imagery in the trailer (even if it's a bit Inception-y) and I like that Strange's abilities are very close to what we see in the comics, but I'd really like to see them do some callback to the really trippy stuff from the original 60s comics, even if only a brief nod perhaps with Strange projecting himself through various dimensions. But for now, that's looking far better than you'd ever expect it to, and very different to Marvel's usual fare.

They then moved on to Spider-Man: Homecoming. Some footage was shown which has been described as a John Hughes style high school movie that happened to feature Spider-Man, they also had a set up piece which apparently showed a variety of the stars of the MCU in various appropriate year book shots - so Caps was from the 40s etc. They ended with some concept art which confirmed the villain will be the Vulture. Keaton was rumoured to be taking that part, which would fit... it's a shame that the Vulture isn't a great Spidey villain and is always a little silly, but we'll see.

Next they had a bit of a blow out on Guardians 2. Some casting was confirmed (the achingly stunning Elizabeth Debicki is playing Ayesha as expected, and Kurt Russell is playing Ego, basically a living planet) and some details of the plot were confirmed, some quite spoiler-y, and that the movie apparently revolving around the Guardians trying to capture an interdimensional being. Some footage was shown with Rocket and Yondu being imprisoned and trying to use a still growing Groot, who is implied to be like a toddler with a toddler's mind at this point, to help them escape. This eventually leads to Yondu looking a lot more like his comic book self. There was also a clip showing off some of the film's trademark humour with a back and forth between Quill and Rocket.

Finally, they brought out Brie Larson to confirm as rumoured she is going to be Captain Marvel. Whilst I don't like that choice, it's the kind of choice Marvel makes so understandable. I think Larson is a decent actress and it's not like she needs to serve up Oscar winning stuff in the film but I look at her and I don't see Carol Danvers at all, and I'm also a little unsure of her in the kind of role that should be. I'm not the characters biggest fan (too generic really but Marvel could do with a powerful female character and she's the easy choice) but she can be an important one and that movie may be the final piece of the jigsaw before Infinity War closes out. I'd hoped for someone like Rebecca Ferguson to get the role but she's not really what Marvel want unfortunately. Hopefully Larson can prove me wrong, Marvel rarely make bad casting choices so fingers crossed. Captain Marvel also marks the end of their starring characters casting, which is a slightly odd feeling. The whole thing is now in place, the main players on the protagonists side are present and correct in the MCU, and we know who and what is coming more or less.

• Like 2

On 22/07/2016 at 14:58, tonyh29 said:

(  though I'm still fuming at how they fly a spaceship into the mother ship and upload a virus using a Mac Powerbook :rant:)

They literally explain that earlier in the film.  They used the Roswell spaceship's software to test against, so they'd know how to infiltrate the mothership's systems.  Now whether you're happy with that explanation is another thing, but it at least tells you it wasn't a completely dry run / shot in the dark when they try it.

Thoroughly enjoyable.

I do prefer it when they play it serious though and not try and force a bit of comedy/buddy humour in there, which was painful at times. I'd rather it was played with a straight bat all the way through

Mission_Impossible_Rogue_Nation_poster.j

• Like 1

Â