The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I loved The Tree of Life but it is flawed and the final act in particular isn't great. I haven't bothered with Malick's recent films, but I did watch The New World recently and that really is a magnificent film. The Thin Red Line is still my favourite of his works but he also has Days of Heaven and Badlands to his name. Not bad at all.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner
  • Like 1

F**ksticks - we only manage to get to the cinema maybe 2-3 times a year (kids, no family living nearby etc etc) and tonight was the night!

We decided to watch Captain America, although its been out for a while, as we've enjoyed the other Marvel Universe films.

Anyhow - it gets to the bit at the airport, Spidey makes his grand entrance and................

the lights go out!!!! Bloody power cut and cinema shut for the night....:crylaugh:

I'll have to wait for the DVD now as it won't be on the cinema by the time we get chance to go again!!!

12 hours ago, theboyangel said:

F**ksticks - we only manage to get to the cinema maybe 2-3 times a year (kids, no family living nearby etc etc) and tonight was the night!

We decided to watch Captain America, although its been out for a while, as we've enjoyed the other Marvel Universe films.

Anyhow - it gets to the bit at the airport, Spidey makes his grand entrance and................

the lights go out!!!! Bloody power cut and cinema shut for the night....:crylaugh:

I'll have to wait for the DVD now as it won't be on the cinema by the time we get chance to go again!!!

Man are you having a bad run of it with telly and cinema lately.  If I was Noel Edmonds I'd say it's down to your negative attitude :P 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, darrenm said:

The Big Short. Great performances all round. Great story. Excellent.

Watched The Big Short the other night - thought it was very good indeed.

On a similar theme but surrounding the eviction process from the fall-out of the crash, I've just watched 99 Homes.

Very good also!

99-Homes_poster_goldposter_com_2.jpg

Edited by theboyangel
  • Like 1

Watched Under the Skin a few nights ago - a low budget film set in Glasgow starring Sacrlett Johanssen. It is absolutely crackers and unlike anything I have ever watched before. Its odd but I wasnt sure if I liked it while I was watching it but its the kind of film that lingers with you and makes you think about in the days afterwards.

Be interested if anyone else had seen it and what they thought of it

I thought it was 'triffic, really slow burning, brooding atmosphere, and I found the final scene to be quite harrowing.

Bonus points for 100% nude Scarlett.

The novel has more info in regards to the characters motiivations, and answers some questions that aren't explicitally answered in the film, if you're curious about it. I liked the film more for the mystery though, and not really knowing what she/it is, or why she is doing the what she's doing.

On 08/06/2016 at 21:41, Ginko said:

Watched The Nice Guys tonight.

I really enjoyed it. It's a bit silly but it's very fun and there's a fair few laugh out loud moments. Crowe and Gosling had good chemistry and the latter stole the show, he was hilarious. I love 1970s America as a period too.

8/10 would happily watch again.

I'm hearing very good things about this movie.  I think I'll have to check it out :) 

5 hours ago, hogso said:

I thought it was 'triffic, really slow burning, brooding atmosphere, and I found the final scene to be quite harrowing.

Bonus points for 100% nude Scarlett.

The novel has more info in regards to the characters motiivations, and answers some questions that aren't explicitally answered in the film, if you're curious about it. I liked the film more for the mystery though, and not really knowing what she/it is, or why she is doing the what she's doing.

There was certainly more unanswered questions than answered. Mainly, would I be willing to go for a swim in a big pool of sinister black sludge for a go on Miss Johanssen? 

But the scene on the beach was disturbing as all hell like Chindie said. And I think that because some of the people throughout the movie werent actors it felt so real.

Like I say I found it kinda hard to watch but have been pondering on it since

compl.jpg_09072013

I found this a very interesting film. It's based on a series of true life events but without giving any spoilers away it's very much in the 'truth (or very near to it) is stranger than fiction' envelope and does ask some intriguing moralistic and behavioural questions.

The performances are excellent and really help to sell the story, particularly Dream Walker and Ann Dowd.

If you do fancy giving it a watch I would recommend not reading anything about the actual events until after you've seen the film.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Designer1 said:

compl.jpg_09072013

I found this a very interesting film. It's based on a series of true life events but without giving any spoilers away it's very much in the 'truth (or very near to it) is stranger than fiction' envelope and does ask some intriguing moralistic and behavioural questions.

The performances are excellent and really help to sell the story, particularly Dream Walker and Ann Dowd.

If you do fancy giving it a watch I would recommend not reading anything about the actual events until after you've seen the film.

Agreed, it's worth a watch. 

The Scarlet Claw  (1944)

As a avid Sherlock Holmes fan, i thought i had seen every Holmes film there is to see,but how wrong i was.This one staring Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce is obviously rather dated and not great quality but certainly worth a look if your into these films 7/10 for me

Raiders of the Lost Ark. In terms of pure enjoyment, it must be the perfect film, IMO. So silly and obvious on many levels, but so effective and really fun to watch. It's like a study in the Adventure genre.

Watched Black Mass last night and whilst it had a great cast including Johnny Depp, Joel Edgerton, Bendedict Cumberband and derived from great source material, I was left a little underwhelmed by the whole thing.

It had good bits, including the performances but my thoughts are this was an opportunity missed.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â