The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Watched Race - starring Jesse Owens as the main running character.

The film was shot with so many cameras.  Which is lucky really, because otherwise we wouldn't have been able to watch the film.  It's quite amazing how there is always a camera around when he says something because we can hear it really well.

Anyway! OHIO, BERLIN, NEW YORK - what is the first thing that comes to your head when you say those immortal words? Noooo, not Pelican, you plank. But RUNNING is the obvious and correct answer. 

This film is full of it! Running here, running there.. Running all over the shop!

At one point there is like 8 men running around, it's mental. WHOOSH! past the camera, WHIZZ past the camera.  Lots of running into and around the camera.

In the end of it, and seriously now, I think Hitler wasn't good and I am glad he shot himself in the head - although another part of me thinks that as a white guy, with blonde hair and blue eyes, maybe it wouldn't have been that bad.  But I joke about that - a lot (this too was a joke).

WHAT ABOUT THE BIT WITH HIS WIFE?!?! hahaha - classic Jesse Owen's wife humour.

I bet after making this film, Jesse Owens is really tired, and I for one hope that he has a nice long rest to put his feet up and watch Bottom on the tele.

Overall - I am proud and happy to award this brilliant film a LAPAL_FAN SEAL OF APPROVAL RATING OF 9.5/10!!!!!

*crowd go wild*

Lots of love, your pal,

Lapal_fan - aged 29 XoXoX

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

Rosemary's Baby, WTF... How is that film even remotely scary? I'm not even sure why it's considered a good film, it's terrible. I'm guessing it's one of those films which was good at its time in 1968.

giphy.gif

:D

Seriously though. It's a **** masterpiece.

The Apartment Trilogy are all very good movies, but RB is the standout amongst three very strong films. The direction, acting (particularly from Farrow who is astonishing) is all absolutely top notch and it has that wonderfully unsettling vibe (the little touches of off-beat humour are great) which just grows and grows until the brilliant finale.

A bona-fide classic in mine and indeed many others opinion.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 2

Watched The Program, the dramatisation about Lance Armstrong's doping.

Pretty good and entertaining - certainly didn't paint Armstrong in any favourable light and well portrayed by Ben Foster (under a shed load of prosthetics!)

Would recommend, even if you're not a fan of bicycling

48 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

giphy.gif

:D

Seriously though. It's a **** masterpiece.

The Apartment Trilogy are all very good movies, but RB is the standout amongst three very strong films. The direction, acting (particularly from Farrow who is astonishing) is all absolutely top notch and it has that wonderfully unsettling vibe (the little touches of off-beat humour are great) which just grows and grows until the brilliant finale.

A bona-fide classic in mine and indeed many others opinion.

Ha! Is it a case of that you think it's so good because it was original for it's time? Or do you think it still holds up to "modern" films now?

I get the distinct impression if that film was made now the exact same and released in 2016 no one would care for it.

It's a bit like listening to The Beatles :D 

Edited by PieFacE

5 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Ha! Is it a case of that you think it's so good because it was original for it's time? Or do you think it still holds up to "modern" films now?

I get the distinct impression if that film was made now, the exact same and released in 2016 no one would care for it.

It's a bit like listening to The Beatles :D 

I watched it again at the back end of last year, I tend to watch the whole Apartment trilogy over a couple of days from time to time.

I don't think any of it's original power has diminished tbh. In fact iirc it's original reviews on release were good, but it's only over the years that it's been re-evaluated and elevated to classic status.

I think it's bloody brilliant tbh and the 'this is no dream! this is really happening!' line is one of my favourites of all time.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Pretty good and entertaining - certainly didn't paint Armstrong in any favourable light and well portrayed by Ben Foster (under a shed load of prosthetics!)

Watched it on the plane this weekend. I thought it was a pretty good basic tour through the material, they had a lot to cram in. 

I never really felt like it showed the extremes of Armstrong's character though . . . it touched on his ability, but you didn't actually see the raw power he generated, the way he lit up races, and on the contrary I felt they soft-pedalled the bullying/omerta stuff a bit, but overall a solid effort. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PieFacE said:

So this weekend I had the misfortune of watching Pitch Perfect 2 and Rosemary's Baby...

So, Pitch Perfect 2 was exactly what you thought it would be. Horrible and unfunny. Do not watch.

Loved Pitch Perfect & Pitch Perfect 2.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

Following on from the casting news on Thor 3 last week some rumours have come out regarding the films plot. They're smashing elements of Planet Hulk into it. This is a stupid idea. Thor will also be rocking a skinhead for some reason. And Valkyrie will be given a more native American look with warpaint as opposed to her usual look (given that they've cast a black woman to play her I don't think anyone was expecting the usual pale buxom blonde so hardly a shock).

Also the villain for Guardians 2 has been revealed rumours suggest. The villain is only interesting, however, for their importance to other Marvel cosmic storylines and characters, and more importantly because it's very likely the stunning Elizabeth Debicki is playing her.

Spoiler

She'll probably be playing Kismet, aka Ayesha/Her. She is a female clone of Adam Warlock, who originally had one of the Infinity Gems Thanos is after and is very important to the Infinity Gauntlet saga. He's already had reference to him in the movies so far, and is probably a decent bet for whoever Kurt Russell is playing and, also, Starlord's dad. Kismet is a pretty dull character on the other hand.

On 27 May 2016 at 05:07, kurtsimonw said:

I think one of the weirdest experiences in my life was watching a film in the US. People actually cheering on the heroes, talking shit to the villains, clapping and shouting. It's so unusual. 

I actually was working in Chicago 12 years back and went to watch fahrenheit 911 at the cinema.  At the end people were up roaring and clapping and some crying.  Very strange experience.  Never went back to the cinema in the US

10 hours ago, theboyangel said:

enjoyed it but watched documentary last week by I think Australian TV and its very similar but slightly more cutting in his character. Interviews with the Andreu makes him seem like an even bigger dick

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

enjoyed it but watched documentary last week by I think Australian TV and its very similar but slightly more cutting in his character. Interviews with the Andreu makes him seem like an even bigger dick

Can you remember the name of the documentary? I would be interested. 

I've thought about The Program more since, and I'm not surprised the story worked better as a documentary. I think they just tried to fit everything in, but the story was too massive for a feature. The Andreu's (who are fairly central to the story) were in two, maybe three scenes. Even David Walsh, nominally the 'hero' was on screen for no more than fifteen minutes. The filmmakers were very faithful to Seven Deadly Sins, which is to their credit, but trying to tell every story was always a big ask in a feature. They still didn't find time for Travis Tygart, for example. 

I think there's a better film to be made, one that more obliquely addresses the era, and I think it would be about Floyd Landis. You'd have a more interesting protagonist from a genuinely unusual background, you'd have a more varied racing arc which would be much less repetitive in the middle, you'd have villainy and redemption, and best of all, you'd see Armstrong obliquely, from an angle at the side of the narrative, which would allow a more interesting side-on look than plonking him front and center which very much demystifies the whole story. I suppose I'm thinking of The Assassination of Jesse James by the . . . on two wheels basically, but I think it would work. And Stages 16 and 17 of the 2006 Tour are probably the most naturally 'cinematic' of any in cycling history. 

Money Monster last night

a bit clichéd in the greed is bad within a not very plausible situation ...... but I didn't hate it  .. and at least nobody was wearing a cape :) 

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3511812/

Stop at Nothing the Lance Armstrong Story

Ta. 

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

Money Monster last night

a bit clichéd in the greed is bad within a not very plausible situation ...... but I didn't hate it  .. and at least nobody was wearing a cape :) 

Would you actually recommend it? I've been close to going twice now and then had second thoughts. 

24 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Ta. 

Would you actually recommend it? I've been close to going twice now and then had second thoughts. 

We only really saw it as there was nothing else on that we hadn't seen / didn't fancy

its ok , it doesn't lag and it's entertaining ... It's Clooney sorta being Clooney so how you feel about that could be the deciding factor on if it's worth seeing :)

On 31/05/2016 at 13:11, PieFacE said:

So this weekend I had the misfortune of watching Pitch Perfect 2 and Rosemary's Baby...

So, Pitch Perfect 2 was exactly what you thought it would be. Horrible and unfunny. Do not watch.

Rosemary's Baby, WTF... How is that film even remotely scary? I'm not even sure why it's considered a good film, it's terrible. I'm guessing it's one of those films which was good at its time in 1968.

prob is very tame by todays standards. A Polanski film that i thought was better was Repulsion from 1965

Edited by PaulC

Watched Ant Man and Winter Soldier in the build up to Civil War.  Now I know people said Ant Man is good; or better than it sounds; but I'm afraid I just found it crap.  Like really bad.  I got through it though, and now I assume I have the knowledge required to get Civil War (I'm asuming recruitment and origin ... ).  Winter Soldier was decent.  I noticed a shift in Black Widow's personality.  Much more humour/irreverence in her dialogue.  Felt a bit weird.  Other than that it was fairly standard fare.  Although every single time I saw the Winter Soldier I couldn't help immediately seeing Jaqen H'ghar out of Game of Thrones.  I can't be the only one :) 

Rogue One looks like it might be in some bother. Reports came out over the weekend that Disney aren't happy with it and extensive reshoots have been ordered to bring it up to standard. Reshoots aren't unusual to fill gaps or polish scenes but this is being reported as trying to fix a substandard movie rather apply some extra shine to things. Hmm. Gareth Edwards might be in danger of binning his career. Godzilla missed the mark for most people, he backed out of doing a sequel a couple of weeks back, and now Star Wars Rogue One is seemingly not up to snuff....

He might not be cut out for blockbuster fare.

Regards the reshoots for Rogue One, someone in the AICN talkback posted this:

I have colleagues who are working for one of the CG FX houses in London on this. Here's what I was told by one of them about a month ago:

Disney had already planned, and budgeted, for reshoots to be scheduled for this summer. The movie was rushed into production using early drafts of the script because they had to do so in order to meet the December 2016 release.

So the plan was to shoot what script they had (though they did bring on Christopher McQuarrie to do rewrites while the film was shooting), put together an initial edit of the film with temp FX in, and scrutinize the result. From there, decisions would be made on what needed to be done to "punch up" the movie.

The company these colleagues work for were being paid by Disney to remain "on call" to be ready to immediately work on new CG FX to go with whatever new footage is shot. At the time I was told this, they were twiddling around, waiting for the call, being paid by Disney to do nothing until they were needed to get back to work. (Disney has that amount of money to spend.)

So I'm inclined to say that this gossip report that Disney is trying to save the movie or thinks what they have now is disappointing is BS.

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Watched Ant Man and Winter Soldier in the build up to Civil War.  Now I know people said Ant Man is good; or better than it sounds; but I'm afraid I just found it crap.  Like really bad.  I got through it though, and now I assume I have the knowledge required to get Civil War (I'm asuming recruitment and origin ... ).  Winter Soldier was decent.  I noticed a shift in Black Widow's personality.  Much more humour/irreverence in her dialogue.  Felt a bit weird.  Other than that it was fairly standard fare.  Although every single time I saw the Winter Soldier I couldn't help immediately seeing Jaqen H'ghar out of Game of Thrones.  I can't be the only one :) 

I had the same reactions when watching guardians and avengers assemble, I was thinking this is just meh all round, how do people rate this?

Captain America and Deadpool I thought were ok so its not that I write off every film of that genre but some of them really are average at best but it seems like no one else is seeing it. Emperors New Clothes perhaps :)

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â