The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Transformers is bollocks. No, bollocks are better than Transformers. Transformers is... arse hair. Shit flecked arse hair.

45wLn.gif

I'm with Gareth.

The first one was just about passable.

Transformers 2 was absolutely terrible. Didn't bother with 3.

I read a brilliant article a few years ago which talked about Transformers and how awful from a directing POV it really was. Some of the basic schoolboy errors in the camerawork (emphasis given to triviality, no thought for the scale of shot etc) were truly awful.

Bay really is a hack.

I was entertained whilst watching it, so I'm good.

Basically I have 2 types of film.

Ones that bore me, ones that entertain me. If I leave the cinema entertained then the film has done it's job. I really can't be arsed to start analysing the camera work and crap like that.

Ones that bore me, ones that entertain me. If I leave the cinema entertained then the film has done it's job. I really can't be arsed to start analysing the camera work and crap like that.

I'm kinda in the same boat .... but that stance also lead to accusations that I just "didn't get it" when it came to certain films I.e Inception .. Boring and No Country for old men  ... slightly boring

I read a brilliant article a few years ago which talked about Transformers and how awful from a directing POV it really was. Some of the basic schoolboy errors in the camerawork (emphasis given to triviality, no thought for the scale of shot etc) were truly awful.

Bay really is a hack.

Unless that article was written by someone who had actually directed a film they dont really have a leg to stand on, just opinion.

Nobody does, you either enjoy it or not, its all opinion same for any critic or bloke in the street.

If the camera work is good then its just one of many steps to it being a good film, probably the most important being the script.

I'm kinda in the same boat .... but that stance also lead to accusations that I just "didn't get it" when it came to certain films I.e Inception .. Boring and No Country for old men  ... slightly boring

Depends on the film. If it's a popcorn film like Transformers or Avengers Assemble where you're supposed to leave your brain at the door, then it has either entertained me or it hasn't. I go no deeper than that. If it's something else then I can and will analyse further.

Pretty much the same here. I think I mentioned it before, but you can tell whether a movie is "good" or not, but ultimately it's irrelevant to me. What matters is whether you're entertained. Man of Steel certainly isn't a great movie, far from it. But I was very, very entertained by it. Well worth watching on the big screen.

Bay really is a hack.

Unless that article was written by someone who had actually directed a film they dont really have a leg to stand on, just opinion.

Nobody does, you either enjoy it or not, its all opinion same for any critic or bloke in the street.

If the camera work is good then its just one of many steps to it being a good film, probably the most important being the script.

That's not the point I was making. The article pointed out basic technical flaws in his direction, nothing to do with how much he (the writer) enjoyed the movie (or didn't). Cold, hard facts about the direction. He's a poor director.

Edited by Designer1

Just got back from World War Z - enjoyed it overall, think it suffered a little from being a collection of set pieces rather than a coherent narrative but it whizzed along at a fair pace and Mr.Pitt was his usual solid self.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â