The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I guess I go to the cinema to enjoy myself. I enjoy the spectacle of a big budget superhero blockbuster - I don't think it's going to set Cannes ablaze or win any Oscars for performances or it's artfulness, but I enjoy something like Man of Steel for what it is.

I think a good few people might go and see Man of Steel and be blown away, in all honesty - it's finale is quite genuinely blockbuster fare. Perhaps too much so.

I guess it's very easy to look down on. Each to their own.

Exactly this. The big screen is made for movies that will truly benefit from it, in my opinion and Man of Steel is certainly one of these movies. As people have said, the story is very weak and it's a CGI-fest but who cares? I want to go to the cinema and enjoy myself, I want the movie to be fun to watch and that's what Man of Steel is. I personal hate Superman. I'm into comic book stuff, but he's an incredibly dull character, but this was still enjoyable to me.

My favourite movies would include Iron Man, Avengers, The Dark Knight - do I know they're not the greatest movies ever made? Yeah, but so what. I'd rather sit through 3 hours of these rather than some pretentious Oscar hunting movie.

• Like 1

The problem I have with many comic book/superhero films is the inevitable cheesiness and cringe worthy one-liners made even worse, in the cinema, by people actually laughing out loud.

Yep. Very much that.

Hence why I hate RDJ's character (stark is it?) in Ironman/The Avengers

I guess I go to the cinema to enjoy myself. I enjoy the spectacle of a big budget superhero blockbuster - I don't think it's going to set Cannes ablaze or win any Oscars for performances or it's artfulness, but I enjoy something like Man of Steel for what it is.

I think a good few people might go and see Man of Steel and be blown away, in all honesty - it's finale is quite genuinely blockbuster fare. Perhaps too much so.

I guess it's very easy to look down on. Each to their own.

Exactly this. The big screen is made for movies that will truly benefit from it, in my opinion and Man of Steel is certainly one of these movies. As people have said, the story is very weak and it's a CGI-fest but who cares? I want to go to the cinema and enjoy myself, I want the movie to be fun to watch and that's what Man of Steel is. I personal hate Superman. I'm into comic book stuff, but he's an incredibly dull character, but this was still enjoyable to me.

My favourite movies would include Iron Man, Avengers, The Dark Knight - do I know they're not the greatest movies ever made? Yeah, but so what. I'd rather sit through 3 hours of these rather than some pretentious Oscar hunting movie.

I wish I could enjoy these movies. I just can't. I used to go to see so many of the big budget films and the wafer thin and linear plots just kill the movies for me. I understand that the big special effects and action scenes are what people flock to see. But I just don't find special effects entertaining enough to make up for formulaic and simplistic plot. 

For example someone put me on to Stoker in this thread which I watched the other night. I really enjoyed that film, enjoyed it far more than pretty much all big cgi films I've seen in the last decade.

For a big budget summer movie you need it to play to the masses and that hinders what level of complexity the plot can be, more often than not it's a rehash of some other films plot. Or just a total remake.

I really am looking forward to the future of high budget tv shows though. I think that's more where my focus for entertainment will go. 

The problem is high budget especially American TV shows of decent quality are slowly coming to the (excuse the over the top word) end of their renaissance.

What a baffling statement. How or why do you say they're coming to the end of their renaissance?!!

I think it's the beginning, with tv shows like House of Cards going up on Netflix. We'll slowly move away from weekly TV shows and onto a subscription model where movies and TV shows can go up to be viewed on demand.

Revenue will come from the subscription fee still, like HBO get but it'll be for a wider audience as it'll be on the net instead of the massively outdated medium of cable TV.

It's only the beginning. 

The problem is high budget especially American TV shows of decent quality are slowly coming to the (excuse the over the top word) end of their renaissance.

What a baffling statement. How or why do you say they're coming to the end of their renaissance?!!

I think it's the beginning, with tv shows like House of Cards going up on Netflix. We'll slowly move away from weekly TV shows and onto a subscription model where movies and TV shows can go up to be viewed on demand.

Revenue will come from the subscription fee still, like HBO get but it'll be for a wider audience as it'll be on the net instead of the massively outdated medium of cable TV.

It's only the beginning.

Because American TV doesn't have a decent series currently, truly great ones. They've had The Wire, The Sopranos, West Wing to name but a few over the last 10 years; currently they dont have one. Mad Men and Breaking bad are coming to an end. Boardwalk and Game of Thrones although good are not a patch on the likes that have come before unfortunately.

Surely that is totally subjective. Based entirely on your personal opinions though. 

Many people would call Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones and Boardwalk Empire being around at the same time proof that there is clearly quite a lot of good TV shows being made.

Also the potential for new shows released on demand on Netflix and Amazon to name but 2 bodes well for the future. 

Yes, which is why it was good for shows like Lost and Fringe to get an actual ending. I know, I know, some people didn't like the ending of Lost. But that show is still the one I waited most expectantly for week in week out.

American TV has that terrible problem of not knowing when to call time on a show. They'll milk it for all it's worth, and they'll shaft anything that doesn't make $$$.

That is a big problem that is entirely related to TV ad revenue. But as we move to on demand content companies like Netflix and Amazon can rely on broad subscription model to allow for more niche shows and movies. Such a model can allow many smaller movies get made or picked up for mass global distribution without the reliance on a theatrical release.

This is the way the industry is moving. Just cable companies in American are fighting tooth and nail to slow this shift to protect their lucrative models. But it will end up that way

Watched Lord Of War last night... first time in a few years. I think it is a superb film.. one of Cage's best. 

• Like 1

Watched Lord Of War last night... first time in a few years. I think it is a superb film.. one of Cage's best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP1-oquwoL8

NSFW!

In news sure to delight Stevo985, Robert Downey Jr has agreed a new 2 film deal with Marvel for Avengers 2 and 3. Excellent news.

In other comic book movie news, Amazing Spiderman 2 has had a cast member cut - The girl playing Mary Jane has been dropped entirely. But rumour has it they've added another villain to make up for things. Colm Feore is rumoured to be playing the Vulture. Meaning this movie might have 4 villains

It's gonna be a car crash.

Edited by Chindie
  • Like 2

In news sure to delight Stevo985, Robert Downey Jr has agreed a new 2 film deal with Marvel for Avengers 2 and 3. Excellent news.

It is indeed. Let's face it, he IS Iron Man.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â