The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Watched The best exotic Hotel Marigold the other night. A little different feelgood film that I liked. You seldom see films about older people. At least here in the north they're too easily forgotten. Good actors too, like Judi dench, Bill Nighy, Tom Wilkinson and Maggie Smith.

Now watch "Quartet" for comparison purposes.

I'll try to find it. :)

Just back from Man of Steel.

Paper thin plot, some good performances, completely daft action. I have to be honest and say I rather enjoyed it.

The finale does beg the question, quite how many people did Superman kill in saving the world?

• Like 2

I can't see mention of this yet in here so ...

There is no Loki in The Avengers 2

Joss Whedon: "No Loki in The Avengers 2"

Thor's bad brother will sit out the sequel.

We've got some bad news for fans of Tom Hiddeston

While appearing recently on Empire's podcast, writer-director Joss Whedon said Loki will not be in his upcoming sequel Marvel's The Avengers 2.

"I've turned in a first draft, but the story is very set. Everybody's very much on board with the exact movie I'm trying to make which is what worked the first time," said Whedon. "Immitating what I did before is the surest way to do it not as well. Second of all, and Loki is not there to say those terrible things."

Not really a surprise - Thanos is bound to be the villain for Avengers 2. Though he's likely to appear in GoTG first.

Loki is returning for Thor 2 though.

Watching Stoker for a second time now. Anyone seen it? Best film i've seen since Black Swan.

Just finished watching it. Thought it was very good indeed. Glad movies like this are still being made. 

For me, a good film is a good film irrespective of genre. There's good and bad in all genres. I'm not particularly gone on superhero movies tbh. I didn't collect comics, I didn't sketch the heroes on my copybook in school. In that sense I'm not a fan. But if something is done well I'll watch it. Which is why I think The Dark Knight, in particular, is a genuinely good film, superhero genre or not.

Once, I even watched a Western that I didn't hate. Honest to McGrath, a WESTERN!!

• Like 1

For me, a good film is a good film irrespective of genre. There's good and bad in all genres. I'm not particularly gone on superhero movies tbh. I didn't collect comics, I didn't sketch the heroes on my copybook in school. In that sense I'm not a fan. But if something is done well I'll watch it. Which is why I think The Dark Knight, in particular, is a genuinely good film, superhero genre or not.

Once, I even watched a Western that I didn't hate. Honest to McGrath, a WESTERN!!

I like the recent Batman films, in particular the first two. They're bloody good movies. Other than those I've never seen a superhero movie that I've genuinely enjoyed from start to finish.

I'm not really one for action movies generally to be fair. Throw in mutants knobbing around in lycra and I'm completely turned off.

• Like 1

Just back from Man of Steel.

Massively disappointed. A few good ideas knocking around and some decent performances spoilt by way too much CGI and a really poor storyline.

That's me not seeing it at the cinema then. Pretty much sums up my fears, for this and for all superhero movies.

I "get" why people like superhero movies, I personally think they're twaddle.

Basically how I see it.

Some of them are good. I don't write off the whole genre. I love the Batman films and I'm actually going to see Man of Steel. I like the concept of it being a bit darker than "traditional" superman films.

But I find most superhero films (and comic book films in general) to be pretty awful. 

Even the Avengers, which I did very much enjoy, I felt didn't deserve the hype it got. There was a very long boring part to that film and Stark's humour had a good go at ruining it for me.

Anyway, in short I agree with you. There are some very good exceptions, but largely I don't like comic book films.

Agreed. Apart from the last bit. There are many a good western films out there. But the rest, I'm all with you. There are of course preferred genres, but I don't think there's any genre that don't have a good or a bad film. A good film's a good film.

I don't mind films based on comics so much. In the main they are daft escapism, which is nice now and then. Some have a little more depth e.g. Dark Knight, Watchmen and those tend to be the type I gravitate towards, but I'll happily sit through an Avengers and its big daft storylines.

Most do end up being pretty forgettable though, which is a shame, because the comics/graphic novels themselves are more often than not political allegories and the like. Although I haven't read many.

For me, Avengers was mediocre. The highlights (the only lights) were Scarlett and RDJ. I can however see how a comic fan would see the coming together of all those franchises on one screen as being a serious geekfest though.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â