The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I've just finished Life of Pi. I don't care that it was the critics darling, I absolutely adored it. Stunning cinematography, great performances and amazing cgi.

Adult Pi's monologue at the end about letting go and saying goodbye was quite moving. Hit me a little bit.

Anyone on the fence about this, just don't go into it in a cynical frame of mind. Oh and watch it on blue ray if you can.

Saw Star Trek today as well.  As a film in it's own right, it's about a 6/10, passable popcorn flick but as a Trek film I'd give it a 5.  Disappointing.

Firstly, if I wanted to watch Star Trek II, I'd have watched Star Trek II.  I'm all for it having been a Khan film (especially as Cumberbatch was great), but just lifting entire scenes smacked of a lack of ideas.  There's a billion directions they could have taken Khan's introduction to the rebooted universe in, but it was all flat as hell and telegraphed from the get-go.  

Film also definitely crossed over the line of giving subtle nods to out-and-out smacking you in the face with 'hilarious' references, like they were desperate to show how clued up on old Trek they were.  "Look, look!  We know our Star Trek!  Section 31!  A Tribble!  Carol Marcus!  'Captain' Sulu!  McCoy operating on a photon torpedo! OMG ROFL!"  Eugh.  

Kirk's death was unintentionally hilarious too, but like I said that's what you wind up with when you just regurgitate stuff wholesale.  "KHAAAN!" indeed, new Spock.

Visually it was pretty good, but it's nothing you didn't see in the first flick.  Dreadnought ship was pretty cool, but f**k me what did they do to the Klingon Bird of Prey?  One of the iconic ships from the entire franchise reduced to a Meccano Pterodactyl.  *insert Picard facepalm*  Despite the fact that they had dialled down the lens flare, they seemingly still saw fit to have any scene on the bridge of the Enterprise backlit by a damn supernova.

On the plus-side, bonus Robocop!

:) we love you really CED

I dunno, I normally hate these 'Oscar' type films and i was certainly on the fence about it before watching but sometimes a film clicks with you, the themes running throughout the film just struck me, may be due to where I am in life and how I'm feeling. A few years ago I may have hated this film completely. Thats the beauty of cinema I guess, it would be extremely boring if we all liked the same films.

Edited by Ingram85

Just saw Star Trek. I enjoyed it, save the opening scene, and one HUGE flaw

And it is the same with Star Trek II. Khan is a much, much better villain than the plot allows him to be. In Wrath of Khan, aside from the epic scenery chewing, he isn't served well at all. The final section in that film is completely naff. He's a little more bad ass in this, and Cucumberpatch is brilliant, but the plot lets him down. Admittedly with a film involving space ships you are going to have some space ship shoot outs but for a genetically enhanced super-genius, the stakes never feel that high. Which is a shame.

The pacing was also a bit off. Some of the 'emotional' scenes fell flat on their arse, but I don't go watch Star Trek for emotional clout, but a little more thought and less 'here's some tears and sad music, be sad!' would be nice.

Aside from that I did enjoy it. A solid piece of entertainment.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â