The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Dark Crystal is brilliant!

I have fond memories of similar kind-of-creepy-but-maybe-not-on-purpose-but-actually-probably-yeah-on-purpose kids films such as Labyrinth, Neverending Story II, Return to Oz, Willow (was also going to say Time Bandits, not sure if it really counts as a kids film) - but all of those just seem a whole lot better, man. I watched Labyrinth not long ago and it's better than Dark Crystal fer shur. Especially because of  Even with David Bowie's tackle swinging about in front of your face whenever he appears on screen.

Edited by hogso

Dark Crystal is brilliant!

I have fond memories of similar kind-of-creepy-but-maybe-not-on-purpose-but-actually-probably-yeah-on-purpose kids films such as Labyrinth, Neverending Story II, Return to Oz, Willow (was also going to say Time Bandits, not sure if it really counts as a kids film) - but all of those just seem a whole lot better, man. I watched Labyrinth not long ago and it's better than Dark Crystal fer shur. Especially because of  Even with David Bowie's tackle swinging about in front of your face whenever he appears on screen.

I know he's known as the thin white duke but he was too skinny in that film.

I mean, look at his hands here.

tumblr_mflontL9nH1rffxo0o1_500.gif

I've never seen any of the never ending story films.

You would probably have a similar reaction to my viewing of Dark Crystal if you watched it/them now, I guess. It wouldn't seem so good. As I recall - the first one was good, the second one was SCARY cos of the horrible nasty giant metal death machine things, and the 3rd one was terrible.

Labyrinth is probably my fave film of all time, I have it on bluray and have the soundtrack of it...I also have King Jareth and Hoggle figures...oh and I have a Labyrinth mug...and I have the film on my Ipod

Fook knows how many times I have seen it in my life

• Like 1

I forgot I also own this as well

31TYQDVW7DL.jpg

In 1986, the movie "Labyrinth" introduced the world to a set of unforgettable goblins from the minds of Brian Froud and Jim Henson. Re-issued for the 20th anniversary, this book chronicles each of the creatures in detail, with all the artistry and originality for which Froud and Henson are known. Fans of the movie - now a cult classic - will flock to the book, in addition to the legion of fans of Froud's other fairy books. Like Froud's "The World of the Dark Crystal", also published by Abrams, this book will be a must-have for collectors and fans everywhere.

awesome book

oblivion

its ok, watchable if you dont mind cruise cos he's on screen 99% of the time, it looks and sounds great, soundtrack especially is really good, the support cast is good, overall the story is good, but it felt like it had robbed elements from a lot of other sci fi films (bits of moon, idependence day, star wars) and doesnt do them anywhere near as well, its got 1 major twist and several other minor ones which are all well enough written but very predictable, i also thought that it went down 2 hollywood routes which weakened the film - a chase / action sequence that it didnt need and it explained everything, especially a flashback at the end, that better films just wouldnt do

From the trailer I saw I thought it was Wall-e but with humans

No idea what Guardians of the Galaxy is, but Michael Rooker is in it now, and Michael Rooker is amazeballs.

Playing a character called Yondu, which means they're going obscure with that film. Will either be fantastic or absolutely hopeless.

oblivion

its ok, watchable if you dont mind cruise cos he's on screen 99% of the time, it looks and sounds great, soundtrack especially is really good, the support cast is good, overall the story is good, but it felt like it had robbed elements from a lot of other sci fi films (bits of moon, idependence day, star wars) and doesnt do them anywhere near as well, its got 1 major twist and several other minor ones which are all well enough written but very predictable, i also thought that it went down 2 hollywood routes which weakened the film - a chase / action sequence that it didnt need and it explained everything, especially a flashback at the end, that better films just wouldnt do

From the trailer I saw I thought it was Wall-e but with humans

yeah thats certainly another film it steals from

cruise even has his own little shack full of books, toys, records etc that he's found on his travels, he shares wall-e's inquisitive nature

Saw "The Place Beyond the Pines" last night.

Really very good. Was a bit worried with where it was going at one point but it's great. Really enjoyed it. Gosling was predictably brilliant (startling similarities to the character in Drive, imo) and Cooper was better than I've ever seen him (Silver Linings comes close)

Saw it at the Electric Cinema. First time I've been there. It's fantastic in there, proper bar, I got tea in a mug to drink during the film, and really nice atmosphere for the film.

Only complaint was that for a 6 foot 3 bloke, the leg room was crippling. Any longer than 2 hours and I'd have had to get up for a walk around (but that's obviously expected at a cinema so old). I think I'll splash out for a sofa next time :D

Really very good. Was a bit worried with where it was going at one point but it's great. Really enjoyed it. Gosling was predictably brilliant (startling similarities to the character in Drive, imo) and Cooper was better than I've ever seen him (Silver Linings comes close)

Saw it at the Electric Cinema. First time I've been there. It's fantastic in there, proper bar, I got tea in a mug to drink during the film, and really nice atmosphere for the film.

Only complaint was that for a 6 foot 3 bloke, the leg room was crippling. Any longer than 2 hours and I'd have had to get up for a walk around (but that's obviously expected at a cinema so old). I think I'll splash out for a sofa next time :D

I also saw this at the Electric yesterday and thought it was fantastic. Both the cinema and The Place Beyond the Pines. Gosling is awesome. Drinking whiskey whilst watching a film is ace! Only problem I had was that Gosling always had a fag in his mouth, really made we want to smoke!!!

Was pretty gutted when Gosling died

:(

Edited by PieFacE

I also saw this at the Electric yesterday and thought it was fantastic. Both the cinema and The Place Beyond the Pines. Gosling is awesome. Drinking whiskey whilst watching a film is ace! Only problem I had was that Gosling always had a fag in his mouth, really made we want to smoke!!!

Was pretty gutted when Gosling died

:(

8:30 showing?

We might have been sitting next to each other! (I was at the very back right of the "red" (i.e. the non sofa) seats)

yeah I was stunned, and gutted, when he died. Really took me by surprise, I just assumed he'd be in it the whole way through (or most of it at least) given that he was billed as the lead role. I was sat there thinking "Nah he won't be dead....oh... yeah he looks pretty dead!"

In reality, Cooper is really the lead in it

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â