The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

To be honest I don't think even Gerard Butler knows what accent he has normally. He has a borderline offensive Scottish accent most of the time. That must be great in acting where it's easy to slip out of an accent you don't really have in the first place. I liked P.S. I Love You as fluff. Hilary is wubbly in it.

To be honest I don't think even Gerard Butler knows what accent he has normally. He has a borderline offensive Scottish accent most of the time. That must be great in acting where it's easy to slip out of an accent you don't really have in the first place. I liked P.S. I Love You as fluff. Hilary is wubbly in it.

I had to sit through the movie he apparently uses his own scottish accent (playing the field or something like that)... i googled and apparently it was his native scottish accent.. but it was awful, it was switching every other scene!

Thing is my wife's taste in movies is almost identical to mine so I know I'm on safe ground with a French horror.

If I suggested some Hollywood chick flick she’d probably have me down the divorce court. :P

Does she have a sister? I had to sit through Marley and Me the other day :(

Thought Silver Linings Playbook was excellent for the first hour (had the air of a continental film) and decent for the rest (allowing for the feel good cobblers).

Really enjoyed that one Darren. I thought given the subject matter, they handled it very well and although the end does stray into 'feel good cobblers' territory :) it was one of the rare occasions where I was happy for that to happen.

One of De Niro's best performances for a while too.

Perhaps I was a little harsh, Si. :)

I agree that De Niro was very decent.

Overall, I'd be swayed by the excellence of the early part of the film and come down in the very good camp.

• Like 1

If anyone wants a laugh, one of the worst films I've ever seen, Aliens vs Predator: Requiem, started on 4 about 20 minutes ago. Don't worry, you'll have missed nothing.

So bad a film, the Predator is reduced to being a cleaner.

Last night I watched Lincoln. 

Far too many boring parts. Maybe it's because I was tired, I don't know but I just couldn't get into it. This film really is a case of all talk and no action. If you've seen it you should know what I mean by that. Daniel Day Lewis is good in it but overall I was expecting it to be a lot better. I'd give it a generous 6/10.

If anyone wants a laugh, one of the worst films I've ever seen, Aliens vs Predator: Requiem, started on 4 about 20 minutes ago. Don't worry, you'll have missed nothing.

I raise you Expendables 2 - surely the worst film ever ever to grace the big screen.... Not even the tongue in cheek dialogue could save it!

I watched Once Were Warriors last night. It's a New Zealand film from the mid 90s about a dysfunctional family of Moari descent, who struggle to cope with life with the destructive father of the family. I wasn't sure about the first half of the film, as it goes to some pretty dark places, but the the tone doesn't seem to match some how.

The second half of the film is superb though. Some really fantastic moments and performances, especially from the actress who plays Grace, one of those who only ever played one part in a movie, but absolutely nailed it. Reminded me of the girl from Fish Tank in that respect.

File under 'powerful' and 'hard hitting drama'. To anyone who has seen both films, is the sequel worth seeing? I thought things were left fine as they were.

Edited by hogso
  • Like 1

I raise you Expendables 2 - surely the worst film ever ever to grace the big screen.... Not even the tongue in cheek dialogue could save it!

Expendables 2 is rubbish, true, but theres enough enjoyment in it and it's reasonably well made for what it is - rubbish but competent rubbish.

AVP:R seems to have been with cinematography designed to obscure how utterly awful it is, vast swathes of the film are actually verging on impossible to see, the framing and lighting of the scenes being so awful.

Last night I watched Lincoln. 

Far too many boring parts. Maybe it's because I was tired, I don't know but I just couldn't get into it. This film really is a case of all talk and no action. If you've seen it you should know what I mean by that. Daniel Day Lewis is good in it but overall I was expecting it to be a lot better. I'd give it a generous 6/10.

completely agree, said a few pages back if it wasnt for DDL it would be a really average film

watched the bond documentary on sky movies last night, really good, could have been 6 hours long and just kept going with info on every film and id have been happy, shame that at times it feels like it has to move along

More Guardians of the Galaxy news/rumour came out this week. Jason Momoa (Drogo in Game of Thrones and Conan in the piss awful remake) is one of the choices for playing Drax the Destroyer, which again I have no idea whether would be a good choice or not.

I do know that Drax will be absolutely central to the plot if Thanos is the villain, though. He has the ability to track and locate the purple death loving bastard.

Wreck-it Ralph. Brilliant. Especially if you're a retro games fan. Would have been better with an actual Mario appearance but hey.

Didn't they say that they could have put Mario in it but couldn't find a way to work him into it without it being obvious that they had him there for the sake of it?

Sure I read something like that. Seems a bit strange.

Wreck-it Ralph. Brilliant. Especially if you're a retro games fan. Would have been better with an actual Mario appearance but hey.

Didn't they say that they could have put Mario in it but couldn't find a way to work him into it without it being obvious that they had him there for the sake of it?

Sure I read something like that. Seems a bit strange.

Yeah I suppose. I also thought they could have used Mariokart as one of the games involved as it's a karting game but it turned out it wouldn't have fitted.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â