The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Wow, I've not watched nearly enough horror.

I thought Ringu was absolute garbage though. Yes, 'that scene', but the tension didn't build nearly enough for me.

I've been wanting to watch Audition for a while and Ju-on really intrigues me too.

I'll give you one that's underrated... "Cube".

IMDB agrees that 'Cube' is a horror film, but I didn't really see it that way.  Watched it last year after my mate (who has generally decent taste and knows his stuff when it comes to films) had been banging on about how great it was.  I felt very disappointed, but he had hyped it up a lot.  I thought the guy playing the cop was really irritating and over-acted everything.  As an idea, though, I really liked it.

Does Dracula with Gary Oldman go for a horror movie? It's a great film, IMO. but not scary. More drama/thriller.

With the exception of the cracking Oldman performance I think that's my least favourite Dracula movie ever. Hopkins, Reeves and Ryder should be ashamed of themselves they were so bad. 

Does Dracula with Gary Oldman go for a horror movie? It's a great film, IMO. but not scary. More drama/thriller.

That Dracula film is hilarious, I laughed my ass off almost every time Keanu Reeves attempts his English accent.

On Vampire films, Andy Warhol's Dracula with Udo Kier is ace, in a camp way. And George A Romeo's Martin, is also great.

• Like 1

I rate the Hollywood one as the scariest film I've ever seen.

That's not to say it's the best, by a long shot. Films that have been mentioned already (Shining, Exorcist, The Thing etc) and stuff like Let the Right One In are BETTER films.

But the most scared I've ever been during a film is during The Ring.

I would like to raise a shout for "Yojimbo". 

It was made as a tribute to John Ford but Sergio Leone practically picked it up and shoved American actors in for a "Fistful of Dollars" (this is noted on the back of the DVD case :D)

It's utterly brilliant. 

Edited by trekka
  • Like 1

I would like to raise a shout for "Yojimbo". 

It was made as a tribute to John Ford but Sergio Leone practically picked it up and shoved American actors in for a "Fistful of Dollars" (this is noted on the back of the DVD case :D)

It's utterly brilliant. 

Classic.

I've mentioned this and Seven Samurai a few times in this thread as i'm a massive fan of Kurosawa's work. Takashi Miike's Death of a Samurai and 13 Assassins both have a massive Kurosawa influence and are both superb.

Incidentally the Yojimbo storyline was also used for the Bruce Willis movie Last Man Standing.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 1

Watched the Luc Besson adaptation of The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec yesterday.  Like Terry Gilliam does Indiana Jones, and aside from some ropey CGI it's very, very good.

• Like 1

With the exception of the cracking Oldman performance I think that's my least favourite Dracula movie ever. Hopkins, Reeves and Ryder should be ashamed of themselves they were so bad. 

Reeves is boring, Ryder is just lame, but I like Hopkins' van Helsing. :) Do you count in all of Lee's Dracula films in that? I mean, I like them, but they're really not that good. They're more charming or maybe nostalgic. Haven't seen Nosferatu, but I intend to one day.

I rate the Hollywood one as the scariest film I've ever seen.

That's not to say it's the best, by a long shot. Films that have been mentioned already (Shining, Exorcist, The Thing etc) and stuff like Let the Right One In are BETTER films.

But the most scared I've ever been during a film is during The Ring.

Think I agree with this. Can't think of anyone right now that scared me more. Maybe the first PA. And I liked it, but of course it's not better than those films you mention.

That film gets 10/10 from me

Purely for Monica Belucci's performance

Edited by AshVilla

Finally got around to watching Looper - not amazing but still a pretty good watch.

Strange watching JGL doing his best Willis facial expressions!!!!

Good concept, pretty well acted and overall decent.

Loved the bit with Seth's older self realising his younger self was being tortured as he fled!!!!

Tonight, one for the wife to enjoy - Magic Mike!

Reeves is boring, Ryder is just lame, but I like Hopkins' van Helsing. :) Do you count in all of Lee's Dracula films in that? I mean, I like them, but they're really not that good. They're more charming or maybe nostalgic. Haven't seen Nosferatu, but I intend to one day.

Hammer Studios is one of my particularly favourite movie subjects (i'm a bit of a geek when it comes to useless knowledge on those movies ;)) So I absolutely adore the Christopher Lee Dracula films. With the exception of the latter few (Satanic rites and Dracula Ad 1972) I think they're all great. You're right in some respects regarding the charm and nostalgia factor, but I genuinely think given the budget and time restrictions that people like Terence Fisher (one of my favourite directors from that era) had to work under  they produced miracles.

I have a soft spot for the Frank Langella's Dracula too. It's a pretty poor version (with a terrible performance from Laurence Olivier) but Langella was great and should have had much more screen time.

As for earlier versions of Dracula, I think Nosferatu (1922) knocks the Bela Lugosi version for six. Max Schreck was a seriously impressive vampire, and the photography used in that movie (considering when it was made) was nothing short of astonishing. The use of negative film on the trees etc, was wonderfully creative.

Edited by Designer1

Hammer Studios is one of my particularly favourite movie subjects (i'm a bit of a geek when it comes to useless knowledge on those movies ;)) So I absolutely adore the Christopher Lee Dracula films. With the exception of the latter few (Satanic rites and Dracula Ad 1972) I think they're all great. You're right in some respects regarding the charm and nostalgia factor, but I genuinely think given the budget and time restrictions that people like Terence Fisher (one of my favourite directors from that era) had to work under  they produced miracles.

I have a soft spot for the Frank Langella's Dracula too. It's a pretty poor version (with a terrible performance from Laurence Olivier) but Langella was great and should have had much more screen time.

As for earlier versions of Dracula, I think Nosferatu (1922) knocks the Bela Lugosi version for six. Max Schreck was a seriously impressive vampire, and the photography used in that movie (considering when it was made) was nothing short of astonishing. The use of negative film on the trees etc, was wonderfully creative.

You are a geek. ;) But really, how many films did Lee do? I've found two and I bought them both. And I like them both. I like the atmosphere and all that too. But they're pretty hard to find on dvd.

I would have preferred 'Sauce Code' - a conspiracy espionage thriller about a James bond type sent to track down the stolen ultra top secret recipe for Daddy's brown sauce.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â