The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Shining is a great movie but I doubt it would even make my top ten in terms of horror movies.

Ooh, I'd be interested in that if you could make it. I've a mate who works in the industry and has a particular affinity/obsession with horror films who I'll try and get a top 10 from aswell.

Agree about The Shining. It's such an iconic film, I forget that it's supposed to be scary.

Then again, my attitude to horror films is much like my attitude to eating curries - OK once or twice a year as a novelty, but wouldn't want to do it every week.

Ooh, I'd be interested in that if you could make it. I've a mate who works in the industry and has a particular affinity/obsession with horror films who I'll try and get a top 10 from aswell.

I can give you 20 if you like ;)  No particular order:

1. The Exorcist

2. The Haunting (the 1963 version)

3. Audition

4. The Devil Rides Out

5. High Tension (Switchblade Romance)

6. Tale of Two Sisters

7. Rosemary's Baby

8. Psycho

9. Halloween

10. Texas Chainsaw Massacre

11. Don't Look Now

12. Bedevilled

13. Freaks

14. Nosferatu (the original and the Werner Herzog version are both excellent)

15. Devils Backbone

16. Suspiria

17. Wicker Man

18. Thirst

19. Ringu

20. Let The Right One In

I can give you 20 if you like ;)  No particular order:

1. The Exorcist

2. The Haunting (the 1963 version)

3. Audition

4. The Devil Rides Out

5. High Tension (Switchblade Romance)

6. Tale of Two Sisters

7. Rosemary's Baby

8. Psycho

9. Halloween

10. Texas Chainsaw Massacre

11. Don't Look Now

12. Bedevilled

13. Freaks

14. Nosferatu (the original and the Werner Herzog version are both excellent)

15. Devils Backbone

16. Suspiria

17. Wicker Man

18. Thirst

19. Ringu

20. Let The Right One In

Interesting, here's my mate's top 10

1. The Thing

Most horror films use the characters stupidity to advance the plot. The Thing is the opposite, the characters are smart, do everything right but still die.

2. Ringu

Been parodied so much now that it has lost it's shock (like The Exorcist) but that scene is still the most frightening thing ever filmed.

3. Dawn of the Dead (1978)

Although NOTLD gave us the zombie as we know it, DOTD is still the pinnacle of zombie movies.

4. Halloween

The film that gave us the slasher movie (although some would argue that Psycho started it), beautifully shot too.

5. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Very under-rated as a movie. The art direction for leatherface's lair is the template that every film has used since for "What does a psycho's house look like?"

6. Peeping Tom.

Released at the same time as Psycho but banned in many countries. It's an excellent movie that ended up being one of the most influential horror movies ever made.

Without this we wouldn't have the sub-genre that is "found footage". The director was blacklisted after the controversy, which is a shame, he could have been another Hitchcock.

7. The Eyes Without a face

Again released in 1960 like Psycho. Brilliant shot, some really creepy images and a belter of a scene where someone's face is removed in real time. An amazing film for it's time

8. Ju-On

Try watching this **** on your own with the lights off. Breaks a lot of conventional the horror rules and works so much better for it.

9. The Wicker Man

Genuinely unsettling film. Also Christopher Lee's best role.

10. Maniac (2012 remake)

I really, really enjoyed this. Shot in the first person, Frodo Baggins as a serial Killer and a soundtrack to rival Drive, it shouldn't have worked but it was a belter.

And another mate's top 10

10: Invasion of the Body Snatchers

09: The Fog

08: EraserHead

07: REC

06: Eyes Without Face

05: The Wickerman

04: The Omen

03: Night Of The Living Dead

02: Haloween

01: The Exorcist

And me. Even though IMDb has Jaws listed as a horror, I didn't feel right cheating by including it.

The Exorcist

Cannibal Holocaust

Halloween

Texas Chainsaw Massacre

The Shining

The Omen

The Grudge 2

The Grudge

28 Weeks Later

Exorcist 3

Which version of The Thing?

Predictably, I like the 50s one. It's more science fiction than horror.

The 1982 version. As in yeah, the 'horror' film.

'Don't Look Now' would be my number one, perhaps not as frightening as 'The Exorcist' but an incredible film none the less.

I'd also throw on 'Spoorloos (The Vanishing)' and 'Night of the Hunter'.

I nearly put Night of the Hunter in, but I see it more as a psychological thriller.

Don't Look Now is such a classic though, had to go on my list. Has Venice ever looked better on film?

flight -

really liked it, perhaps not as deep and dark as it could have been but that didnt bother me, whoever it was i questioned over denzel winning best actor at the oscars, i take it back, better performance IMO, DDL gets the incredible voice but DW was superb

id put it on par with django for best film, argo still way out in front

and the woman at the start... :wub: perfect

Wow, I've not watched nearly enough horror.

I thought Ringu was absolute garbage though. Yes, 'that scene', but the tension didn't build nearly enough for me.

I've been wanting to watch Audition for a while and Ju-on really intrigues me too.

I'll give you one that's underrated... "Cube".

I hate horror films , well genuine ones at least ( I can tolerate spoofs and zombie films) I watched childs play when I was far too young and it scarred me for life. I have never seen the exorcist or the shining etc and never will. I have seen dead kids on the streets of Kosovo which never phased me yet I still won't watch horror films. I get no enjoyment at all from them.

Edited by Brumerican

flight -

really liked it, perhaps not as deep and dark as it could have been but that didnt bother me, whoever it was i questioned over denzel winning best actor at the oscars, i take it back, better performance IMO, DDL gets the incredible voice but DW was superb

id put it on par with django for best film, argo still way out in front

and the woman at the start... :wub: perfect

:D

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â