The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

This post might be a bit deep and long. But I'd love to hear others opinions on it. I know lots of people have seen it.

Ok I watched The Tree of Life for the 2nd time last night. I like leaving a gap of over a year between seeing a great movie and it's reviewing. This 2nd time it didn't have that magical emotional effect that washed over me at the end, which was the truly amazing thing I experienced the first time I saw this masterpiece. But I was able to think more during the film and try to understand it.

Ok obviously there are spoilers from here on in. But spoilers for this? There's no real plot so nothing to spoil much. Anyway. Let's start with the obvious, the film is semi autobiographical. Malick himself is the eldest of 3 brothers and was born in Waco, Texas where the film is set, his younger brother a musician tormented by the pressure of performing, died in the late 60's reportedly of suicide.

So we move on to the obvious parallels with the film, Jack is clearly Malick, the main character. The film opens with talk of Nature and Grace. Jack and his father are of the Nature mould, while his brother and mother are that of grace. So gentle & loving vs harshness of nature. Then of course Jacks brother dies, at the age of 19 and questions of why? are asked. We are made to feel so small and insignificant by the stunning birth of the universe sequence. Before being returned to lives of the O'Brien family.

But there is too much to discuss here, but what I want to talk about is the end. I see some people think Jack still tormented by his brothers death commits suicide himself. While this is certainly a possibility, especially given Malicks own brother did as such. But Jack is Malick and Malick is alive and making this movie.

No I think since Jack goes up the elevator we get the lost sequence, where people believe it is heaven. He has not gone there, but a young Jack says "follow me", I believe this is Jack coming to terms with the death of his brother. He believes he will see him and everyone again, in heaven the way they were in the happiest times of his life. When he was young growing up in Waco. So we see him descend in the elevator, having been brought back from the brink of suicide and the smile Sean Penn gives at the end shows he has found acceptance.

We then cut to the wispy colour which is the tree of life that opens the film then, finally we end on the photo of a Suspension Bridge. This is the part that has me thinking more than anything. Why did Malick want to end the Film like this? What does it mean? It's a clear symbol, a bridge over water. I'm still trying to understand the meaning of that to me.

But, in any event. This is a movie of such brilliance it's the only time we'll ever experience a movie like that. For me unquestionably the best film I've ever seen. One where rewatches will let me understand it more, and as an Atheist very contemplative especially given mortality does not end in a blissful heaven.

Masterpiece.

We then cut to the wispy colour which is the tree of life that opens the film then, finally we end on the photo of a Suspension Bridge. This is the part that has me thinking more than anything. Why did Malick want to end the Film like this? What does it mean? It's a clear symbol, a bridge over water. I'm still trying to understand the meaning of that to me.

I actually thought that Penn's character killed himself on the bridge. The 'beach' and the elevator, both lead to me believing he was getting acceptance from his family for ending his life. You could probably tie some meaning to water (nature) continuosly flowing under the bridge (man made).

Only seen it once, but wasn't there a bridge in an earlier scene? Maybe that ties in too but as Malick mostly leaves his movies open for individual interpretation it could mean quite a few different things.

Just got back from Argo

Easily the best film I've seen this year , not a dull moment in the film and one that kept you entertained

Off to read up about the true events now to see if the film is even remotely close

Wondering when some bright spark in Hollwood is going to green light the real Argo now

ive seen 1 great fact - the fake movie studio received 26 scripts during the operation, including one from senior spielbergo

and i agree, best film ive seen this year, i felt the only bit that was possibly stretched was the ending, maybe a bit of dramatic effect thrown in (but to be fair it worked) other than that everything seemed completely believable which given the content is amazing

The bridge symbolises (as always) connection. You can interpret that as you want, but for me the character Jack looks desperate for a human connection throughout his childhood (that scene in the woman's house a good example) and his closest connection is with his younger brother, who (as we learn) dies. The film is really Malick trying to reconcile that loss, and the final shot suggests at least that he's found a means to do that, and in my view it is through nostalgia, as he is a very, very nostalgic director.

There are probably more spiritual interpretations of the final 20 minute slog (which it is, very poor compared to what came before it) but I'm not one for Malick's outlook on life, the universe and everything. But the good thing is you don't need to be, and thankfully he's a good enough director to know not to push it.

So yeah, the (man-made) bridge is a connection to the past (just like film), and Jack (Malick) finds something redemptive in it.

Yeah I can go with that. Bridge is a man made connection. Built to connect people. He does ring his father in the elevator, he may be the person or one of the re connections.

As for why Penn doesn't kill himself is because he descends in the elevator and the beeps get quicker, almost like an ecg heart monitor. He's then down on the ground beside the only tree in this man made jungle and he smiles.

Also, the final 20min sequence we see an old man's hand as if in first person reaching out to be touched by his mother's and and it turns youthful. This for me is key, he will die an old man and be with his family and others (the other walking people in the scenes) again. In the way they were when he was happiest

Also the dinosaur who shows grace and mercy for the other. Means nothing as nature destroys them all with the meteor. It's just part of Malick showing the triviality of life and death in the grand scheme of things.

One final thing, is Penn religious? Yes his family and mother especially were. But is Penn initially thinking his brother is gone forever.? That's why he is so depressed. If he was religious wouldn't he believe he's there in the afterlife? Does he find belief in it at the end, or acceptance of life as it is, unchangeable and inevitable and finds peace with that?

I suppose as always we can interpret ourselves.

a quiz q.....I turned down the roles of james bond,han solo & john mclaine (to make fairly shit movies) who am I ????

I know the answer so won't spoil it for anyone else but when you see how many films he was almost in, it'd be no surprise if he had topped himself. Several oscars went to people who got roles ahead of him, including two to Jack for roles where he'd originally been first choice. Poor bugger!

Ford is damn lucky. Especially give you he made Blade Runner and Witness in between parts of those trilogies.

And Dustin Hoffman was one of the original choices for Rick Deckard - Imagine how different that movie would have been? :blink:

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â