The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Useless fact courtesy of Q.I.

'Thumbs up' meant 'kill him' or 'proceed' in Roman times. They flipped it in Gladiator because we associate up with positive and down with negative.

Useless fact courtesy of Q.I.

'Thumbs up' meant 'kill him' or 'proceed' in Roman times. They flipped it in Gladiator because we associate up with positive and down with negative.

The fact is right, as in thumbs up used to mean kill them.

But I don't think it was Gladiator that first flipped it. I think it had been generally accepted (wrongly) that it was the other way round before that.

Could be wrong...

The fact is right, as in thumbs up used to mean kill them.

But I don't think it was Gladiator that first flipped it. I think it had been generally accepted (wrongly) that it was the other way round before that.

Could be wrong...

You're right. It was used in every gladiator film/book/comic/playground game for as long as I can remember.

Here is a 'help me remember the name of a film that I can't remember the name of' question;

It is about a family. There is a mother and father, a daughter and son. It is a British film, in a rural setting. I would guess the film was made possibly late 90s, more likely early 00s. I watched it on Film Four maybe 5/6 years ago. Early on in the film, the son of the family believes there to be something dodgy going on between his sister and the father when he sees them 'playing' in the bath together. The kids are in their early teens, I believe. It transpires that the father and daughter are in a sexual relationship with one an other. I seem to recall that the mother refuses to have sex with the father, and has done for some time, so he begins to abuse the daughter. The suggestion is made that the daughter is (something approaching) consensual to this, but that is not the case. Things come to a head when the abuse is reveiled by the daughter in front of the whole family, and, when the father denies the fact, the daughter then states that he only dhutwu so she won't get pregnant. To be more specific, she screams 'You **** me up my arse. You **** me'. That's the last thing I remember about it. I'm not sure what happens after that.

I was almost certain that it was called The Pillbox, named so because there was an old WWII Pillbox near to the family home where the father would take the daughter and rape her. However, having seaching IMDB, there is no record of any film, or short, or one off TV drama called that. There is a movie on there called The Pill Box from 2001, but that is a comedy, which obviously this is not. I do believe that the film was called The *something*, and the *something* was this old building where the abuse took place.

I would be very grateful to anyone who can name the film from those clues. It beggers belief that I can remember so much of the content, but not the name, really. Oh, and to anyone that reads this, then someday happens to watch the film - sorry for partially spoiling it ^___^

The last time this happened to me, I had to wait until the film was on TV again, stumbling upon it, and then realised that this is that film!. The in question on that occasion was Lawn Dogs. If ever there were a film you could attribute the term 'hidden gem' to, that is it. Great movie.

The last time this happened to me
I was wondering why you wanted to remember this film until I read this sentence. Sorry to hear it *cough*.

To be more specific, she screams 'You **** me up my arse. You **** me'. That's the last thing I remember about it. I'm not sure what happens after that.

PostmaApproved.png

No idea on the film. Can you name any of the actors/actresses in it?

Wow, the "Did you know?" section for The War Zone on IMDb makes me want to see The War Zone.

It's not the most comfortable movie to watch. Excellent though, Winstone is superb in it.

It certainly doesn't sound like the most comfortable movie. But to hear about crew breaking down and actors almost leaving production, it certainly piques the aul' curiosity.

Was it The War Zone Hogso?

Yesssssssssssssss :clap:

Thanks D1. I was a little off with the title, but the DVD cover does reference the Pillbox

MV5BMTU5MDgwMTQ5Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDg3NjUyMQ@@._V1._SX348_SY475_.jpg

Seems I can't remember it that well though, as I couldnt remember Tilda Swanson or Colin Farell being in it, and I can't remember anything about them having moved from London to the rural location.

And thanks BOF aswell, I may also have to buy it seeing as it's that cheap.

Just watched North by NorthWest as part of my getting into Hitchcock phase. Great fun. but 50#s dialogue does make me laugh at times. Cary Grant just casually going from officeman to actionman without much worry at all seemed rather typical. Good fun though.

Though the line "That wasn't sporting. Using real bullets!" at the end cracks me up. Different eras and all that.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â