The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Saw Rec last night. Started slow but got better in the end. A lot better, I have to say.

And also I saw a much recommended film this Sunday. The Hangover. Excellent movie. Probably the best comedy in a long time.

Just watched Requiem for a dream. Tough going. I recognised a lot of it from a night I had on a balcony, but also a time I was on highly addictive Tramadol after surgery.

Hard to pick my favourite scene. Maybe Burstyn's soliloquy about being lonely.

It's alright. I never read the graphic novel, and to me it was a fairly entertaining, if slightly lengthy superhero movie. The people I watched it with were all fans of the book and were disappointed by it. I think if you want to know the story of Watchmen, the best way to do so is just to get hold of the comic book.

Detour. The ultimate B&W pulp noir B-movie.

Ultimate? Don't get me wrong, it's fantastic but better than Double Jeopardy, or DOA?

Ah, a noir fan!

As a really sleazy "B" pulp, yeah, I think so.

Double Indemnity (I assume that's what you meant) is fantastic, but it's about middle class people trying to pull off a (relatively) sophisticated scam. Barbara Stanwyck is classy (if amoral). But Detour is all about sleazebag losers. Ann Savage in that film is a loathesome harpy - but that's what makes it great.

Haven't see DOA yet - it's on my list.

My noir top ten probably changes daily , but would include:

Detour

Double Indemnity

The Big Combo

Out of the Past

Criss Cross

In a Lonely Place

The Killers

Fallen Angel

The Maltese Falcon

The Big Sleep

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â