The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Posted (edited)
On 05/10/2024 at 12:40, Designer1 said:

I'm booked to see it in the morning. From what I've read I think I may enjoy it more than the people who just wanted the first film again. I like the idea of the tonal shift to an even darker story with the surreal, rough around the edges musical interludes.

We shall see I suppose.

Saw it earlier...

spacer.png

So yeah, I didn't hate it as much as a lot of people appear to, but it is a very different animal to the first one, and about as far away from the comic book Joker as you can get.

Parts of it work, the musical aspect didn't jar as much as I thought it might and visually it impressed me. Two main performances were good, with Gaga confidently nailing this low key version of Quinn and Phoenix bringing his usual gravitas.

The problems for me were that it just didn't keep my interest throughout due to the patchy, downbeat nature of the narrative coupled with an obviously layered but ultimately dull story. The biggest crime of all though  - keeping the two main characters apart for long stretches even though the scenes when they were together were the best part.

Swing and a big miss for me unfortunately. 

Edited by Designer1

image.thumb.jpeg.339013c0023686ab53262e9ffdc1ad94.jpeg

On Netflix.  I’m not a prolific movie watcher but Past Lives is probably the best thing I’ve seen in years. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Wolverine and Deadpool didn’t do much for me, anyone else?

Aside from the occasionally funny one liners from Deadpool I didn’t really enjoy it. Saying that I am not really a fan of the Marvel films in general. I think that because of the comic book origins they are lazily written because you can get away with anything, it’s just a comic!

But even taking that into account I thought it was a bit naff all round.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Wolverine and Deadpool didn’t do much for me, anyone else?

Aside from the occasionally funny one liners from Deadpool I didn’t really enjoy it. Saying that I am not really a fan of the Marvel films in general. I think that because of the comic book origins they are lazily written because you can get away with anything, it’s just a comic!

But even taking that into account I thought it was a bit naff all round.

I'm with you, I thought it was absolute bobbins. Because of the popularity of Reynolds in particular alongside the first one it was always going to be popular, but it was like watching a bad sketch show with standard CGI. With lots of jokes aimed at Fox who gave Deadpool the chance on the big screen, which I thought was in poor taste. Reynolds was struggling till then after the abomination that was green lantern.

Felt like too much fan service with a cameo in every other bloody scene.

The best bits were whenever dogpool turned up. Which tells you all you need to know.

• Like 2

Its Whats Inside - Really fun thriller comedy body swap movie just out on Netflix. stylish and clever. Would recommend

Speak No Evil - Creepy little horror/ social commentary movie starring the always brilliant James McAvoy. Also recommended!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TheMelvillan said:

Speak No Evil - Creepy little horror/ social commentary movie starring the always brilliant James McAvoy. Also recommended!

Yeah, it's not quite as good as the original but it's way better than I expected and McAvoy is brilliantly unhinged in it.

1 hour ago, TheMelvillan said:

Its Whats Inside - Really fun thriller comedy body swap movie just out on Netflix. stylish and clever. Would recommend

I really enjoyed this

BBC4 are showing "Threads" tonight at 22:00 - the 1984 film about a nuclear attack on Sheffield. It'll be only the fourth time it's ever been shown and the first since 2003.

It'll keep you awake.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

BBC4 are showing "Threads" tonight at 22:00 - the 1984 film about a nuclear attack on Sheffield. It'll be only the fourth time it's ever been shown and the first since 2003.

It'll keep you awake.

Still remember watching that when it was first broadcast. Every kid in the playground was talking about it the next day. Harrowing stuff and It definitely stays with you.

• Like 1

Trap.

Absolute lunacy, complete and utter nonsense, so many holes and implausiblities and bad writing. It's total and utter horseshit.

But it works. 7/10.

M Night, you son of a bitch, you've done it again.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Still remember watching that when it was first broadcast. Every kid in the playground was talking about it the next day. Harrowing stuff and It definitely stays with you.

The 🇺🇸take on this was The Day After. Traumatized the hell out of every kid who saw it 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

The 🇺🇸take on this was The Day After. Traumatized the hell out of every kid who saw it 

I don’t remember Threads but I’m sure The Day After was on TV in the UK sometime after it was shown in the US. Got a big reaction on both sides of the Atlantic I think. I was at school and off on Easter Holidays when the Falklands War broke out. Firstly I thought it was somewhere off the coast of Scotland and secondly that the Third World War was imminent. Long time ago but I’m sure we got videos at school advising what happened during and after a nuclear strike and how to survive the aftermath. I did O Grade and Higher Modern Studies and a lot of that was about the Cold War, Vietnam, the Cuban Missile Crisis and MAD.

Watched Threads earlier today, it’s just so bleak it’s untrue. Different story obviously but at times it reminded me of the 70s original series of Survivors. Funnily enough I watched the first Trainspotting movie a few days ago which brought back memories of the early and mid 1980s with the HIV/Heroin crisis in Edinburgh and beyond. With the threat of nuclear war and the HIV/AIDS epidemic, as a teenager you often wondered what life would be like after school.

Edited by AJG23
  • Like 3

spacer.png

Loved it.

Fair play to Damien Leone for sticking to his vision and not getting involved with a big studio. It's his film and his story made the way he wanted and it's all the better for it.

If you like the other two (particularly part 2)  then go see it, if you didn't then this won't change your mind.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Designer1 said:

spacer.png

Loved it.

Fair play to Damien Leone for sticking to his vision and not getting involved with a big studio. It's his film and his story made the way he wanted and it's all the better for it.

If you like the other two (particularly part 2)  then go see it, if you didn't then this won't change your mind.

Just got back from seeing it.

Loved it.

I think that Leone has done a great job of just giving enough lore to keep people interested, I was a little concerned that it would just be Art doing Art things but man, this goes off on such a weird tangent that I can't wait for the 4th film to see where it goes next.

Spoiler

I thought that bringing Victoria to the forefront was a great move, it saved Art from becoming stale, he isn't actually the main villain in this film it is Victoria, at first I was missing The Little Pale Girl and wasn't best pleased about Victoria taking her spot but by the end I was fully invested in her and thought she played it brilliantly, I do still wish that The Little Pale Girl made a return though.

The other thing that was really good about Victoria is that it gives a little bit of meaning to the first film which up until this point had zero story whatsoever but now it all ties in.

Sienna is fast becoming one of my favourite final girls and if the next film lands she will deserve her spot right up there, I loved the way that she isn't just a bad bitch who cracks on with her life and goes ham on Art, she is fully **** up by what happened in the previous film and while Jonathan is trying his best to move on with his life (how successfully is debateable) Sienna is still a wreck. I would have liked Jonathan to have played a bigger part but then again, killing him off and doing it off screen I thought was actually a good move.

As for the kills, I've heard of people walking out, there is a youtuber who I actually trust and they said that 2 people fainted during their screening (before the film they were questioning whether this actually happens funnily enough) and yeah, while the kills were absolutely brutal, I am just totally desensitized to them these days and found them to be quite enjoyable.

The shower kills were great but they still don't top the bedroom scene for me, I doubt if anything will for a long time, although the scene when Art is doing the killing and Victoria is doing the...eerrrrr. thing with the glass was awesome.

One thing that I did think though was that Art has lost a little of his creepiness, when you look at the cafe and Halloween shop scenes from the first two films, a lot of what made them was the way he would stand completely still either glaring or with an exaggerated **** up smile on his face, I think the scene in this film that was supposed to give off them vibes was the bar scene with Santa and while it was highly enjoyable and Art played it really well, he was in full on clown mode, there wasn't any of that sinister creepiness that he had before.

Onto the ending, the final 20 minutes were **** crazy, I got real Evil Dead 2 vibes from it, in fact I think that there were a few nods to other films in this one, there was The Shining moment, Evil Dead 2, Pet Semetary 2,  I kind of even had a bit of a Poltergeist moment as well, I think that one might have just been me though, and I think that Sienna actually said that she based this performance on Mia from Fede Alvarez's Evil Dead.

All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed it, and while I know that they aren't the greatest films ever,  I'm a huge fan of them, Terrifier 2 has long been my comfort film, if I want something to watch while I'm falling asleep that is nearly always my go to film for some reason,

Apologies if the above is a little all over the shop, but I have literally just got back from it and haven't had time to get my thoughts fully in order to write down.

Edited by leemond2008
  • Like 2

Just having a look at the films I've seen at the cinema this year, I thought I'd seen a fair few more than I actually have.

Late Night with the Devil

A Quiet Place: Day One

Maxxxine

Longlegs

Twisters

Alien Romulus

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice

The Substance

Terrifier 3

Caught Terrifier last night, agree with the above comments. It doesn’t do anything different to the first two so if they weren’t for you this one definitely isn’t.

I thought if anything this one was nastier than the first two and they did try to give a bit more personality to Art, whether that was for the better im not sure.

In terms of overall story this is probably the most polished of the 3 films. 

Overall I enjoyed it but I think I preferred the second one a bit more. Need another watch at home I think to really engross myself into the film.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Caught Terrifier last night, agree with the above comments. It doesn’t do anything different to the first two so if they weren’t for you this one definitely isn’t.

I thought if anything this one was nastier than the first two and they did try to give a bit more personality to Art, whether that was for the better im not sure.

In terms of overall story this is probably the most polished of the 3 films. 

Overall I enjoyed it but I think I preferred the second one a bit more. Need another watch at home I think to really engross myself into the film.

I'm still leaning towards the second film as well, I thought Sienna was great in 3 but preferred Art in 2.

On 10/10/2024 at 13:12, rodders0223 said:

Trap.

Absolute lunacy, complete and utter nonsense, so many holes and implausiblities and bad writing. It's total and utter horseshit.

But it works. 7/10.

M Night, you son of a bitch, you've done it again.

Spoiler

The hardest one for me to swallow was why would they set a trap for 4550-year-old man at a young person pop concert?

I also told my youngest son that I was into lady Raven and he called me a clearing in the woods

Edited by Follyfoot

On 12/10/2024 at 11:37, Designer1 said:

spacer.png

Loved it.

watched the first two this week and just watched the substance tonight

i think i need to watch a disney cartoon or 2 to balance my head out right now

Got a list of decent stuff on Disney to get through.

Last night it was “ The Banshees of Insherrin”. Certainly not what I was expecting but enjoyable anyway.

Tonight it’s “The Menu” with Ralph Fiennes and a host of well known faces.

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â