The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Have to say, glad I saw some of your lot's early reactions to Longlegs, I adjusted my expectations accordingly going in and, yeah it was alright, decent enough thriller, but seeing marketing guff plastered all over like "Scariest film of the last decade!" is well, well wide of the mark.  Also sadly a couple of occasions when ol' Nic juuuuust veered over into "full Cage" territory which pulled me out of it, when that happens my mind just automatically goes to the Community bit.

Thus endeth this three weekend run of consecutive films, the scores on the doors for me:

• 1st place - MaXXXine (10/10)
  • 2nd place - In A Violent Nature (8/10)
  • 3rd place - Longlegs (7/10)
  • Like 2

0e7d395a95469dc21691d1a303917f96d41f3c45

Le plaisir (Max Ophüls) - Enjoyed it, visually great

febf9af36b558d4794e7b88ae9b5961de891854c

La boulangère de Monceau (Éric Rohmer) - Liked it

Edited by useless

Furiosa is bloody fantastic, didn’t manage to catch it in the cinema but wish I had made the effort now.

Hard to imagine how it could be any better really and probably manages to eclipse the already excellent Fury Road.

How George Miller is knocking out films of this quality at his age is amazing, truly a must watch.

Edited by AVFCDAN
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AVFCDAN said:

Furiosa is bloody fantastic, didn’t manage to catch it in the cinema but wish I had made the effort now.

Hard to imagine how it could be any better really and probably manages to eclipse the already excellent Fury Road.

How George Miller is knocking out films of this quality at his age is amazing, truly a must watch.

I watched it twice at the cinema. Well worth it for the sound design alone.

• Like 1

I watched Furiosa at the weekend and thought it was good but not great. It was about 30/45 minutes too long imo. Still probably my 2nd favorite after Fury road though 

6 minutes ago, Bizzzle said:

I watched Furiosa at the weekend and thought it was good but not great. It was about 30/45 minutes too long imo. Still probably my 2nd favorite after Fury road though 

As much as I love Fury Road and Furiosa, The Road Warrior still tops them all. Lost count of the times I've watched it and it's as close to a perfect action/adventure movie you can get.

8 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

As much as I love Fury Road and Furiosa, The Road Warrior still tops them all. Lost count of the times I've watched it and it's as close to a perfect action/adventure movie you can get.

I suppose it is my joint 2nd favorite with The Road Warrior. I still like Fury Road the best 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bizzzle said:

I suppose it is my joint 2nd favorite with The Road Warrior. I still like Fury Road the best 

Interesting how different people view things. I love the original films but am take it or leave it with the new ones (possibly as feels like Max is barely in them).

On 21/07/2024 at 16:39, rodders0223 said:

Watched civil war.

I'm a huge huge fan of Alex Garland.

I thought it was pretty shit tbh. Looked amazing, sounded amazing, killer last 20 minutes, horrific last 5.

I really enjoyed it. 

brumes-d-automne-dimitri-kirsanoff.jpg

Brumes d'automne (Dimitri Kirsanoff) - Great silent era film, from director of Ménilmontant and in a similar vein to that masterpiece

1460px--Jay_Leyda_-_A_Bronx_Morning_(193

A Bronx Morning (Jay Leyda) - Documentary footage of The Bronx edited together 'city symphony' style,  very good artistically, but also to look back at that time

MV5BODA2YWM5OTktZDI0My00OGE3LTk1MGItYzFh

L'École des facteurs (Jacques Tati) - Very good, enjoyed it, charming and cheerful

20 minutes ago, sne said:

Anyone hyped for the 70 resp 51 minutes longer Zach Snyder Rebel Moon directors cuts :crylaugh:

spacer.png

• Haha 1

This looks right up my street, it's the sophomore effort from the writer/director of the brilliant Caveat from a couple of years ago (Damian Mc Carthy).

Out in the UK in August (probably be a limited release but hopefully it'll get a showing near me).

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I dont know why i agreed to watch this. What a pile of 💩💩💩 i can't believe long agreed to be in this

Screenshot_20240726_112839_Chrome.jpg

I enjoyed that film.  

A bit bonkers.

Solid 8/10 for me.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Jon said:

I enjoyed that film.  

A bit bonkers.

Solid 8/10 for me.  

Im suprised 😂

I thought it was one of the strangeat films ive seen and the end just seemed ridiculous 😂

6 hours ago, sne said:

Anyone hyped for the 70 resp 51 minutes longer Zach Snyder Rebel Moon directors cuts :crylaugh:

I understand these words individually but collectively have no idea what any of this means 🤣 

Edited by Nor-Cal Villan

1 hour ago, Jon said:

I enjoyed that film.  

A bit bonkers.

Solid 8/10 for me.  

I think it's one of Smiths weakest films tbh. I enjoyed Johnny Depps character though 😁

I also love that the idea came from an actual online ad 😵

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â